Pull-Up Strength

[quote]kroc30 wrote:
Just read my last post and typo - That was 6-8 sets, not 68 sets!!![/quote]

I’m glad you corrected that. I had just set up my prayer mat to worship at your altar.

Just for the record, I wasn’t talking about me. I can do 20 pull-ups at a BW of 190 lbs. I also think pull-ups are extremely important for upper body development. I hope to do 25-30 at a BW of 200 by the end of the year.

[quote]Msogard wrote:
Just for the record, I wasn’t talking about me. I can do 20 pull-ups at a BW of 190 lbs. I also think pull-ups are extremely important for upper body development. I hope to do 25-30 at a BW of 200 by the end of the year.[/quote]

I knew you weren’t talking about yourself. You’re a T-man. T-men don’t neglect back and legs like your typical “Chester” at the gym. I was just answering your question about what it says about a guy who can bench some good weight but can’t pull much.

Speaking of Chester, I saw Chester and his buddy at the gym today and they actually did back. You know, lat pull downs and cable rows!!!

also I find that my pullup strength goes up not down when Im cutting… . maybe its just the loss of that first kg or something that helps but I can usually get out 2 more reps on a set than before I started dieting down. …

43 pullups @ 175 lbs. All from a dead-hang.

I think my years as a competitive swimmer helped out.

I actually have a pullup question – I’m a girl, and I’m totally blown away that you guys talk about doing forty or something at a time (wow!)

What exercises are the best to prep myself for the world of pullups? Do dips help? I can do some reverse pullups (and maybe a ‘real’ pullup) with my palms facing me, so should I focus on those?

My guess would be rows and maybe military dumbell presses, but I’m not really sure.

never done as many as possible but I have done 30 @ 190lbs to beat the guy that did 29 in my police academy. I can also do 8 with 90lbs added.

[quote]ljakaitis wrote:
I actually have a pullup question – I’m a girl, and I’m totally blown away that you guys talk about doing forty or something at a time (wow!)

What exercises are the best to prep myself for the world of pullups? Do dips help? I can do some reverse pullups (and maybe a ‘real’ pullup) with my palms facing me, so should I focus on those?

My guess would be rows and maybe military dumbell presses, but I’m not really sure.[/quote]

The stronger everything is the easier a pull-up will be. Push-ups seem to help, so do power cleans and lat pulldowns. I’ve gotten a few girls to the point where they can do chin-ups using those 3 exercises.

[quote]Msogard wrote:
How important is pull-up strength? Would you say it’s just as important as a horizontal pushing movement? (bench press)

What does it say about a 220 lb lifter who can bench 315 but only do a few pull-ups? Perhaps their vertical pulling strength is holding them back. How many pull-ups can you guys do, and at what bodyweight?[/quote]

Not too many fatties responding here. My pulling (vertical and horizontal) dominates my pressing. Although I haven’t tried a single body weight max effort, it would be in the 15-20 range. I typically do weighted sets of 3-5 in the 25-75# range at my current body weight of 230-235#s. No way in hell could I put the equivalent weight overhead.

I’m soon to embark on a program that will have me doing as many bodyweight pullups as possible in 15 minutes. Last time, about a year ago, I got close to 100 at 210-215#s. I intend to get past 100 this time at 215#-225#s. Wish me luck!

Dan

[quote]Dan Fouts wrote:

I’m soon to embark on a program that will have me doing as many bodyweight pullups as possible in 15 minutes. Last time, about a year ago, I got close to 100 at 210-215#s. I intend to get past 100 this time at 215#-225#s. Wish me luck!

Dan[/quote]

I’m curious, what kind of rep scheme and rest interval do you have in mind on your 15min embarkment…I mean program?

25 or 26 reps kipped at 180.

Haven’t done dead hang in over half a year; I did something like 21 at 170.

Weighted: Best is BW of 180+95.

These are all chins, BTW.

