T Nation

pulling exercise and scapular adduction

I need an explanation on what he means. shouldn't the scapular retractors be activated first in a pulling motion? why is a faulty pattern? where does scapular adduction occur in pulling motions like a row?

from paul chek's "movement that matters"

"An example of faulty load sharing can be witnessed in those individuals who have been taught to adduct their scapulae prior to initiating a pull with the lats and other muscles. This faulty motor sequence disrupts load sharing by first recruiting the scapular adductors, shortening them beyond the range of their optimal length/force and length/tension relationships, which then leaves the scapulohumeral musculature to perform the remainder of the work. This often leads to strain and trigger point development of the teres major, teres minor and infraspinatus muscles, or otherwise known as pattern overload.(1, 2)

The athlete who regularly performs pulling exercises in the manner described above will likely have a shortening of the scapulohumeral musculature which eventually leads to faulty scapulothoracic rhythm. The result is scapulae that rotate prematurely during all pulling or abduction movements. Over time, this results in stretch weakness of the middle and lower trapezius, and rhomboid musculature. Individuals with this type of dysfunction will present themselves clinically as experiencing pain between the shoulder blades and often demonstrate reduced range of motion in shoulder abduction, internal rotation, and shoulder flexion."

thanks

Lior

I just looked at mell siff's book and found no scapular "Adduction", not only that, those muscles mentioned (teres, infraspinatus etc) have attachment in the scapulae not insertions and thus do not move it but move (adduct) the shoulder.

did he mean: "do not start pulling bu adducting your shoulder"? in the barbell row, shoulder adduction is meaningless as the direction of resistance is to shoulder extension and there is zero resistance in the adduction plain

if he's talking about wide grip pullups/pulldowns then if I change scapula to shoulder I understand but that's to much editing on my part to make it right

he wants an equal sharing of the spino-scapula muscles and the gleno-humeral muscles. Basically you finish your scapula adduction at the same time you finish your arm movement. And this is the same no matter what row movement you are doing. At the end range of motion your should have your scapula fully adducted, even on the barbell row. So the adduction takes place gradually, and over the entire movement, rather than just doing it at the start or at the end.

Also with the rowing movement, I think that you should pull with the elbows (keep them close to the side of the body) which aids in scapula adduction.

whats a scapular adduction?

do you mean inward rotation?

I believe what Chek is talking about is the movement some people have been taught to do before a cable row. Some people are told to "pinch the soulder blades together." I'm not 100% sure but that movement requires the teres. If Eric C. is around he should be able to verify this.

PGA: teres mior/major goes form the scapula to the umerus. no retraction there, sorry. retraction is trapezius (lower, middle shallow, middle deep) and rhomboids.

Glute. Here it states that the teres major does help shoulder adduction and abduction. By pulling the scapula in the teres has to be contracted.

http://www.edb.utexas.edu/syllabus/farrar/PM.html

sholder adduction! not scapular retraction!

re-read my post...