Pull-Ups/Chin-Ups vs. Lat Pull-Downs

If you can’t do them yet, don’t use the assisted machine. Do negatives until your body is shaking.

If you really give the negatives your all, you’ll be able to start repping out chins soon, I promise.

So are you saying you are now too fat to do bodyweight chins?

If not I think the best lat exercises are chins and rows. Pull downs are a week exercise because they allow you to cheat, usually do not have enough weight plates, and just don’t stimulate the mass that chins do IMO.

[quote]Lorisco wrote:

If not I think the best lat exercises are chins and rows. Pull downs are a week exercise because they allow you to cheat, usually do not have enough weight plates, and just don’t stimulate the mass that chins do IMO.
[/quote]

are you saying that you can’t cheat doing pullups/chins?

-does the word “kipping” ring a bell?

[quote]Animal_Mother wrote:
Lorisco wrote:

-does the word “kipping” ring a bell?[/quote]

No, you can cheat doing chins, but cheating is much easier with pull downs because you are anchored. If fact, I have yet to see someone not cheat on pull downs.

Cheating with chins involves swinging and using your abds more. So cheating at chins still works something, unlike pull downs using your body weight to cheat.

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
Animal_Mother wrote:
Lorisco wrote:

No, you can cheat doing chins, but cheating is much easier with pull downs because you are anchored. If fact, I have yet to see someone not cheat on pull downs. Cheating with chins involves swinging and using your abds more. So cheating at chins still works something, unlike pull downs using your body weight to cheat.

[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve probably seen the most atrocious form at the lat pulldown, moreso than anywhere else.

S

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:
If you can’t do them yet, don’t use the assisted machine. Do negatives until your body is shaking.

If you really give the negatives your all, you’ll be able to start repping out chins soon, I promise.[/quote]

Who exactly was that directed at, the OP already said numerous times that he can do pullups.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Lorisco wrote:
Animal_Mother wrote:
Lorisco wrote:

No, you can cheat doing chins, but cheating is much easier with pull downs because you are anchored. If fact, I have yet to see someone not cheat on pull downs. Cheating with chins involves swinging and using your abds more. So cheating at chins still works something, unlike pull downs using your body weight to cheat.

Yeah, I’ve probably seen the most atrocious form at the lat pulldown, moreso than anywhere else.

S

[/quote]

That title goes to squats for my gym, but the pulldown is pretty up there with consistant bad form as well.

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:

If you really give the negatives your all, you’ll be able to start repping out chins soon, I promise.

Who exactly was that directed at, the OP already said numerous times that he can do pullups.
[/quote]

oh I thought someone was talking about using the assisted machine because they couldn’t do them with bodyweight. My bad if that was a mistake… I just don’t think the assisted machine is all that great and can put strain on the shoulders.

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:
PF_88 wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:

oh I thought someone was talking about using the assisted machine because they couldn’t do them with bodyweight. My bad if that was a mistake… I just don’t think the assisted machine is all that great and can put strain on the shoulders.[/quote]

How would it strain the shoulders when you’re doing less than bodyweight? Not trying to be a smartass. I really don’t know.

I do think the assisted pull up machine has its place though. If you put on weight too fast for your pull ups to keep up with, you either have to switch to pull downs or use the assisted machine. Or just do pull ups for lower reps…

Animal_Mother, Great avatar and name!

I recently got 9 wide grip pullups with a 25 lb plate hanging. I weigh 220 and am probably 15 - 17% bf, so I felt this was good for me so far.

[quote]Artem wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:
PF_88 wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:

oh I thought someone was talking about using the assisted machine because they couldn’t do them with bodyweight. My bad if that was a mistake… I just don’t think the assisted machine is all that great and can put strain on the shoulders.

How would it strain the shoulders when you’re doing less than bodyweight? Not trying to be a smartass. I really don’t know.

I do think the assisted pull up machine has its place though. If you put on weight too fast for your pull ups to keep up with, you either have to switch to pull downs or use the assisted machine. Or just do pull ups for lower reps…

[/quote]

Quite honestly, I am no anatomy expert so I have no idea, I only say that because I have two friends who ended up with severe shoulder pain from using the assisted machine. I think a lot of people tend to jerk and just screw up the movement all together. If this isn’t the case for you and you feel it in your lats, then by all means go ahead and do them.

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:
Artem wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:
PF_88 wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:

I think a lot of people tend to jerk and just screw up the movement all together.[/quote]

Agreed. It is a fairly conspicuous feeling dangling from a bar and people feel they need to complete the rep no matter how.

I think you already have the answer to your question. If you don’t think that pull-ups do anything for you, why continue to do them?

I would just go for the pull-downs only for 8 weeks or so and if you notice a difference in your size/strength gains, add the pull-ups back in.

Hmnnn I guess the case could be made for any movement/machine that restricts your natural motions. If you’re positioning yourself in such a way that there is excessive stress on the shoulder girdle, then the problem may be more with the performance, than with the actual machine.

S

IMO, pullups are way,way superior than pulldowns.I will never drop pullups/chinups from my routine.These, in combination with rows and deadlifts will build a helluva a back and big,defined arms, especially since you are heavy.

I feel whenever i emphasize pullups in my routine that my gains are solid.Even if you can only do low reps, do multiple sets of low reps.

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:
Lorisco wrote:
Animal_Mother wrote:
Lorisco wrote:

S

That title goes to squats for my gym, but the pulldown is pretty up there with consistant bad form as well.[/quote]

Pull downs and cable rows is where I see most everyone cheat.

Chins are king!

thing is if it aint working drop it , its just waisting your time in the gym swap to another exercise that works for you,

i am currently doing chins/pull-ups only now…

I don’t think the difference between the two exercises is as significant as many people assume. Some guys spite pulldowns out of an apparent phobia of anything that could be mistaken for a machine.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I don’t think the difference between the two exercises is as great as many people assume. Some guys spite pulldowns out of an apparent phobia of anything that could be mistaken for a machine, but I don’t think that’s valid.[/quote]

but just consider the obvious difference in difficulty between the two exercises. i feel pulldowns are still easier even when using more than my bodyweight.

a lot of people just can’t do pullups…