[quote]Dan Fouts wrote:

Kir Dog wrote:
I’m curious, what kind of rep scheme and rest interval do you have in mind on your 15min embarkment…I mean program?[/quote]

EDT style parameters but without the antagonistic lift. Last time I believe that I started with sets of 5 @ 60 seconds rest. As I progressed, I both increased the reps per set (especially on the front end) and/or decreased the rest intervals. I have my log book from last year if you want to see more details.

That was part of the best program I ever did.

Dan

[quote]Dan Fouts wrote:
Dan Fouts wrote:

Dan[/quote]

Bastard…? Is that you…?

The pull ups and barbell rows are definitely needed to balance any presses you do. Try using some variety also - V-bar pull ups and reverse grip pull ups both help also.

[quote]ljakaitis wrote:

My guess would be rows and maybe military dumbell presses, but I’m not really sure.[/quote]

1. Start with just a straight arm hang for time. When you are capable of hanging for 90 sec. you will be really close to doing a pull-up/chin-up.

2. Incline chins/pull-ups. Set the bar at about 3-4 feet.

3. Do them all. There are no BAD chin/pull-ups. They’re all good and there is carry-over. The only bad ones are the ones that you don’t do.

Good luck.

TNT

[quote]Kir Dog wrote:

I’m curious, what kind of rep scheme and rest interval do you have in mind on your 15min embarkment…I mean program?[/quote]

In addition to Dan’s response on the EDT method, which is great, I followed GPP ASAP for a few weeks earlier this year and it kinda sorta achieves the same objective using what Chad calls “hydrid” exercises. The first hybrid is pull-up / push-up. Do one of each. Rinse and repeat for a period of time, then rest. There are intervals and rest periods, but these are for GPP - you could play with them for maximizing pull-ups, probably?

I managed to do 89 hybrid pairings in a 13.5 min period (my form was not strict, but not terrible either). I was doing these about twice a week, and got pretty good at it (started with about 50 reps in same period, saw weekly improvements). I intend to do them again some time; I’m sure I will be back to 50 reps or so to start. :slight_smile:

Worth a look, perhaps? Search articles for GPP ASAP by Chad.

WiZlon

i weigh 82kg and i can do 1 pullup with 40kg attached to me.

i can do over 20 pull ups with my own body weight never tried to go further dan 20.

i can bench 125kg which is only 3 kg more dan my pullup strength.

25 @ 175lbs bw

did 4x6 with 35lbs strapped to me on all 4 sets today

[quote]ljakaitis wrote:

What exercises are the best to prep myself for the world of pullups? Do dips help? I can do some reverse pullups (and maybe a ‘real’ pullup) with my palms facing me, so should I focus on those? .[/quote]

My guess would be rows and maybe military dumbell presses, but I’m not really sure

To the young lady who wanted to know how to get up to doing pull ups.

If you train with a partner, do assited pull ups for 2 weeks, say 3-5 sets of 3-5.
Then do assited PU’s but hold yourself up on the last rep of each set and then do a slow negative. 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps 3-4 times a week for 2 weeks.

Then on Week 5, try a PU un assited, you should get 1-3 of them. Start doing strait sets, get as many unassited, but when you cant get up on your own,let your partner help and do the S-L-O-W negative at the end of each set. 3-5 sets of 5 reps 3-4 times a week for 2-3 weeks.
After that do PUs in singles, double and triples, or use Tsatsoulines GTG.

I used GTG 4 years ago to get 28 Dead Hang, strict neck to bar pull ups at 185#.
Pull ups help you do Pull ups.
I did 14, 4 weeks ago at 210 we use a beam on the multi station as it’s PU bar is too thin and low to the ground, the beam is like climbing a wall.

PUs are always part of my training, and my numbers will go up when I hit the 3rd phase of my current cycle.

BTW a Pull up is with the palms facing away from you. When your hands are facing you, it’s a chin up, a good drill as well, but easier and less functional than a pull up without thumbs.(closer to climbing a wall or getting to a roof or ledge for safety-Wonder howm many drowned durring Katrina because they could’nt pull up to a roof.)