T Nation

Pulled Back Muscle

Hello all,
I seem to have pulled a muscle on my left side next to my back doing my squats this morning. Any suggestions on a) How to trreat it and b) how long i should wait before picking up weights again… at least for squats :P.

JF

a)see doctor or chiro

b)apply heat, peferably moist. If heat makes it hurt apply cold. You could also use a topical like bengay, massage it in really well. Self-massage, light mobility work and light lifting (about 20 reps a set) will promote blood flow to the injury which will in turn promote healing, this is why I reccomend using heat(hotpad, whirlpool,etc) unless excess inflammation is present(if heat hurts you got it) I would say it takes 2-6weeks before fully healing depending on the severity of the injury.

c)use your glutes. How much were you lifting when you injured yourself?

[quote]wyrd1 wrote:
a)see doctor or chiro

b)apply heat, peferably moist. If heat makes it hurt apply cold. You could also use a topical like bengay, massage it in really well. Self-massage, light mobility work and light lifting (about 20 reps a set) will promote blood flow to the injury which will in turn promote healing, this is why I reccomend using heat(hotpad, whirlpool,etc) unless excess inflammation is present(if heat hurts you got it) I would say it takes 2-6weeks before fully healing depending on the severity of the injury.

c)use your glutes. How much were you lifting when you injured yourself?[/quote]

Thanks for all your advice. :slight_smile:
I saw a friend of mine who is a DR. of PT and we determined it is not directly a back muscle. It seems to bae a stabalizing muscle deep, since it does not hurt when pressue is applied, but only during twisting and bending motions to the opposite side. I may have tipped, unknowingly, to that side since I had ACL and Cartalidge reconstruction on that side 9 months ago and the quad is still a tad weaker than the other one.

I was lifting 265 by the way.

I will continue to apply heat. Unfortunatly, my wife is gone for four days so I don’t have anyone to apply the bengay.

I will attempt to find a lift that hits this area. I did a bunch of stuff today and NONE of it hot the sore area. here’s a list of what I did

BO Rows
Deadlifts
Incline Bench
Shroulder Shrugs
EZ Curls
Close Grip Press
Rotator Cuff Work

I avoided core work or anything the required weights over my shoulders while standing up.

Thanks again!

JF

If you have an inflammation issue, which is typical of a pulled or strained muscle, you absoluetly do not want to put heat on it. Put ice on it in 10 minute intervals every hour or two. Should help relieve the inflammation and aid in healing.