Purchasing an Engagement Ring

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Cowboy_69 wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
Spending one or 2 months salary on a ring is fucking absurd. Personal opinion I suppose.

You beat me to it.

Not to hijack, but seems like you’re one of the few to agree. That’s pretty sad.[/quote]

I also agree. I can think of much better ways for me to spend that money :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously, that guideline s ridiculous. Don’t buy into that crap!!!

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Dude, a diamond’s just a rock. Get her some CZ. Or better yet, give her a lump of coal and tell her to put it under her pillow and wish and prey that one day it turns into a diamond…

When it doesn’t turn into one you can just blame her that she’s not doing it right.[/quote]

LMFAO! Best post ever! <grinnin`>

It`s nice to see some of the other posters on here displaying some good old [u]COMMON SENSE[/u]. Good work. Gives me a little more faith in the future of humanity :smiley:

I bought my wifes diamond at the Navy Exchange in Guam. 1/3 carat, high quality, clear all that stuff, spent $850 and she was very happy with it(still is). She has had the setting repaired a couple times, and the jewelers are always amazed at the deal I got.

If your chick has a brain, she won’t want you to spend your life savings on a ring, after all, that will be less money you have as you start your new life together.

I knew a chick who had a 2 carat ring. 2 CARATS! You buy shit like that for your girl, they start to expect it, and eventually the money is gonna run dry. And then so does she. Anyway, the chick didn’t like m very much after I said I never would have bought something that big for my wife. I think it was my use of the word ‘gaudy’ that really set her off…

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
Cowboy_69 wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
Spending one or 2 months salary on a ring is fucking absurd. Personal opinion I suppose.

You beat me to it.

Not to hijack, but seems like you’re one of the few to agree. That’s pretty sad.

I totally agree with you mate. I spent $800 (£550) on the ring for my fiancee. Designed it myself and had a jeweller friend make it for me. It looks really suited to her dainty little hand.

A big rock would just look too ostentatious and make my girl scared to lose it.

BBB[/quote]

That’s reasonable - my friend bought one on ebay for £450, also got a good deal on it and it’s a stunning white gold ring - not the highest quality or best rated diamond around, but if anyone turned their nose up at that, they don’t deserve a thing from anyone.

I knew this one chick in my heyday that insisted she was worth at least a 3 carat diamond ring if she was going to spend a lifetime with the same man. This tripe was instilled in her by her cunt of a mom – who never could even hold onto a man.

Needless to say, that bitch is still single and wondering when she’s going to get her 3 carats.

Good advice, ma!

Wedding rings are re-donkulous.

Take the average mid 20’s couple in “love”

They more than likely have or will have the following:

Student loans
Car payment (gotta have a sweet ride)
Credit Card bills
Probably plan on buying a house
Expensive wedding

Lets go drop 3 months salary on a fucking ring…and not put a down payment on a house, and be subprime, and then DK44 will bail me out. America is for the stupid.

You can get a really good deal at costco, get the band anywhere. Clarity is very important, match the size to be proportionate with her hand/finger size. If she has tiny hands you don’t want a huge rock and vice versa.

I’ve seen chicks that try to show off a big rock that looks like is filled with piss, and thats always kinda funny.

Good luck -

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
aznt0rk wrote:
From others I heard 3 months…

The best thing you can do …if you want to save money…is to look on craigslist and find a ring that has papers to back it up, or go to an appraiser before the sale.

You can save 40-70% through a private party. I was luck enough to find a woman who isn’t materialistic and told me she’d kill me if I spent retail. Some women are good with that. Others don’t like the idea of having “someone elses” ring from a non enagement or failed marriage.

Other, materialistic bitches beleive the amount you spend equates to how much you love her, but in reality it’s a “One Up” for her to show off to her friends. Beware of these women…

[/quote]

this is what i would have done if i could gone back in time

Buy her a kidney stone.

I bought the rock and let her get the setting made at a local jeweler after I proposed. I used niceice.com and couldn’t be hapier. It is family owned and you can avoid sales tax if you are out of state. Call and ask for Todd or Robyn. 3 C’s in order of importance: Cut. You want a super ideal round. This is the only cut that can really be objectively evaluated and the cut is what gives the rock its brilliance.

