PullOvers

When performing pull-overs what is the proper shoulder position? Should the scapula be pulled together with the shoulders retracted or should I allow the shoulder to “float” while attempting to make the largest “arc” possible? Also, does anyone have any tips on barbell pull-overs? I have tried a couple variations with staight and ez bars with no success, I feel like they cause me to nearly dislocate both shoulders (keeping my elbows close to the midline of my body helps some). Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Curtis

I can’t imagine trying to do them with the scapulae retracted. I let them float as much as is natural. However, I do notice my right shoulder giving me great pain if I keep the elbow toward midline. I let them flare out a bit as well. Not sure if that’s biomechanically sound, but it seems to work for me.

I usually use a dumbbell, it seems to take some of the stress off the shoulders, I would urge you to try it. You don’t want to mess around too much with a lift like that because it puts too much strain on your rotator cuff. As far as shoulder position I don’t really know, I usually let mine move around. Hope that helps you out.