Pull-Ups Training with 5/3/1 Full Body Template

Hi,

I am currently using slightly modified 5/3/1 full body template. DB accessory exercises were replaced with bodyweight ones.

Monday
• Squat – 3 sets of 5-10 reps (using deload percentages)
• Deadlift – 5/3/1 sets and reps
• Dips – 3 sets of 8-20 reps

Wednesday
• Squat – 3 sets of 5-10 reps (using deload percentages)
• Bench Press – 5/3/1 sets and reps
• Ring Rows – 3 set

Friday
• Squat – 5/3/1 sets and reps
• Press – 5/3/1 sets and reps
• Chins – 3-5 sets

I would like to improve on pullups by incorporating two more sessions per week. Most likely they will be weighted session, volume session, and AMRAP session (50 pullups total in as many sets as it takes).

I really like 3 day split and squating every session. Will it be apropriate to replace current assistance excercises with the three pullup session that I have described?

I feel that this way I can focus in one goal at a time and once the goal is reached I can incorporate other assistance work into the template.

Thanks.

Just do them every training day and see what happens. I do back work almost everyday and have yet to see any problem with it.

If you read Beyond then you’ll see Jim mentions pull ups and face pulls/band pull aparts a bit more. I’m doing the full body template and I do pull ups between squat sets (between warm-up sets on the 5/3/1 day). I’ve also started doing reverse cable fly’s, band pull aparts, or face pulls between my pressing sets. For now I’m only doing 3 sets.

Unless you’re doing 3+ sets of 10 strict pull ups then I wouldn’t worry about weighted pull ups yet. And I do a double rest pause set on my 3rd set each day. I hit 8-10 reps, rest 15 sec, 2-3 reps, rest 15 sec, 2-3 reps and done.

This is just my opinion on the pull ups. Adding weight when you can’t do 15-20 in a row seems like adding chains to do squats when your max is 250lbs. Could it help you improve? Probably. But doing the exercise like normal would also help you improve.

I have been stuck at 11 strict pullups and 12 chinups for some time. I’ve read somewhere that adding weighted pullups can help with increasing the number of pullups, as well as ladders and volume training. Jim has a good a good article on pullups (Weighted Chin Ups).

I was just wondering how it is better to incorporate this plan into my current workout template without adding extra volume.

Are you worried about volume? It’s rare to see someone do too much back work. Actually, I still haven’t heard of anyone suffering from adverse effects of too much pulling and focus on the back of the body. If you’re worried about time then add them between sets like I mentioned before.

I don’t think you’ll see any negative results from doing pull ups instead of ring rows. Superset them with your dips on Mondays too.

I’ve done weighted pull ups in the past but had the best results from 2 sets of 10 followed by a double rest pause set to failure. At one point I could do 4x10 with 60-80 sec rest between sets. As soon as I backed off on pull ups I lost that.

Good luck!

Never heard of rest/pause training method before. I’ve done some research and it seems like something I am willing to try with bodyweight pullups.

I also came across an interesting approach that would allow me to do weighted pullups in a similar manner.

"What you do initially to prepare yourself for modified rest-pause training is to take your three rep max and do ten singles with that weight. Instead of taking only 10-15 seconds between each set, take one-minute breaks between each set.

For most people, this won’t be too difficult and that, of course, is the point. I want you to build a pattern of success with a few relatively easy training sessions to prepare you for the brutal rest pause training sessions to follow. Once you can complete all ten singles with one minute breaks, decrease the breaks to 45 seconds between each set. Keep the weight the same.

Once you can complete all ten sets at 45 seconds, go down to 30 seconds. Once you can do that, go to 15 seconds (even though you’re only resting 15 seconds, you’ll still rack the weight in-between).

Once you’ve completed ten sets with 15 second breaks, increase the weight by 10 pounds and go back to one minute breaks between sets. Work your way down the rest pause ladder again until you’re back to 15-second breaks. At that point, increase the weight again by another 10 pounds." (Rest/Pause Training: What, Why, Who and How?)