Push Press Beginning to Stall

I’m starting to get stuck at 155 in the push press, and am having trouble maxing out for 5 reps. Last week I hit 155 for 4 reps, today I just barely pushed out 3. Any advice?? should I switch it up with some other exercise??

I would not switch it out just yet. Give this advice a try:

Since you decreased and not increased a rep, I would drop the weight 10 lbs and increase the number of reps to 7 for each set. Once you can do this then increase by 5 lbs and repeat until you’re past 155.

wow thanks for the link! that’ll definitely help my lifting now. I’ve always had trouble when it came to deciding whether or not to increase weight or to try and increase reps. This clears up everything.

just one thing normally i ramp the weight up to one top set of 5, with 4 warm up sets. Would I do 3x7 with a lower weight or try to ramp it up to the lower weight and do a set of 7??

Where in your routine do you do the push press? It uses the power from your legs. If you don’t do it early in your routine, or especially if you do it after squats, that will impact it. You should do them before any lower body training.

Stu

I normally do it after my medium/heavy sets of squats.On mondays and fridays. Wouldn’t it affect my squat numbers if I did it before squats??

[quote]NeedforStrength wrote:
I normally do it after my medium/heavy sets of squats.On mondays and fridays. Wouldn’t it affect my squat numbers if I did it before squats??[/quote]

Not significantly. In fact it can work as a warmup. Power dissipates faster than strength so you always want to do your power exercises first, then strength, then endurance.

Stu