Pullup Grips

What are your opinions on various pullup grips.

I have been using a medium neutral grip recently and can definitely get more reps and weight. I also feel that I can squeeze my back together at the top more. I am able to lean back a little and touch my hands/bar to my chest.

I don’t really feel it in my lats when I use a suppinated grip and don’t get the same ROM with a pronated grip.

It can depend on alot of factors. I would say use the one that you feel works the best. However, you may not be strong enough to do a well-controlled pronated pullup, and the same with the supinated grip.

I find that the neutral is the easiest grip, so its probably not necessarily better, just easier. When you get stronger you should be able to feel the other grips pretty well too.

pronated=underhand
supinated=overhand
neautral=mixed

that right?

Have you considered just alternating grips every other workout? This will shock the body and allow for more diversity.

[quote]jmwintenn wrote:
pronated=underhand
supinated=overhand
neautral=mixed

that right?[/quote]
Neutral is like the grip you would use for hammer curls. Both palms facing each other. It works the brachialas more than the biceps. The arms do not seem to tire as fast and the upper arm is in a mechanicaly advantageous line of pull by the lats.
Suppinted is an under hand grip. At the top of the move you palms will be facing your face as your chin clears the bar. Emphasizes the bicep more. Can limit the total ROM depending on your build.
Pronated- palms face away. Emphasizes the forarm muscles more. The upper arms don’t travel back as much as straight down to the sides.

[quote]jmwintenn wrote:
pronated=underhand
supinated=overhand
neautral=mixed

that right?[/quote]

Neutral, palms facing each other, supinated palms facing you. Supinate, think of, I had a bowl of soup, and ate it. What would your hand position be?
Other goofy ones are supine and prone, supine, lying on your spine, prone, on your bone.

I read somewhere that pronated grips make your upper back work more and supinated grips allow your biceps to do more work (I think this is the same for rows as well). A neutral grip is even more bicep and less back.

This corresponds to my experience as my upper back is weak and I suck at the pronated pullups (last night hit a PR of 6. whoopsy-doo)

The same article suggested a back workout of doing a long set of pronated, followed by supinated followed by neutral grip, if you fancy that. Personally I just switch them up now and again.

I can do about 10 reps with either grip. I will stick to hammer grips for awhile and switch to pronated since I am trying to hit the lats. I feel way less arm fatigue that way.

I just have to share my joy - I did my first set of five full pullups, with a pronated grip, last weekend. Then I did three more sets of five and two sets of four! For me, this is huge. I’m still excited about it. yyaaaayyy pullups!

I almost always use at least two grips during the course of a workout. I primarily focus on pronated (various widths) and neutral (two different widths).