Purchasing a First Gun

My wife and I have decided to purchase a gun. I have shot a few guns, but I have never owned one before. Mindy suggested a shot gun as a first gun. For those of you that own guns, what is your suggestion for a first gun?

What would you use it for? Just to have it in the home for defense, range activity, hunting? At any rate here comes 1,000 posts of everyones favorite tricked out guns.

D

Shotgun. Remington 870

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
What would you use it for? Just to have it in the home for defense, range activity, hunting? At any rate here comes 1,000 posts of everyones favorite tricked out guns.

D[/quote]

We want it for home protection. Mindy also told me she misses going out to the range and shooting like she used to.

What do you want it for?

Home defense - Mossberg 500, Mossberg 590, Remington 870 (all shotguns)

Personal Protection - perhaps a keltec p3at for the wife; maybe something with more punch for yourself…a glock perhaps? m1911? Get something in .40 or .45. If you cant handle the recoil of a bigger gun than you can also try a keltec p3at loaded with P+ ammunition

Car - see above. of if you are willing to go through a shit load of hassle, get a lupara/short barelled shotgun

PM if you have any more questions

[quote]celibrate2047 wrote:
Dedicated wrote:

D

We want it for home protection. Mindy also told me she misses going out to the range and shooting like she used to.[/quote]

Well a handgun of some type either revolver or auto would probably fit the bill. I would think a revolver in 357 would be fairly easy to operate, more then adequate for home defense, safer for beginners, and for range time beneficial in terms of being able to shoot cheaper 38 special ammo in it.

Be safe and have fun with whatever you choose.

D

A tactical .45 is always a good choice. Check out companies such as Kimber, Para-Ordnance, and Wilson Combat.

Also, if you decide to get a shotgun for home defense (which I HIGHLY recommend over a handgun), make sure you get a pump shotgun, not an autoloader

12 ga is good. Stock is necessary! Nightsights optional but recommended. Put a flashlight on it, so you can see what you’re shooting at. No need for a fancy laser.

The most economical choise would be the Mossberg 500. It is a very good shotgun. Remingtons are more expensive, but they are pretty smooth. I prefer the Mossbergs for a few reasons.

1. The safety is located on the back of the receiver. Since it is thumb activated, it does not require the shooter to reposition his trigger finger. The same applies for the slide release (operated by 2nd finger.)

2. Also the shell loader design is superior. On the Mossberg, it is up out of the way through most of the operation on the forend. This allows easy reloading of the magazine. If a person ever gets his thumb caught between a Remington shell lifter and magazine during a tactical reload on a course of fire, he will praise Mossberg’s design afterwards.

My guns:
DPMS AR-15 .223
GSG–5 .22 MP5 clone

My concealed gun varies between ruger LCP .380 and a taurus millenium pro 9mm

If I had the money, I would def get a Kimber .45 raptor

I would suggest a AR-15 for the range, if your into shooting clays, get a 12 gauge auto

But seriously, get a gun soon, because with such a liberal controlled government, the sale of guns will be implemented soon…

[quote]Rasclot123 wrote:

But seriously, get a gun soon, because with such a liberal controlled government, the sale of guns will be implemented soon…[/quote]

Interesting prospect that I had not considered yet. Glad I own what I do.

I am not as big into guns as a lot of us, nor do I know a whole lot about them.

I have a Remington 12 gauge pump action, a Remington 22 long rifle and a fun little 410 single shot shot gun. For home defense I hardly see how you could argue anything but a pump action shot gun.

Although never (thank god) being put in the position to have to use it, I nearly feel that a shot would not have to be fired using said shot gun.

I have fired a couple glocks and enjoyed them, but I cant afford a hand gun at the moment and don’t really have the need for one.

357 or a shotgun.

If she wants to shoot at the range go for the 357 and shoot 38 loads.

Fun, accurate, hard hitting and easy to maintain.

Everyone’s recommendations for shotguns are perfect…as for your wife,you could also look for a quality .410 if she has no experience with shotguns.

357 kicks a bit for a beginner, I would probably go with something else. Best idea is to find a range that rents handguns and has a good selection of different guns, so you can try different ones and find the one you feel most comfortable with.

Agree with the 12ga comments, if for home defense, go with the 18in barrel, possibly with night sights and definitely with a flashlight forend.

