T Nation

Pulled Ab During a Deadlift

Hello all,
Ok. I was all excited the other day because I did something I had never done before. I deadlifted 275lbs. (5x6) while doing CT’s leg day on his weight loss program. I really struggled on the 4th set and before the fifth I figured out that I had not tightened my core really well before that set, hence the problems.

I stepped up, tightened my abs, and pulled another 6 reps out of the air. During these reps, my core felt more strained than it ever has in my life.

I felt GREAT at first, having actually pulled it off. However, it's three days later, and after doing some ab work today I have what I can only describe as an ache in my lower abs. Doing the reverse crunches themselves did not hurt, but the ache increased after doing them. 

 Does this sound like I pulled something deep in my abdomen? Or is it just sore in a way I have never experienced before because I lifted more and harder than I ever have in my life.

Thanks!

JF

[quote]Jesus_Freak wrote:
Hello all,
Ok. I was all excited the other day because I did something I had never done before. I deadlifted 275lbs. (5x6) while doing CT’s leg day on his weight loss program. I really struggled on the 4th set and before the fifth I figured out that I had not tightened my core really well before that set, hence the problems.

I stepped up, tightened my abs, and pulled another 6 reps out of the air. During these reps, my core felt more strained than it ever has in my life.

I felt GREAT at first, having actually pulled it off. However, it's three days later, and after doing some ab work today I have what I can only describe as an ache in my lower abs. Doing the reverse crunches themselves did not hurt, but the ache increased after doing them. 

 Does this sound like I pulled something deep in my abdomen? Or is it just sore in a way I have never experienced before because I lifted more and harder than I ever have in my life.

Thanks!

JF[/quote]

is it a shooting, stabbing pain. if so then something happened there. if it is a radiating kind of soreness, then it is just DOMS

hernia

[quote]Jesus_Freak wrote:
I stepped up, tightened my abs, and pulled another 6 reps out of the air. During these reps, my core felt more strained than it ever has in my life.[/quote]

Well when you say “tightened my abs”, do you mean you sucked in your gut? Or did you breathe into your belly and brace your abdominals?

This is a VERY important distinction because the former can cause injury, while the latter helps maintain your lower back arch.

Check out Eric Cressey’s latest article about “Seven Analogies” if my post is unclear in any way.

[quote]chillain wrote:
Jesus_Freak wrote:
I stepped up, tightened my abs, and pulled another 6 reps out of the air. During these reps, my core felt more strained than it ever has in my life.

Well when you say “tightened my abs”, do you mean you sucked in your gut? Or did you breathe into your belly and brace your abdominals?

This is a VERY important distinction because the former can cause injury, while the latter helps maintain your lower back arch.

Check out Eric Cressey’s latest article about “Seven Analogies” if my post is unclear in any way.

[/quote]
I breathed into my belly and braced myself.
Sucking my gut in sounds painful…

JF

[quote]Torque wrote:
hernia[/quote]

Ugh… I really hope not.

If this is so, what are my options?

JF

Just go see a doctor, they will be able to tell fairly quickly whether or not it’s a hernia or whether it’s just a strain.

[quote]Torque wrote:
Just go see a doctor, they will be able to tell fairly quickly whether or not it’s a hernia or whether it’s just a strain. [/quote]

I am going tomorrow :slight_smile:

JF

Hello again,
Thanks for all the input. I went to my doctor today and he said there is no hernia, YAHOO :). So I just need to take it easy and avoid pain until it heals…

JF