'Pump' Sets After Ramping

Hi Coach,

Thanks for all your insights. I’ve been using your HTH principles and have reached PRs in strength.

What do you think of doing pump work (really light weight, 30-40 RM for 20 or so reps, little rest in between sets, for however many sets it takes to get a huge pump) after the normal 3 rep/ 5 rep ramps?

I know you’re against higher reps but this would be merely to create a pump and not impede recovery.

Would this provide a positive training effect/aid in hypertrophy using the ramping technique?

Nice question…

When I finish my low rep workout (like HTH) my pump is nothing compared to my hi rep workouts.

PS:sorry about my english… :frowning:

[quote]-Sigil- wrote:
Hi Coach,

Thanks for all your insights. I’ve been using your HTH principles and have reached PRs in strength.

What do you think of doing pump work (really light weight, 30-40 RM for 20 or so reps, little rest in between sets, for however many sets it takes to get a huge pump) after the normal 3 rep/ 5 rep ramps?

I know you’re against higher reps but this would be merely to create a pump and not impede recovery.

Would this provide a positive training effect/aid in hypertrophy using the ramping technique?

[/quote]

Not CT, but

check out his HSS-100 programs. In these he has included a 100-repper at the end of each session, which I believe is actually considered part of the recovery process. And as you say, they are not taken anywhere near failure, so it wont stress the CNS, and will actually bring blood and nutrients to the involved musculature. I dont know how CT will feel about multiple high rep sets, but I’m guessing a couple will be ok.

[quote]DraggO wrote:
Nice question…

When I finish my low rep workout (like HTH) my pump is nothing compared to my hi rep workouts.

PS:sorry about my english… :([/quote]

The pump doesn’t matter.

The only thing that matters is progress. Are you getting stronger? Are you getting bigger? If yes, then don’t screw with anything.

People are so fixated on the pump that it amuses me.

You want to do pump sets? Go ahead… but understand that:

1. They are unlikely to stimulate much growth
  2. They will burn a lot of glycogen (fuel) which lengthens the recovery process
  3. Lactate accumulation can be stressful on the CNS which will also lengthen the recovery process

It’s about PERFORMANCE and PROGRESS. Ask your muscles to perform maximally and they will progress.

That having been said, high reps are not totally worthless.

They can increase capilarisation (formation of new capillaries to the muscle, enhancing blood flow and thus nutrients transport, over time).

They can help with tendon recovery.

Lactate has been linked to an increase in levels of growth hormone.

I personally would not use pump sets often I REALLY see them mostly as something psychological than helps increase the confidence that weak-minded individuals have in a program.

But if you are going to use them, don’t be excessive, and don’t go to total failure.

I want to be a veinous vascularized mofo, is it as simple as more muscle, less fat? Or is there a way other than high reps, which i don’t really enjoy, to improve vascularity?

[quote]Clypher wrote:
I want to be a veinous vascularized mofo, is it as simple as more muscle, less fat? Or is there a way other than high reps, which i don’t really enjoy, to improve vascularity?[/quote]

More muscle

Less fat

Have the genetics for popping veins.

If you don’t have the genetics then you’ll have no veins popping.