T Nation

Pure Oxygen Supplement

anyone tried this stuff oxygen4energy.com ?
basically it’s taking several breaths of pure oxygen supposedly to aid endurance, energy, strenth & recovery.
if you’ve tried it I wanna know what you thought?
thanks…

Perri-air? 'Nuff said.

Havent tried that brand but i use a free version, its not quote as pure but does the job

“You can see that at high partial pressures of O2 (above about 40 mm Hg), hemoglobin saturation remains rather high (typically about 75 - 80%). This rather flat section of the oxygen-hemoglobin dissociation curve is called the ‘plateau.’”

Straight from a text book on human physiology. My intuition tells me that given higher amounts of O2 does not increase the rate at which it perfuses and is transported and released into the body (actually the opposite given the disassociation curve). I can imagine it being beneficial in people that have problems breathing and are below a certain baseline, but if you have a normal pair of lungs, I don’t see why it would benefit.

But hey, if it works for you then it works for you lol

Also, if anyone knows better please correct me.

My antivirus program did NOT like that site.

Pure oxygen is kinda nice if your red blood cells have bound to carbon monoxide, but I don’t think it has any effects on healthy people. And what ahu said seems right to me. Let us know if it works!

thanks Kakno and Ahu for the thoughtful input, that’s the type of discussion I was hoping to generate.

before buying this stuff I was hoping to hear from anyone who already tried it.

I just remember seeing some pro football players using it on the sidelines when playing in Denver when they’re totally gassed.

Do you have a problem with the virtually unlimited supply of oxygen in the ambient air?

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
I just remember seeing some pro football players using it on the sidelines when playing in Denver when they’re totally gassed.[/quote]

Yea me too. I figured that it just helps get them recovered faster in their fatigued state for their next round.

[quote]Ruged wrote:
thanks Kakno and Ahu for the thoughtful input, that’s the type of discussion I was hoping to generate.

before buying this stuff I was hoping to hear from anyone who already tried it.[/quote]

What? A picture of President Screw sucking on a can isn’t considered thoughtful input?

I’m hurt. I thought that picture was worth a thousand words at least.

[quote]stevo_ wrote:
Havent tried that brand but i use a free version, its not quote as pure but does the job[/quote]

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE.

[quote]ahu2468 wrote:
“You can see that at high partial pressures of O2 (above about 40 mm Hg), hemoglobin saturation remains rather high (typically about 75 - 80%). This rather flat section of the oxygen-hemoglobin dissociation curve is called the ‘plateau.’”

Straight from a text book on human physiology. My intuition tells me that given higher amounts of O2 does not increase the rate at which it perfuses and is transported and released into the body (actually the opposite given the disassociation curve). I can imagine it being beneficial in people that have problems breathing and are below a certain baseline, but if you have a normal pair of lungs, I don’t see why it would benefit.

But hey, if it works for you then it works for you lol

Also, if anyone knows better please correct me.[/quote]

The amount of oxygen dissolved in the blood (not just bound to hemoglobin) is proportional to oxygenâ??s arterial partial pressure. When this pressure increases from approximately 100 mm Hg (when breathing in sea-level air with 21% oxygen) to about 700 mm Hg (when breathing in pure oxygen), the oxygen dissolved in the blood increases from three millilitres per litre to 21ml/L.

Is that a significant increase? Probably not but it is (proportionally speaking) to the increase that would occur from near saturation of Hemoglobin.

Remember that oxygen is… an oxidant. Therefore higher levels of O2 in the blood will contribute to elevated oxidisation (‘aging’) and cellular damage.

Far better IMO to utilise something like vinpocetine which will increase cerebro-specific blood (and therfore O2) and ATP levels. Vinpo also acts as a neural anti-oxidant, preventing buildup of the age pigment lipofuscin.

Perhaps that’s why Charles Polliquin gives it to his athletes.

BBB

some of you guys getting into near scientific explainations without really stating your credentials or where you get your info,
but still haven’t heard from anyone who has actually used this stuff.

[quote]sumabeast wrote:
some of you guys getting into near scientific explainations without really stating your credentials or where you get your info,
but still haven’t heard from anyone who has actually used this stuff.[/quote]

My friend bought me a bottle because he knew I was into supplements, and he thought it would be funny. I don’t know what to tell you… it’s air?