Pullovers Plus Bands

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1113166400622.pullover_plus_bands.JPG

so last fri i was feeling a little experimental.

i do not think i have ever seen or heard of anyone doing this exercise but i kind of fed off the idea i saw from a recent article.

i went to do pullovers and added bands. i have included a high quality mspaint example of how it looked.

i set it up so that at the bottom rom there was still a little tension in the band. when you got to the top you did not have to stop with your arms perpendicular to the groung given the band resistance pulling down and back. the band was around the bottom of the db.

massive amounts of soreness in the lats, tris, and upper/middle traps. even a little soreness in the neck, but could just be the high end of traps. i think the trap soreness was a result of keeping the scapula pulled down and back against the given tension.

just thought i would throw this out there and see what you guys thought.

could be a fun one to add to your toolbag of exercises.

Good idea. I’m going to try this out in a few weeks when I switch up my routine again. BTW nice paint skills.

Seems like a combination of a pullover that you would use in a chest workout, and a stiff armed pulldown that you would use to build lats.

Just make sure you’ve got a good grip on that sucker!

yes they are great love the pic as well. I have been doing them a few weeks I actually hook the bands up to my plate loaded hi low pulley machine. works great.

Nice one, way to keep things interesting

Phill

yea i knew you would all love the pic. it was best i could do other than try and describe it in way to many words.

i did about eight sets. messing around with bench distance from anchor point, db weights, and band combinations.

this fri im going to do the same but only use one red or one blue band instead of two reds and bumb up the db weight a bit. i will also scoot the bench out some. there was a learning curve to it, so when i made an adjustment i did at least two sets before changing unless it was really obvious. as in the first set i had a barbell and two red bands doubled over. almost died, good thing for the training partner. so i went to the db, and singled the bands. much better.

you can almost take the db down to about your stomach which is a pretty solid r.o.m.

i did/do not really see this as a chest builder though.

even though i had to stay super tight during the whole thing.

do you think that i should be focusing on getting a real hard squeeze with the chest?

on a side note, next fri i will be starting off the workout with band assisted one armed chins. i tried them at the end of last fris workout but i was fried. i was doing supersets of the db/band pullover and band curls.

I was actually just going to try to set up bands for pullovers this morning some way. Bands are great, they give you one more dimension to training. The problem is set up time. I basically will stick to 2 exercises-that’s it.

BTW for upper pecs set up for a regular bench press-but attach the bands on the ground a little more toward the feet. Best with a close grip.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
I was actually just going to try to set up bands for pullovers this morning some way. Bands are great, they give you one more dimension to training. The problem is set up time. I basically will stick to 2 exercises-that’s it.

BTW for upper pecs set up for a regular bench press-but attach the bands on the ground a little more toward the feet. Best with a close grip.[/quote]

yea ever since i got my bands for xmas i have been using them for workouts. they deff add a whole new dimension. i concur about sticking to two (compound of course) exercises because of set up.

i usually try pair planes of movement and use same grip styles. such as a close grip, and underhand row or narrow grip rows. both with bands.

so far gains have been faster than i thought possible. even on a hypocaloric diet.

i like the idea of shifting the bands from your “groove” to produce a different effect. i will have to try the closer to the feet recomendation soon. in theory would this be comparable to an incine bench with bands… and using that logic why would close grip work best. it is probably a loose relationship but the close grip idea throws me off.

could you fill me in please?

[quote]vizunaldth wrote:
i like the idea of shifting the bands from your “groove” to produce a different effect. i will have to try the closer to the feet recomendation soon. in theory would this be comparable to an incine bench with bands… and using that logic why would close grip work best. it is probably a loose relationship but the close grip idea throws me off.

could you fill me in please?
[/quote]

The clavicular head of the pecs extends (in this case raises) the humerous (and internally rotates, and or “shrugs” most strongly in the peak position. Try other grips anyway. Also, its different than inclines because at the top there is still the downward pull (toward the feet) of the bands. You can also try shrugging the chest at the top.

thanks for the clarification, i will definately be giving it a try.