T Nation

Pursuing a Balanced, Hybrid Routine

Hey guys,

ok so like a lot of guys out there, I often sit and think ‘am I a beginner? Am I an intermediate?’, which leads to schools of thought like ‘will a full body routine stimulate muscle growth as efficiently now? Is a split routine too advanced?’… these questions often mean I spend more time researching and planning than I do in the gym!

I’m also one of those guys that likes training with high volume for each muscle, as well being able seeing a pump in certain muscle groups multiple times a week etc.

I’ve tried my best to integrate all this information into a routine that focuses on a certain muscle/movement each day, allows me to hit the big lifts and also train each muscle 2x a week…

please let me know what you guys think, whether this is a good idea or not, and if theres anything I should change? … I feel really good about this routine, but I feel like it can be tweaked by more educated/experienced minds!

-just a quick side note… I’ve halved my back volume due to injury… a few sets of deads, chins and rows is all i can do in a week! -hence the rear delt volume for rehab!)

many thanks guys :slight_smile:

—(*) means superset!—

Tuesday: Bench Day

Bench Press - ramp to 5rm
Incline DB Bench 3x8-10
Weighted Press Ups 3x12-15 (nothing isolates my chest like push ups!)
*Lateral Raises 3x10-12
*Cable Extensions 3x10-12

Wednesday: Deadlift Day

Trap Bar Deadlift - ramp to 5rm
Chin Ups 3x10-12
Face Pulls 3x12-15
*Leg Press 4x8-10
*BB Curls 3x10-12

OFF DAY

Friday: Press Day

Military Press - ramp to 5rm
DB Press 3x8-10
Weighted Press Ups 3x12-15
*Lateral Raises 3x10-12
*Cable Extensions 4x8-10 (gone for 4 sets here since i feel shoulder presses arent enough for triceps)

Saturday: Squat Day

High Bar Squats - ramp to 5rm
Leg Press 3x8-10
Delt Rows 3x10-12
*Calf Press 3x12-15
*BB Curls 4x8-10

OFF DAY

OFF DAY

Repeat!

I really appreciate your thoughts as always :slight_smile:

L.

Ok I wasn’t clear about one thing… this is ultimately a hybrid between push/pull and a 4 day split

… Personally, I dislike that split… A lot! Depending on your goals, maybe strength, or for sports. As for hypertrophy related, this one won’t work. As for occupational therapy and whatnot, so go for it. Since I picked a dumbell for the sake of building muscle, I never did full body workouts. I prefer to break up my muscle groups.

Tue. -Chest & Tricep w/side lateral raises

Wed. -Back & Bicep w/leg press

Fri. -Shoulder & Tricep w/push up

Sat. -Leg & Bicep w/row

Looks like a decent split to me.

thanks for the responses! BlueCollar, was that sarcastic? haha.

[quote]lboro21 wrote:
thanks for the responses! BlueCollar, was that sarcastic? haha.[/quote]

No Sir! Providing I understood and decribed your routine correctly I see no issue and use a similar approach at times.

Isn’t this basically the 5/3/1 split? For that reason it looks okay but anytime someone mentions “hybrid routine” I automatically assume they are trying to take the ideas of 2 good programs and use their newbie skills to combine them into 1 bad program.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
Isn’t this basically the 5/3/1 split? For that reason it looks okay but anytime someone mentions “hybrid routine” I automatically assume they are trying to take the ideas of 2 good programs and use their newbie skills to combine them into 1 bad program.[/quote]

Fair point. would you say this is now a bad program?

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]lboro21 wrote:
thanks for the responses! BlueCollar, was that sarcastic? haha.[/quote]

No Sir! Providing I understood and decribed your routine correctly I see no issue and use a similar approach at times. [/quote]

thanks! yeah I think that being able to thoroughly stimulate each muscle as well as providing an addidiontal ‘top-up’ of stimuli throughout the week (whilst allowing adequate recovery) should help anyone gain a few solid pounds!

[quote]lboro21 wrote:

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]lboro21 wrote:
thanks for the responses! BlueCollar, was that sarcastic? haha.[/quote]

No Sir! Providing I understood and decribed your routine correctly I see no issue and use a similar approach at times. [/quote]

thanks! yeah I think that being able to thoroughly stimulate each muscle as well as providing an addidiontal ‘top-up’ of stimuli throughout the week (whilst allowing adequate recovery) should help anyone gain a few solid pounds![/quote]

If you reach a point where your primary lifts begin to ‘stall’ the first move should be to remove the auxillary work.

Similar but better laid out…