Purpose of Ammonia?

What exactly does this do for lifters? Is it harmful?

[quote]tumbeh wrote:
What exactly does this do for lifters? Is it harmful? [/quote]

the ammonia used by us powerlifters is different than the cleaning agent, it comes in small capsules in bottles. we sniff it to give a bit of an adrenaline rush before lifting which often gives a stronger muscular contraction

I like ammonia. I doubt that popping a few caps at a meet or for the occcasional big gym lift will hurt you. However, I have mild asthama, and I have sometimes had a weird reaction off of ammonia, where my chest tightened and it was hard to get a big gulp of air before the lift.

If you do buy some ammonia, go with the caps first. That nose tork shit will fuck you up (for a minute or two anyway) if you are accustomed to ammonia.

It wakes EVERTHING up all your senses and gets the nervous system FIRING!!! May give a few extra fibers to fire to move that load

Phill

For how long does it help?

Would there be any point in taking it before like a football game?

How different is it to the smelling salts fighters use?

[quote]Agressive Napkin wrote:

Would there be any point in taking it before like a football game?[/quote]

No maybe before a big Play, it just wakes you the hell up NOW!!.

Yes same thing they use to wake PPl/fighters up that have been knocked out

Phill

I used Nose Tork for the first time last Monday. YEEEOWWWW

Even with wafting, you have to be careful not to get too big of a whiff.

Ammonia stimulates your CNS for approximately 8-15 seconds.

When people see me using a capsule they almost always wonder what I’m doing. If you’ve ever seen someone get knocked unconscious at a sporting event, often times the trainer will pop a capsule and hold it to the player’s nose, whereupon they generally wake up. So, apply that to someone who is conscious when they take a hit of ammonia.

I can’t imagine this being a good thing for you to do on a regular basis, but once in awhile, it’s probably not that bad.

For the record though, you will never have a stronger lift then you will after taking a hit of ammonia. I get mine from house of pain. Like 10 caps for 6 bucks…

[quote]Phill wrote:
Agressive Napkin wrote:

Would there be any point in taking it before like a football game?

No maybe before a big Play, it just wakes you the hell up NOW!!.

Yes same thing they use to wake PPl/fighters up that have been knocked out

Phill

[/quote]

I haven’t used ammonia yet for PLing, mainly because my gym freaks out about the use of (gasp) chalk, so I can’t even imagine what they will think of ammonia. However, as I get more serious about PLing, I will incorporate it in my training before trying it in a meet.

On a tangent. I think the use of ammonia to wake up an unconscious athlete is borderline retarded.

If you think about the mechanism involved in knocking someone out (i.e. a strong blow to the head), it is also quite possible that they have sustained a neck injury at the same time. The body’s first reaction to ammonia is to pull away from the smell as quickly as possible. This jerking action could be catastrophic if there was indeed a neck injury.

I understand that it used quite regularly to awaken the unconscious fighter/athlete, but when you really think about it, I’m not sure it’s the best option.

Just my .02 worth.

Go to your local discount store and buy a gallon jug of ammonia. Empty out a supplement bottle, preferably something that contained capsules or some other dry supplement.

Pack some cotton or paper towels in the bottle and pour some ammonia in. Huff on this before a critical lift. Most people will think you are snorting creatine or whatever bottle you emptied out. Makes for good times!

[quote]drdgmuro wrote:
Go to your local discount store and buy a gallon jug of ammonia. Empty out a supplement bottle, preferably something that contained capsules or some other dry supplement.

Pack some cotton or paper towels in the bottle and pour some ammonia in. Huff on this before a critical lift. Most people will think you are snorting creatine or whatever bottle you emptied out. Makes for good times![/quote]

thats a good idea…and very funny…