T Nation

Pullup Bar / Dips Bar

Evening Folks. I’m running into time problems IRL and need to start transitioning to mostly garage working out. I’m in the market for a half decent pull up bar that I can mount to my garage wall, as well as a dip stand. Everything I’m finding seems to either be some expensive name brand or something I’d be afraid to put weight on.

Ideally, I’d like a pull up bar that allows for a neutral grip, but if there’s a good deal on a quality standard bar I can live without it. Also I’m seeing a few dip bars at good prices, but I keep seeing reviews of people saying the bars are too far apart. I’ve never actually done dips on a standalone set of bars before. Anyone have experience with how much this matters in practice?

If anyone is sitting around on a half decent brand they’d like to point me at, this is your moment!

I’m trying to get one of the combination pullup/dip stations for work. They’re called a power tower. The first couple that pop up on Google aren’t expensive, but I would want to check it out in person to make sure it isn’t too rickety.

I went used and found one on Letgo for 20 bucks. Dip station, pull up bar and in perfect condition!

Walker. Not joking. Works wonders and got it free when grandma passed away. Use the door mounted pullup bar. That’s not so good.

I considered one of those. Unfortunately I don’t have a ton of room in my garage, so I had to go with a squat stand. I’d have loved to buy one of those foldout squat racks and get the best of both worlds but I don’t think I’m ready to drop that kinda cash yet.

This might be the ultimate workaround I’ve ever seen related to fitness.

If you have exposed rafters just hang a couple parallel pipes from the rafters with ropes or chains for the pullup bars.

You could do something with plumbing pipe and floor flanges to mount a dip stand the wall.

It tips if you put any parallel force into the bars. There can be no kipping or swinging. If you get the right one you can raise the legs and use a dip belt. The higher the walker the stricter the dips have to be. Also put a rubber mat at the bottom for your knees’ sake.

A walker seems too light. Their intended users mostly just lean on them, they don’t put their entire body weight on them. If they work for you, great but I wouldn’t trust them. There are walkers that folks can sit in that seem more sturdy, but I don’t think they leave enough room for you to do dips in.

A friend at work told me about a power tower that folded up so you could put it away. It’s significantly more expensive and I haven’t looked into it lately. If I have time later today I’ll see if I can find the brand.