My wife chose a 1911 double stack, which I was more than ok with. Whatever you decide, buy abunch of ammo and spend a decent amount of time at the range until both of you are proficient(not just comfortable) with it. And then keep going back to practice.

We bought my wife’s .45 right before I deployed, so we sent her to Blackwater’s 3-day pistol course. She went through over 1500 rounds in three days, while 7 months pregnant(my wife kicks ass!), and got good with the pistol, especially against moving targets. I did have to correct one thing they taught her though: they had her teacupping instead of gripping with both hands. Once I fixed that, she’s pretty dead on.

http://www.cx4storm.com/

i would highly NOT recommend a shotgun or ‘tactical’ handgun for the mrs.

a shotgun could be very hard to control in terms of recoil, and the addition of a pump will limit her ability to place multiple follow up shots. a long barrel would be more accurate/easier to control, but might be harder to hold, as well as maneuver around (or even get into position) a shorter barrel would solve those problems, but the recoil could potentially be unbearable (and if there isnt much practice with the firearm, it’s practically useless)

modern ‘tactical’ pistols have so many extra ‘safety’ features featured on them, that without adequate training, could make a pistol as effective as a paperweight. you must remember, that IF she/you actually has to pull a pistol in the house, that there will be so much adrenaline pumping, the potential to lose all fine motor control is very possible. also, pistols are inherently inaccurate, and in a stressful situation, most likely a night, being fired from awkward positions from someone who is not proficient in it’s operation, could have many consequences.

I feel the beretta storm makes up for all of these shortcomings. It fires pistol caliber ammunition, which allows for a very manageable recoil, but has a longer barrel than a pistol, which will increase the accuracy. it’s extremely comfortable to hold, and i feel much more manageable than a shotgun. a light or optic accessory can easily be added to it, allowing for that option without having to sacrifice one of your hands (as you would have to with a pistol)

I have painted the safety button, as well as the charging handle a bright orange. In case of such a stressful situation, i feel she would be able to still recognize those two parts of the gun in order to place the weapon into fire mode. The gf has shot it plenty of times at the range, and can easily load, fire, and reload the weapon. shots at 50yards from the crouch unsupported (and other awkward positions) are extremely easy for her.

Because I choose 9mm as the caliber, I had access to 32 round magazines. 3 magazines are loaded with DRT ammo for home defense/SHTF. while 4 magazines are for normal days at the range/fmj’s.

Shotguns are not hard for women to control. My 135 lb wife shoots my 12 Gauge just fine. You just need to teach them recoil management.

Just get a regular shotgun, slap a youth stock and a sidesaddle on it, and you’re done.

http://www.drtammo.com/technology.html

sorry, forgot to include the ammo link.

i feel this type of ammo makes up for any shortcomings spoken about of the 9mm.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
Shotguns are not hard for women to control. My 135 lb wife shoots my 12 Gauge just fine. You just need to teach them recoil management.

Just get a regular shotgun, slap a youth stock and a sidesaddle on it, and you’re done. [/quote]

I’m not saying that a shotgun recoil is going to blow the OP or his wife away, however I would say that the beretta offers faster and easier target acquisition, a higher magazine count, a more economical design, faster reloading, but most importantly MUCH faster follow up shot capabilities

the S&W 460 is awesome but not recommended.

a glock model 32 uses a .357 sig round (not a magnum) and doesn’t kick too hard. the model 23 is also considered a “compact” and uses a S&W .40 round.

and as far as shotguns go, my cop friends tell me that Benelli makes the best around.

I know pictures are always wanted.

Sadly, the gf isn’t lucky enough to get the eotech. haha.

If looking for a challenge in your home defense activities, I will rescind my last suggestion and offer a better one. Consider a Hawken Style muzzleloader such as the one Robert Redford packed in Jeremiah Johnson. Knowing you only have one shot will make you concentrate on proper shot placement when drawing down on Mr. home invader and save you tons on repairing drywall and furniture.

Also, in the event that first shot goes awry, think of the level of skill and challenge you will have to rise to in order to reload this primitive weapon and fire again before the culprit either pulls his own weapon and kills you or skid-addles to a window to beat a hasty retreat.

I can think of no better way to combine home defense and high excitement. So, put the shotguns, AK’s, and AR’s, away and grab your powder horn and flintlock. Tomahawk optional. If not totally obvious this post was made in jest. :slight_smile:

D