T Nation

Pull-Ups With a Low Bar?

I put up my doorway pullup bar when I was probably 10 years old. Now the top of my head is level with the bar. First of all, is it possible to do pulls/chins with good form when the bar is this low, and… if anyone knows how to get out those standard doorway bars and move them higher, I’d appreciate that (I wouldn’t have to worry about my form then).

Thanks!

I don’t see how this can’t be answered by spending all of 1 minute to figure it out while standing in front of it.

Can you hang from it with your knees bent?

If yes:
Can you pull yourself up to the bar?

If yes:
You just answered your own question.

Alright I just read a post where a guy said his bar was too low so he couldn’t do pullups so I figured that maybe bending the knees wasn’t good form. Well thanks for clearing that up!

What’s preventing you from moving the bar higher? I heard they make tools for that kind of stuff

You can also have your legs out in front of you so you look like an “L”. This has the added benefit of working your abs.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
What’s preventing you from moving the bar higher? I heard they make tools for that kind of stuff[/quote]

I’m not sure how to.

[quote]hazerfazer wrote:
robo1 wrote:
What’s preventing you from moving the bar higher? I heard they make tools for that kind of stuff

I’m not sure how to.[/quote]

It’s either held in by long wood screws or attached to a bracket that is held in by long wood screws. If a bracket, then you might not see the screw heads until you slide the bar off of the bracket (try pushing up on the bar to slide it off).

Good luck.