T Nation

Push in the Right Direction?

Hey everyone,

I’m mostly looking for pointers in where I should be going in the diet department, My stats are:
6’2 193lbs 9%BF
Vs my goals:
6’2 215lbs 7-9% BF

I’m obviously interested in bulking up, I’m following a very strict work out program:
Monday - Chest
Tues - Bi/tri/forearms
Wed - Shoulders and back
Thurs - Abs
Fri - Legs
Sat - Cardio
Sun- Recovery

So far it has been working for me (I’ve seen a 2 inch gain in bi-tri area/4 inch gain in chest/ETC) But some of the gains have been straight bulk with lower definition, I guess what I’m asking is what would be a good diet to follow in order to continue the mass gains but grant myself more definition?

[quote]JdmSpartan89 wrote:
I’m obviously interested in bulking up, I’m following a very strict work out program:
Monday - Chest
Tues - Bi/tri/forearms
Wed - Shoulders and back
Thurs - Abs
Fri - Legs
Sat - Cardio
Sun- Recovery[/quote]
If it’s really been working for you, that’s one thing, but I don’t know how you can hit biceps and forearms with any serious intensity without effecting back training the next day.

What time frame are we talking about with these changes; how long have you been training like this? Also, how much larger have your legs gotten? I mean, you measured arms and chest, so you probably measured thighs and calves also. Right?

[quote]My stats are:
6’2 193lbs 9%BF
Vs my goals:
6’2 215lbs 7-9% BF[/quote]
Setting aside the actual bodyfat percentages, you’re basically looking to add about 20 pounds, with no visible fat gain? It’s good to have a goal/target in sight, but I hope you’re not in a rush.

What’s a good route to take if I want to travel from Ireland to Idaho, but I don’t want to go over water?

Dude, what you’re asking can’t be done quite the way you’re thinking. To end up at a lean 215 or so, you’re looking at first bulking up to probably 230-something and then cutting back down to where you want to be. Again, you don’t want to rush it. Just be consistent with the hard training and the quality nutrition, keep an eye on progress each week, and you should stay on the right track.

If your current stats are anywhere near accurate, you’re actually in a pretty good spot to add some size with minimal fat gain since you’re fairly lean.

Some nutrition reading that could give you some ideas:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
If it’s really been working for you, that’s one thing, but I don’t know how you can hit biceps and forearms with any serious intensity without effecting back training the next day.[/quote]

I won’t sit and say I recover faster than anyone else, we both know that’s just not the case. I have noticed some adverse effects of training in this order, do you think I would see better routine effectiveness if I did shoulders/back after abs or legs?

What time frame are we talking about with these changes; how long have you been training like this? Also, how much larger have your legs gotten? I mean, you measured arms and chest, so you probably measured thighs and calves also. Right?[/quote]

Time frame is about 7 months of intense training, with consistent supplementary intake. Thighs have increased by 2.6 inches, calves by 1.5inches. (calves not my strong suite)

Setting aside the actual bodyfat percentages, you’re basically looking to add about 20 pounds, with no visible fat gain? It’s good to have a goal/target in sight, but I hope you’re not in a rush.[/quote]

I’m in no rush, just trying to get the info I need to take the right path in the shortest amount of time. I don’t mind if it takes a year or two, even three. I just don’t want to go the wrong way and turn that into a 5 year mistake on my part.

[quote]What’s a good route to take if I want to travel from Ireland to Idaho, but I don’t want to go over water?

Dude, what you’re asking can’t be done quite the way you’re thinking. To end up at a lean 215 or so, you’re looking at first bulking up to probably 230-something and then cutting back down to where you want to be. Again, you don’t want to rush it. Just be consistent with the hard training and the quality nutrition, keep an eye on progress each week, and you should stay on the right track.

If your current stats are anywhere near accurate, you’re actually in a pretty good spot to add some size with minimal fat gain since you’re fairly lean.

Some nutrition reading that could give you some ideas:

[/quote]

My BF stats were given to me by a physician so as long as he knew what he was doing I hope they are accurate. measurements I’ve done myself, but measured the same way every time so the increases must be accurate.

Thank you for the links, I appreciate all the help.

[quote]JdmSpartan89 wrote:
I have noticed some adverse effects of training in this order, do you think I would see better routine effectiveness if I did shoulders/back after abs or legs?[/quote]
Probably, yep. Or swap the ab day with the arm day (so, abs day after chest, arms day after back/shoulders).

Ha, I’ll be honest, I wasn’t quite expecting that. Good stuff though. Don’t forget the general “ideal” of having the arms, calves, and neck pretty much the same measurement. That was inspired by Steve Reeves, who was also 6’2" and a lean 215ish.

Very good to hear this. Consistency in training and diet, regular measurement and photo check-ins, and keeping your short and long-term goals in mind will help keep you on track.