T Nation

Pulled Hamstring and Cramping

about 5 years ago I pulled my hamstring pretty bad! anyways after i recovered, I have been cramping in that 1 spot many times a day every day. I am have always had issues with Cramping, especially when I was playing college ball. I have upped my sodium intake at times (never worked), increased my potassium (never worked), and I just don’t know what to do. I drink a minimum of 1.5 gallons a day and shoot for 2.5.

I stretch my hamstrings 3-4 times a day. I just dont know what else I can do. I cramp in other places to sometimes, but everyday in the same spot. balls up into a knot in the very middle of where the injury took place.

Any advice?

Foam roll.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
Foam roll.[/quote]

I have a good one and used to do it a lot (still cramped), but I will begin doing it more often. At this point, I will try anything.

[quote]csquaredosu66 wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
Foam roll.[/quote]

I have a good one and used to do it a lot (still cramped), but I will begin doing it more often. At this point, I will try anything.[/quote]

Your hamstring is cramping 99% because of scar tissue. You have to break it up. If foam rolling does not hurt like a bitch, it is not enough. If it is really deep, only hard massaging will break it up. Hope you heal soon.

agree with niksamaras,had similar problem more likly you had a tear and the area needs a bit of manual work and it hurrrrrrrrrrts big style,or u could try rolling with hockey ball

Foam roll with a pvc pipe. Or an atlas stone. It’s gotta hurt.

Any update? I just read this thread and I have a similar issue though the cramping does not occur as often as it does for the OP. I’m thinking of getting massage therapy but if something like a lacrosse ball might work I would rather start with that. I’ve tried the foam roller but it doesn’t do much.