Pulling the Bar into Back for Squats?

I read somewhere on an article that suggest to keep the elbows close as possible to the torso during squats and you actual pull the bar into your traps when you squat. When I tried out this technique my squat actually felt a lot weaker and my squat weight dropped from 165 to 145, am I missing something?

personally for me if i keep my grip narrow i end up concentrating more on keeping the bar from moving side to side than i am on the actual squatting movement

The point is to keep your shoulders flexed and tight so that your medial and rear delts provide a stable base for the bar to rest comfortably and safely.

If you’re acheiving that (narrow grip, elbows back), I think you should save your focus for depth and making your center of balance stay over your heels.

if I ever get the sensation of leaning forward too much or stalling on the lift, pulling down on the bar has helped. Why? not really sure, but I remember the football coach recommending to do this waaaaay back in high school.

do you guys prefer the bar on your delts or traps ?

Low bar, better balance for me.

[quote]Otep wrote:
The point is to keep your shoulders flexed and tight so that your medial and rear delts provide a stable base for the bar to rest comfortably and safely.

If you’re acheiving that (narrow grip, elbows back), I think you should save your focus for depth and making your center of balance stay over your heels.[/quote]

Yep this is exactly it.

[quote]Otep wrote:

If you’re acheiving that (narrow grip, elbows back), I think you should save your focus for depth and making your center of balance stay over your heels.[/quote]

x2