T Nation

Purchasing a Leg Press

Just noticed this deal - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TJW3LG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A39MYLEJG49HMW - on a Leg Press that I was planning to buy from New York Barbell that normally sells for about $999. However, the one review on the product made me slightly wary, but I cannot find any more information on this piece of equipment.

Anybody have any information on this model?

Something to consider…500 lb capacity, which is last on the list of product features. Also judging by the one comment, it doesn’t sound like a good piece anyways.

Looks like a cheap piece of crap. You’d do waaaay better on craigslist buying a used namebrand for less.

must really love the leg press to drop that amount of cash on something only allows one exercise, well maybe 2 for calves

Looks like a piece of shit

What other home equipment do you have already? I couldn’t see buying a leg press unless I had a lot of money and a large room dedicated to a home gym with several prices of large equipment. Because of the large amount of weight handled on this machine its also something I would be scared to go cheap on.

[quote]goldfingers25 wrote:
Something to consider…500 lb capacity, which is last on the list of product features. [/quote]

…and the first words in the product features are “large diamond”. What? Are they marketing mainly to women?

Buy a used Leverage Squat unit instead. Smaller footprint, better overall exercise.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/spo/3234468782.html

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/spo/3166682702.html

If your gonna waste money on something stupid like that you are much better off spending it on something like a prowler… You get far more exercises for the cost and its easily one of the greatest mass builder for legs out there…

check the 1 review

To the helpful responses - thank you.

To the unhelpful responses - you are all idiots.

To Iron Dwarf - you seem like a nice guy from what I’ve read of your posts on the forum - care to explain what the hell I am looking at?

To sufiandy - You also seem like a genuinely good guy from what I’ve read of your posts - I have a bench, rack, shitty old bench I use for leg ext./leg curls/preacher curls, dipping station, chin-up bar, etc. I just so happen to feel like I could benefit from a leg press in addition to the squatting, hack squatting, ext., curls, front squatting, single leg exercises, romanian deadlifts, etc. that have made up most of my leg training to date. I also have the money lying around and cannot think of a better investment - fitness equipment wise.

Taking inkcreep’s advice, any opinion on http://newjersey.craigslist.org/spo/3200825720.html (Body Solid)?

Also, another option may involve building one of those vertical leg presses, or buying one used (have never used one, so I am unsure of the difference in difficulty between horizontal, diagonal, and vertical leg presses - would help to know).

Thanks.

Something else to consider on these 45 degree leg presses is the amount of weight you need. I’m a skinny fuck and I can do over a thousand pounds. I would think any male would require between 700 and 1400 pounds. That’s a lot of weight and will add substantially to your costs.

[quote]MickyGee wrote:
To the helpful responses - thank you.

To the unhelpful responses - you are all idiots.

To Iron Dwarf - you seem like a nice guy from what I’ve read of your posts on the forum - care to explain what the hell I am looking at?

Also, any opinion on http://newjersey.craigslist.org/spo/3200825720.html ?

Thanks.[/quote]

here’s one that may be more suitable for you
http://www.google.com/search?q=man+the+fuck+up&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=v3ZOULGtD4bn0QGX4YHwAg&biw=1024&bih=672&sei=xXZOUNzcAsL00gG0voCACA#biv=i|0;d|royykV-d3YafBM:

Is there any evidence of you lifting after idling this forum for six years?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]MickyGee wrote:
To the helpful responses - thank you.

To the unhelpful responses - you are all idiots.

To Iron Dwarf - you seem like a nice guy from what I’ve read of your posts on the forum - care to explain what the hell I am looking at?

Also, any opinion on http://newjersey.craigslist.org/spo/3200825720.html ?

Thanks.[/quote]

here’s one that may be more suitable for you
http://www.google.com/search?q=man+the+fuck+up&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=v3ZOULGtD4bn0QGX4YHwAg&biw=1024&bih=672&sei=xXZOUNzcAsL00gG0voCACA#biv=i|0;d|royykV-d3YafBM:
[/quote]

I could give you a history of the past 6 yrs, but that would be boring. Lighten up dude, it’s called ribbing. Jesus people have thin skin.

[quote]MickyGee wrote:

  • care to explain what the hell I am looking at?

[/quote]

Those are 2 different types of leverage squat machine.
The former is a heavy duty unit, extremely well-built, and has complete back support.

The latter is the same model I own. It doesn’t have the back support, but because of the angle of the foot plate and general physics of the action, it greatly removes stress from the back while squatting. I paid $500 for mine new (a few years ago). People regularly sell them on Graigslist for sometimes really cheap!

[quote]MickyGee wrote:

Taking inkcreep’s advice, any opinion on http://newjersey.craigslist.org/spo/3200825720.html (Body Solid)?
[/quote]

I don’t believe I deserved being called a creep? I gave you my honest opinion of machine and offered you a better solution.

I’ve bought many equipment off CL and got great deals. With that said, the vertical machine sux as well. I’ve used one and it feels like your head is gonna explode lying on your back like that. Plus putting on and taking off plates on the top is a pain. The horizontal ones are best, but are way more expensive. So that leave the diagonal ones left. Parabody, tuff stuff are all similar to bodysolid ($300-$500). The better the name (gym quality) then the prices go up.

G’luck

[quote]Iron N Ink wrote:

[quote]MickyGee wrote:

Taking inkcreep’s advice, any opinion on http://newjersey.craigslist.org/spo/3200825720.html (Body Solid)?
[/quote]

I don’t believe I deserved being called a creep? I gave you my honest opinion of machine and offered you a better solution.

I’ve bought many equipment off CL and got great deals. With that said, the vertical machine sux as well. I’ve used one and it feels like your head is gonna explode lying on your back like that. Plus putting on and taking off plates on the top is a pain. The horizontal ones are best, but are way more expensive. So that leave the diagonal ones left. Parabody, tuff stuff are all similar to bodysolid ($300-$500). The better the name (gym quality) then the prices go up.

G’luck [/quote]

I think he confused you with another dude here called InkCreep.

My bad, I confused you with another poster here - you were actually one of the more helpful posts. Sorry.

Just to clarify - are you endorsing buying something in the price range of this Body Solid? In order to get a mixture of quality and affordability?

[quote]Iron N Ink wrote:

[quote]MickyGee wrote:

Taking inkcreep’s advice, any opinion on http://newjersey.craigslist.org/spo/3200825720.html (Body Solid)?
[/quote]

I don’t believe I deserved being called a creep? I gave you my honest opinion of machine and offered you a better solution.

I’ve bought many equipment off CL and got great deals. With that said, the vertical machine sux as well. I’ve used one and it feels like your head is gonna explode lying on your back like that. Plus putting on and taking off plates on the top is a pain. The horizontal ones are best, but are way more expensive. So that leave the diagonal ones left. Parabody, tuff stuff are all similar to bodysolid ($300-$500). The better the name (gym quality) then the prices go up.

G’luck [/quote]

I see - my only concern is this would be more similar to a squat than a leg press? My intention is to find something that can isolate my legs along the lines of a leg press, seeing as I currently back squat, front squat, hack squat, romanian deadlift, etc.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]MickyGee wrote:

  • care to explain what the hell I am looking at?

[/quote]

Those are 2 different types of leverage squat machine.
The former is a heavy duty unit, extremely well-built, and has complete back support.

The latter is the same model I own. It doesn’t have the back support, but because of the angle of the foot plate and general physics of the action, it greatly removes stress from the back while squatting. I paid $500 for mine new (a few years ago). People regularly sell them on Graigslist for sometimes really cheap![/quote]