Pullover Pandemonium

Do you think they should be a staple in our workouts?

What muscles do you think it works best besides the lats and pecs?

Thanks in advance for opinions, thoughts, answers. etc.

Carlos

Glad to help. :wink:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Glad to help. ;)[/quote]

Right on target with that article, I’ll read it immediately.

Have you read it? What conclusions have you drawn?

Thank you very much, very useful.

Carlos

[quote]trap_builder wrote:

Glad to help. ;)[/quote]
Have you read it?
[/quote]

He Wrote it.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

Glad to help. ;)[/quote]
Have you read it?
[/quote]

He Wrote it.

S[/quote]

I wasn’t expecting that.

In that case I will read it and ask you and the author questions, in case you welcome them.

Thanks again.

Have you read it?
[/quote]
He Wrote it.

S[/quote]
Ba-dum-bum. :wink:

Ha, I was just about to say.

In that case I will read it and give you opinions, in case you welcome them.[/quote]
Sure thing, man.

There was also a pretty recent thread about pullovers with a bunch of members weighing in:
PullOvers - Competitive Bodybuilding - Forums - T Nation?

[^ LINK EDITED]

Have you read it?
[/quote]
He Wrote it.

S[/quote]
Ba-dum-bum. :wink:

Ha, I was just about to say.

In that case I will read it and give you opinions, in case you welcome them.[/quote]
Sure thing, man.

There was also a pretty recent thread about pullovers with a bunch of members weighing in:

[/quote]

That last link is not working, but I’ll dig into Mr. Colucci’s article.

Thanks

Do you think they should be a staple in our workouts?

What muscles do you think it works best besides the lats and pecs?

Thanks in advance for opinions, thoughts, answers. etc.

Carlos[/quote]

I like to use them at the beginning of my back workout, especially the nautilus pullover machine or straight arm pulldowns to help isolate the lats and keeping any bicep involvment to a minimum. As far as dumbell pullovers go I prefer to avoid them due to limited range of motion, and also I do feel them more on my triceps than my lats.

Glad to help. ;)[/quote]

Hey Mr. Colucci, I read your article on pullovers (interesting information there) and here are some thoughts, conclusions, and questions from my part:

1. The exercise has been around for about 100 years since we know it, but it has not been defined for what muscle it predominantly is or for what muscle was it intended to be for when created.

2. A long time ago, the perfect double exercise combination was squats + pullovers. If you had time for two exercises only this day, what would they be? What flaws did that choice have? What are the pros and cons of this ancient combination vs. some of the common ones? (squats + bench for example) If you were to follow this double exercises foundation, what muscle group do you think would end up paying the price?

3. This may be one of the few if not the only exercise that has a machine to robotize the movement and has been respected by well educated weightlifters.

4. The popularity of this exercise was lost basically by the arrival of “Functional Training” which I believe is being able to be what a normal athletic person is supposed to be outside of the “gym-hole” instead of crumbling down.

5. Several famous weightlifters say great things about this exercise, including:
    I. Arnold: Used it as a chest exercise mostly
    II. Yates: Used the nautilus for lats.
    III. Mentzer: Used the nautilus for lats, and got the first perfect BB score.
    IV. R. Coleman: Uses the exercises for his back… its just… LIGHT-WEIGHT BABY!!!
    V. Frank Zane: Used it for developing the serratus muscle and thinks it helped his “vacuum pose”
    VI. Contreras: Uses it for the chest

6. The article claims that this exercise is the only one that trule isolates the lats.

7. Cartilage Growth: This talk began in the 1920’s. Cartilage CAN grow, although the most proper word is REPAIR. The cells responsible for cartilage cell formation are called chondrocytes. However, this is a repair issue from the exercises we do, like the military press.

Nobody is getting any significant physique changes based on their cartilage growth. Cartilage doesn’t do it’s job better from becoming constantly bigger or stronger (like muscles). It repairs itself with the proper growth factors which stimulate chondrocytes.

So you can "expand your ribcage with other methods, train the serratus anterior which will create that illusion, as well as practicing that gay vacuum pose if you’re interested.

Nautilus pullover is my all-time favorite exercise. I can’t stand free weight pullovers.