T Nation

Pure Muscle Mass Blueprint, Sub Out RDL?

Hey Coach,

I’ve just started your Pure Muscle Mass Blueprint program. On the second lower body day it has sets of RDL @ 12/10/8/12+ w/ a 4 second eccentric

My low back is unable to handle RDLs for reps higher than about 6. That can be a heavy 6. But higher volume or slow eccentric and it just tears me up.

What is your recommendation? Lower volume, higher intensity? Or maybe a different movement?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe try a rest/pause to get the full reps… for example

12 = 6 - 4 - 2
10 = 5 - 3 - 2
8 = 4 - 2 - 2

Taking 20 sec of rest

2 Likes

This is a great idea. I’ll give it a try.

So I gave your suggestion a proper try. I even tried spreading the reps out one more step. I just can’t handle it. I have a bad back from work and hips that are out of alignment. I can struggle through the reps but I’m trashed afterwards and even doing the leg curls is painful on my low back.

I’m considering just subbing out for a deadlift. I pull sumo and can do so with a very upright posture and can lift around 250-260kg 1RM with zero back and hip pain. Is this a good route to take? My only concern with that will be general recovery. What are your thoughts.

On an alternate note. I noticed in another thread you said you are releasing an updated version of all of your programs. Does that include this one? I purchased it mid-May this year, do you have an “upgrade” package for previous customers?

Yes, I don’t see a problem with that.

Yes, everything is being redone. I don’t have an update option for previous customers because, even though they retain the same names, they are completely different programs with a greatly improved workout sheet format.

But send me an email at chris@ballisticmanagement.com and I’ll send you a beta version of the plan free or charge for being a participant to my forum for years as well as a customer.

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s pretty awesome of you. Thanks Coach! I appreciate it. I’ll just call it my cake day gift from you, lol.

@Christian_Thibaudeau you really weren’t kidding. It is a totally different program in the best way. As a 2A I found myself loosing some motivation on the previous iteration. I spent half a day today plugging the beta into a nice looking spreadsheet. I’m very excited to run this. Thank you for the great program.

My first real introduction to lots of pauses and very slow eccentrics was your Beat the Apocalypse Home Gym edition 1.0 & 2.0. My friend and I got brutally strong during the 12 weeks. Both of us hitting absolutely massive PRs. I’m interested in seeing the results when appling the same principles to hypertrophy.

Great work Coach, I like your new “brand” it’s very unique, awesome and incredibly challenging when really pushing these programs to the limits

1 Like