T Nation

Purpose in Life?

I know this is going to seem like a really lame question and I am going to get burned really bad, here goes any way.
Does anybody have any answers as to how you go about determining your lifes purpose or finding a meaning full career/job/business?
You know... like wake up in the morning and you just can't wait to get to work cause you love what your doing.
I certainly envy those people who know exactly what they want to do with their lives.

As you may know from reading my stream of consciousness type posts, I can relate to what you're saying. I've been searching for some direction and purpose in my life for close to a year. You know what I realized just this week, in fact? Spirituality is a beautiful thing. Pick up "The Prayer of Jabez." It's simple yet powerful. It only took me an hour to read this little book, but hopefully the message will stay with me forever.

Try reading "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. This book was extremely helpful for me and many others.

For about a year I worked for a temp agency and did dozens of different jobs and figured out(to some degree)what I enjoyed doing and what I didn't.Didn't you take a apptitude test(I think that's what it's called)in high school?

What a Jesus freak, CMC!

I'm kidding. Coincidentally, my wife read the same book and was quite touched.

I haven't read it, but think that therein lies the key. Prayer, meditation, getting in touch with yourself, getting in touch with your higher power - whatever - do some soul searching.

It seems to me that the happiest people are the ones who take full advantage of their God-given talents.

What are your talents, DS2003? Would you enjoy making a living using those talents? If so, then you're on you way!

Actually, that's on your way. Sorry.

JOHNNY LAW: I dont know for your high school counseling process, but here it was absolute shit. They pretty much chearleed you based on what you give them. If you are biased or irrealist, they cant even make the difference. No way of testing it real-time (work terms or exploration days in company of actual workers) either. Sucks big time.

OTOH, I found a far more competent career counselor at the university level. Game me a 300 questionnaire to fill out. When the computer results came out, I was given a 25 page report that absolutely was accurate in my case. Gives you psychological profile, interests, and even a continuum of jobs going with grades (-100 not like you at all to +100 ideal job), including something like 30 different levels of detail and career examples. Now that`s a test worth being taken.