Color is next. You want the rock to be as colorless as possible. D,E, and F are the best, but G is an acceptable color grade and you can’t really tell the difference of the first four grades without a trained eye and out of the setting. Next is clarity. Don’t waste your money buying flawless, any rock with inclusions that are not visible to the naked eye will do. VS2 or slightly included will do just fine. Get the biggest rock you can afford using these criteria. A smaller rock is preferable to a big rock that doesn’t sparkle.

All B.S. aside, you don’t want to skimp on the rock. Call Todd and Robyn, tell them your budget, and ask for advice. They are great to deal with.

Jack

you should buy neelydan’s engagement ring, it’s only been thrown once

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

it’s a stunning white gold ring - not the highest quality or best rated diamond around, but if anyone turned their nose up at that, they don’t deserve a thing from anyone.[/quote]

Well said, sir. Many, many people dont have the SLIGHTEST CLUE how lucky they are simply to have a roof over their head, food for their stomach and fresh water to drink. I think everyone should know what it is to go hungry for a month, to not know where their next meal will come from...to struggle for basic survival...at least ONCE in their lives. Id like to here them whine about their $1000 ring after that.

/end rant

NeelyDan, you really crack me up.

Suckers and sheep go for diamonds, get her a gemstone ring and tell DeBeers to suck it.

EDIT: I could have been more eloquent, but I didn’t feel like it. The price of the diamond is inflated so far beyond its actual value that I just couldn’t bring myself buy one. I didn’t mean to rain on your parade, OP.

When I think engagement ring, I think, “Dear God, no diamonds!” Blood Diamond destroyed diamonds for me forever. I guess it just depends on what the girl wants, though…

cough don’t do it cough

You pop the question yet?

[quote]tom8658 wrote:
NeelyDan, you really crack me up.

Suckers and sheep go for diamonds, get her a gemstone ring and tell DeBeers to suck it.

EDIT: I could have been more eloquent, but I didn’t feel like it. The price of the diamond is inflated so far beyond its actual value that I just couldn’t bring myself buy one. I didn’t mean to rain on your parade, OP.[/quote]

You do realize that the value of anything, including a diamond, is simply what people are willing to pay for it, right?

If I get a house appraised for 400k, but I put in on the market and no one is willing to pay that much, guess what? The house ain’t worth no 400k.

On the flip side, if I get it appraised for 200k and people offer me 300k, it’s worth more than the appraised value of 200k!

Personally, I think diamonds are overly expensive, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t priced accurately because people are still willing to pay that amount.

Besides, what is 2-3 months salary to make your future wife (theoretically the woman you love) happy about her engagement ring? Ok, so maybe she is materialistic, is that so horrible? It doesn’t mean she’s a golddigger, it just means she likes nice things. I like nice things, too.

And before anyone chimes in thinking I’m sticking up for myself, I’m not engaged and never have been.

And yes, I do realize this was posted a couple months ago.

I recently got engaged (10/08); here is how I went about purchasing her ring: first I called her younger sister whom I trust and told her my intentions. I also told her sister that I needed a favor in the form of getting intel regarding the ring she would like. So her sister strategically placed a couple of catalogs in the backseat of her car and invited my girl to lunch.

With the catalogs in plainview, my girl automatically picked up a couple and began critiquing (her sister told her that a friend who was getting married left them in the car). The plan worked beautifully with the only exception being that the ring she liked was from Mayors (a rather pricey jewelery shop) and when I went to the store, they were asking $13,000.00 for it. This was $8000.00 over my budget so I came up with an idea: I would purchase the setting from Mayors but the diamond from a wholesaler.

I wound up putting together a ring with all 4C’s in the desirable range with a weight of 1.15 Ct. GIA Certified for about $5500.00. I bought the diamond from a reputable website, diamonds.com which is listed in Forbes. She loved it, said yes, and the wedding is in November…

My best friend imports diamonds directly and has access to pretty much whatever you want at about 40% of what retail is. Screaming hookup. Has all the GIA certs and refs, etc.

If you want his info let me know.

Monopoly