Pumpkin Info & Benefits

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:

I dump a couple of huge spoonfulls in oats or quinoa flakes, then microwave and add cinnamon. Its like pumpkin pie every morning.[/quote]

Are the quinoa grains precooked, though? Or do you just toss them in dry? How about the oats (I take it you are using rolled and not steel cut) ?

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:

I dump a couple of huge spoonfulls in oats or quinoa flakes, then microwave and add cinnamon. Its like pumpkin pie every morning.

Are the quinoa grains precooked, though? Or do you just toss them in dry? How about the oats (I take it you are using rolled and not steel cut) ?[/quote]

I buy “quinoa flakes”- they are like any hot cereal or instant oatmeal where you add boiling water and microwave. You can get them at like whole foods or online at altiplanogold.com

I just measure out my serving anywhere from 1/2 cup - 1 cup dry, then I microwave some water for a couple of minutes, add the water to the quinoa flakes (or oats, whatever), then add a ton of pumpkin (1/2 cup or 1/3 cup), Sprinkle some cinnamon/stevia in it, then put it back in the microwave for a minute or so.

Delicious.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
I wonder if using canned pumpkin (assuming it’s not loaded with a bunch of other crap) post workout would be a good idea? I might pick some up next time I’m at the store.
DG[/quote]

Canned pumpkin is a staple for me and eat it almost everyday right of the can with loads of cinnamon.

The canned version is supposed to be better.

“I don’t expect you to go out every October and hoard pumpkins. Canned pumpkin is available all year round and the canned version is actually more nutritious than the raw version.”
"
From TC’s great article Power Foods" right on this website.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
I’ve been throwing a half cup of canned pumpkin in my morning super shake for a while now.

8 oz water
2 scoops Grow! Whey
1 scoop Vanilla Metabolic Drive Complete
1 cup kefir
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 tbsp flax seeds
half serving Superfood
1 serving Benefiber
cinnamon and stevia

You animal. That is almost exactly what I used to make every morning. Replace the kefir with Trader Joe’s 2% Greek Yogurt and get back to me.

Pumpkin adds an amazing smoothness to shakes like xantham gum. You just need 1/3 of a standard can to see the effect.

And OG’s recipe is further proof that pumpkin is a versatile medium when used in cooking.
[/quote]

I actually used the TJ’s Greek Yogurt before switching back to the kefir. I liked the Greek yogurt more, but it was getting expensive to use a cup of it every day in the shakes. I can get 4 cups out of one bottle of kefir, but I have to spend twice as much on the yogurt. I wish they’d at least sell the Greek yogurt in larger containers.

This is why we need a Recipe thread stickied, or a recipe forum.

If you folks think this is a good idea, please post on my thread in the Tech Support forum

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_support/could_you_sticky_a_recipe_thread

Maybe if enough of us could use this or would use this, it would be worth the time and effort for the site.

Thanks!

just think you lucky Americans with Halloween coming up you can go door too door and grab a free pumpkin lol