Purple Rain

[quote]worzel wrote:
Remember that rumour about Prince having some of his ribs removed so he could suck himself off![/quote]

Same rumor a lot of people ran around for Marilyn Manson, too… Seems like a pretty popular rumor…

[quote]BiP wrote:
Sadly it seems that most people my age (20-25) don’t appreciate him, at least the ones I know. Hell, even in other age groups the only person I know who likes him is my former guitar teacher and (to some degree) my older brother.
Went to one of his O2 concerts in London about three years ago, as well as to the aftershow. It was absolutely amazing. It’s sad that you rarely see such a combination of high level musicianship and showmanship anymore.

B.[/quote]

I went to see him at the O2 in 2007 aswell. I agree it was amazing, he’s certainly one of a kind.

Prince is a creative genius. Much moreso than Michael Jackson.

Musical Genius, mmmm I’m not sure this chick might have him beat…OH NSFW

oh and MERRY XMAS EVERYBODY

[quote]four60 wrote:
Musical Genius, mmmm I’m not sure this chick might have him beat…OH NSFW

oh and MERRY XMAS EVERYBODY[/quote]

Ahhh, the fond childhood memories.

We used to go Christmas carrolling, then go to Midnight Mass just to hear the angelic choir sing “Father Christmas Fucked My Pussy”.

[quote]belligerent wrote:

[/quote]

I would actually put them about equal but for different reasons. I mean, honestly. anyone who really listens to Jackson’s stuff should know the man will always be remembered as being a genius in music…many years after most of us are dead.

Prince is rumored to be able to play EVERY instrument. I am not sure how true that is, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Prince is rumored to be able to play EVERY instrument. I am not sure how true that is, but it wouldn’t surprise me.[/quote]

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s been exposed to ‘every’ instrument.

I’ve been playing guitar upwards of about 25 years or so now. I’m self taught which I can only attribute to having a good ear. I taught myself a bit of piano (not very good technically), and after a few days getting the mouth technique down, taught myself how to play the wife’s saxophone. Ditto cello.

My point is someone ESPECIALLY gifted creatively/musically like Prince, who is surrounded 24/7/365 by music/musicians/instruments etc certainly has the potential to become proficient in any instrument they come in contact with with just a little practice because they have the ear and ability to execute and just as importantly the time.

The other ‘instrument’ that often gets overlooked that Prince is a master of masters of is the mixing board. Dude is a production genious if he never touched another instrument in his life.

I’ll refrain from discussing his supposed mastery of skin flute.

In case there was any doubt at all…

[/quote]

I would actually put them about equal but for different reasons. I mean, honestly. anyone who really listens to Jackson’s stuff should know the man will always be remembered as being a genius in music…many years after most of us are dead.

Prince is rumored to be able to play EVERY instrument. I am not sure how true that is, but it wouldn’t surprise me.[/quote]

Well, I think its first to distinguish good musician from “entertainer or performer”. We can distinguish it ever further with “singer”. MJ was certainly anyone’s equal for entertainer or performer. I don’t think he was much revered for his “singing”. However, as you alluded to, Prince was indeed a musician in that he plays instruments. I believe it was on his first album Dirty Mind that he played all the instruments used in that album because it was made on a shoestring budget and contained controversial material.

I don’t believe he “plays all instruments”. MJ, as far as I know, played no instruments. Prince has heavily written his own music and musical scores. MJ I believe had much of his lyrics written for him and I would venture to say he could not actually “read or write music”. Prince does.

When analyzed in proper terms, Prince is hands down the better musician. He’s no slouch as a performer either and it can certainly be argued that MJ was his equal or superior as a “performer”.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[/quote]

Well, I think its first to distinguish good musician from “entertainer or performer”. We can distinguish it ever further with “singer”. MJ was certainly anyone’s equal for entertainer or performer. I don’t think he was much revered for his “singing”. However, as you alluded to, Prince was indeed a musician in that he plays instruments. I believe it was on his first album Dirty Mind that he played all the instruments used in that album because it was made on a shoestring budget and contained controversial material.

I don’t believe he “plays all instruments”. MJ, as far as I know, played no instruments. Prince has heavily written his own music and musical scores. MJ I believe had much of his lyrics written for him and I would venture to say he could not actually “read or write music”. Prince does.

When analyzed in proper terms, Prince is hands down the better musician. He’s no slouch as a performer either and it can certainly be argued that MJ was his equal or superior as a “performer”.[/quote]

Great assessment. I’ve seen Prince play the bass, rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar during one concert. He always has at least six guitars on stage with him while he plays. ALSO he gets down on the piano, which was the first instrument he learned.

Prince is the mother fucking man!

What’s really cool…is that most people that “eccentric” don’t last that long. This fucker has been like this from day one…has not changed his style, yet has managed to be a step beyond most performers for over 30 years.

The ONLY reason he isn’t more seen now is because the youngest crowd is clueless about him and he is older than “souljaboy”.

Sidenote: Forgive me for uttering the name ‘souljaboy’ in the same post as Prince.

I am sure there is some cosmic disaster waiting for all of us as a result.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
In case there was any doubt at all…

That was awesome. Best part is the end when he throws his guitar and struts off stage.

