Pumping Iron

[quote]slimjim wrote:
heh, I thought having seen that movie was like a pre-req for being on this site.[/quote]

I have since learned that some of these guys don’t know who Franco Columbo or Al Beckles are. It doesn’t surprise me that many haven’t seen Pumping Iron. Remember, bodybuilders are big, stupid and “unfunctional”…at least until recently.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I have since learned that some of these guys don’t know who Franco Columbo or Al Beckles are. It doesn’t surprise me that many haven’t seen Pumping Iron. Remember, bodybuilders are big, stupid and “unfunctional”…at least until recently.[/quote]

Well he is Canadian. It probably just premiered there.

Anyone know if albert B is still alive?

Chivas989 wrote:

I just don’t consider myself a bodybuilder like Arnold or Lou…

I wouldn’t consider you one like them either, however, it amazes me the way some people view their own efforts. If you see yourself as “less than” or “just lifting weights”, what do you think you will really accomplish? You are one of the many who views this and your efforts as “average” or maybe even less than average. It makes me wonder why you have no drive…or where it went.[/quote]

I believe I’m beginning to understand what you mean. Either you’re a pro, an amateur or someone like me, the intensity and the drive of when you train should be the same as a pro bodybuilder? Is this correct?

[quote]Chivas989 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Chivas989 wrote:

I wouldn’t consider you one like them either, however, it amazes me the way some people view their own efforts. If you see yourself as “less than” or “just lifting weights”, what do you think you will really accomplish? You are one of the many who views this and your efforts as “average” or maybe even less than average. It makes me wonder why you have no drive…or where it went.

I believe I’m beginning to understand what you mean. Either you’re a pro, an amateur or someone like me, the intensity and the drive of when you train should be the same as a pro bodybuilder? Is this correct?[/quote]

If your plan is to make progress on a significant level, your focus should be no different. We all have different priorities. However, when I am in the gym, those other priorities are not my focus…my training is.

For someone to say that they don’t consider themselves a bodybuilder but rather “just some guy who lifts weights” is to immediately ensure you will make very little progress and become one of the many farting around the gym for years making NO progress and very often looking WORSE years later. This web site is not for “guys who lift weights a little”. That was never the impulse for its creation and it shouldn’t be what it falls into simply because enough “weekend warriors” start logging in.

To my understanding, this website is for those who are above average in body and mentality. I can as easily walk into the gym and pour my heart into it as I can suture a bleeding incision. My focus doesn’t change. I personally have a hard time understanding those who can’t be this way.

Chivas989 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Chivas989 wrote:

I wouldn’t consider you one like them either, however, it amazes me the way some people view their own efforts. If you see yourself as “less than” or “just lifting weights”, what do you think you will really accomplish? You are one of the many who views this and your efforts as “average” or maybe even less than average. It makes me wonder why you have no drive…or where it went.

I believe I’m beginning to understand what you mean. Either you’re a pro, an amateur or someone like me, the intensity and the drive of when you train should be the same as a pro bodybuilder? Is this correct?

If your plan is to make progress on a significant level, your focus should be no different. We all have different priorities. However, when I am in the gym, those other priorities are not my focus…my training is.

For someone to say that they don’t consider themselves a bodybuilder but rather “just some guy who lifts weights” is to immediately ensure you will make very little progress and become one of the many farting around the gym for years making NO progress and very often looking WORSE years later. This web site is not for “guys who lift weights a little”. That was never the impulse for its creation and it shouldn’t be what it falls into simply because enough “weekend warriors” start logging in.

To my understanding, this website is for those who are above average in body and mentality. I can as easily walk into the gym and pour my heart into it as I can suture a bleeding incision. My focus doesn’t change. I personally have a hard time understanding those who can’t be this way.[/quote]

I don’t think anyone’s focus should ever change, regardless of the activity. If you’re doing something you might as well DO IT and not dick around. Otherwise you’re better off not doing it at all really, unless it’s a leisure thing.

Franco stole the show in that movie for me from shifting that car to blowing up that hot waterbottle.

How he never got more olympia titles ill never know

[quote]Wayland wrote:
Franco stole the show in that movie for me from shifting that car to blowing up that hot waterbottle.

How he never got more olympia titles ill never know[/quote]

Franco was always my favorite when I started lifting. Winning Bodybuilding was the first training book I ever bought.

I think his arms never matched the rest of his physique sizewise — esp. that lat spread! His bis and tris have really short attachments, but he did the best with 'em he could.