Pulling Movements With Broken Hand

So, I’m trying to clear my sidewalk last night. Six inches of hard-packed snow and ice, with an ice scraper. And all those Woodchops I’ve incorporated recently really let me get behind that baby. When you’re at the just the right angle the blow can take out a good 1’ x 2’ chunk. Saves a lot of chipping.

Well, on one particularly world record discus throw torque, I was not at “just the right angle”. And the sudden physics experiment involving the deceleration of the handle was made manifest in the inside of the last knuckle of my right hand.

Just got back from the Doc this afternoon. Spiral fracture of the fifth metacarpal, or boxers fracture with an applied torque. Fiberglass splint, six weeks, no trying to grip for three,…

I’m still only mildly freaking out, but that could deteriorate rather quickly. It’s Friday night, and all this has me thinking about rye for the first time in years. Don’t let me go there. I was making great gains. The last time I was shutdown for four weeks, I dropped 25 pounds. Not good. Must stay active.

I need a plan.

I may be able to get enough palm for some machine presses and pressdowns, leg press, back extensions… But what to pull? That whole unilateral thing kinda weirds me out, but I’ll try anything.

Any new insight is much appreciated.

Cheers,

You might want to take it easy, but some exercises you might consider are:

Good Mornings, Zercher Squats/Deadlifts, Back Extensions, Hands-Free Front Squats

Thanks

I am in a similar predicament, except my fracture isn’t a spiral. It’s angulated and displaced. This Tuesday, I am having surgery to fix it consisting of a plate and screws. The weird thing is I have full function of my hand. It’s just swollen a little and there is a bump at the break.

I was wondering what I was going to do besides being able to squat. I have a SSB so I am not too worried about that. I’ll have to figure something out because the doctor said something like 6-8 weeks after surgery.

I hope someone chimes in with something because squatting every couple of days will get old quickly.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:

Good Mornings, Zercher Squats/Deadlifts, Back Extensions, Hands-Free Front Squats

Thanks[/quote]

Thanks, I just thought of the Zerchers also.

What’s your idea of a Hands-Free Front Squat?

You can try cable exercises with the wrist strap attachments. Seated rows, spider rows, pulldowns of all sorts, etc. This should also make stressing your back over your arms a lot easier.

[quote]Dr Fish wrote:
johnnytang24 wrote:

Thanks

[/quote]

I guess u could try putting the bar across your shoulders and your arms criss crossed over the bar so that will relieve your hands from too much work

[quote]Dr Fish wrote:
johnnytang24 wrote:

Thanks

[/quote]

http://koti.welho.com/jhuhtak2/videot/etukyykky_150.mpg