What’s really cool…is that most people that “eccentric” don’t last that long. This fucker has been like this from day one…has not changed his style, yet has managed to be a step beyond most performers for over 30 years.

The ONLY reason he isn’t more seen now is because the youngest crowd is clueless about him and he is older than “souljaboy”.

Sidenote: Forgive me for uttering the name ‘souljaboy’ in the same post as Prince.

I am sure there is some cosmic disaster waiting for all of us as a result.[/quote]

I think the reason he is not seen is that he does not want to be seen. I have seen a few interviews (from the few he has done) and it seems he is really against the way the “Industry” operates. Also, by keeping to himself he adds to the mystique.

<-------------------------------------Closet Prince fan----------------!

I am sure there is some cosmic disaster waiting for all of us as a result.[/quote]

Damn it why did you have to remind me that I have to break my lil bro’s Soulja Boy CD?

cough

Anyway, I’m surprised no one has mentioned how much Prince has ghost written/produced/played for other artists.

EDIT

Here’s a interesting story from ?uestlove from the Roots. P is Prince.

valentines 2005.

grammy weekend in la.

it was a great weekend for us. our grammy jam went BEYOND our expectations.

parties out the wazoo and my girl was with me and we were like two kids in a candy store.

that monday marked the end of the weekend and my manager was smart enough to make sure that jill’s show coincided with the festivities.

rapheal sadiq was the opener and his set smoked. jill came shortly thereafter and backstage was like a list central. midway through her set i got a text from P’s assistant (he never calls, he has assistant call first to tell you “he will call you”. this time the text said that there was a rollerskating valentines party and invite some “cool” people.

confused about that last line i asked for clarification. cool meant my crew: mos, kweli, jill, erykah, com etc…

so i made some calls and truly realized how conservative my crew was…half them mofos was talking about “im tired”. even after the show jill was like “im tired” and what the hell was kweli doing in bed before midnight?

don’t answer that.

so backstage i saw alan leeds and figured id extend an invite to team sadiq. leeds cracked the door open and there was chris rock, sadiq and eddie. alan laughed like “you’d soon as see me in the grave for you see me in skates. im going to sleep”

rock was like “sheeeeeeeit i aint rollerskating with these knees”

sadiq: “dog im too old for that shit…”

i mean none of them saw the light!..all except.

murph: yo man…i think this is historical. i think i need to see if this cat can rollerskate. that is comic gold alone.

damn…he saw it the way i see it…i mean sure, my ex and i had an awesome valentines day and mr romance was in overdrive and what better way to end the night doing couples only rollerskating?—

but dog i went just so i could live to tell yall this story.

the rink was waaaaaaaaaaay out in glenside cali. and it was so empty i knew we had to wrong rink. until i saw dj rasheeda and her 3 girlfriends skating. they were so happy to see us like yay! more people!–i felt bad like i shoulda invited more people but rash told me this is how he rolls…like 12 is a crowd to him. im like "how can you dj with no energy…you know how hard it is to keep 12 people happy?–

the staff was even more hilarious cat napping in the back (it was 1am) i asked “how often does this happen?” the manager was like “he’s paying for us to stay open until 4 so…what is your skate size?”

my ex and i did a good round alone for an hour. i told her just pretend that i rented this out. but then the more i thought about it the more i pondered “is this what i wanna aim for?” like the fame that isolates you? i mean jay does this family night stuff too but at least with him his fam of 25-30 is festive this is…scary. i mean the pizza concession guy looks like he should be studying for finals instead of watching a pizza rotate in the heated lamp umpteenth times.

come 2am we decided that maybe P changed his mind and we went back to get our shoes when suddenly

eddie comes in.

he whispered ventriloquist style “umm you just might wanna put those back on” i winked back.

sure enough p his then wife mel, larry g and his wife tina g and some friends i didn’t recognize (im sure kids and grandkids…which struck me odd that i knew someone besides me that was allowed to be up after 2am on a school night and be under the age of 10…but showbiz kids are like no other kids)

p had a large pulp fiction like briefcase in his hand and he hesitated to open it in front of me. so he walked over.

p: where is your phone?
?: my phone?
p: yeah i know you ahmir…where is it?
? (thinking he wanted to make a phone call) uh here?
p: (inspects the phone)…ok your coat is in coat check?
?: lol…wait…you think imma record something? bwahahahahah
p: uh uh…coat check this phone…
?: awww man! what about HIS PHONE! (points at murph) that is Dr. True Hollywood Story)
EM: heeey man! don’t point over here! my phone is in the car! (at this moment i was like “OH SHIT! I AM REALLY TALKING TO EDDIE MURPHY!!!” inside)

i sarcastically put the phone in coat check and wonder what the deal is…i mean this man wears high heels and he dont want me to record him in skates? as if i wanted that footage?—

then he opens the briefcase…

pulls out the most unique skates i ever seen in my life. they were clear skates that not only lights up but when you skate the friction of the wheels to the ground causes sparks to come into your trail…

sorta like the billie jean video for the skating generation.

he did a lap around the rink leaving a rainbow trail of light and sparks in his trail. and the nigga could skate!!!

murph caught up with me like

“imma get your phone for you…”

lol

Holy shit! That’s hilarious!!

I’d pay to see that!