T Nation

Pull-Up Question

I was wondering what does pull-ups excatly work out (like the target muscle and the synergist)…

Also what does the different grips do? How much does it change the target muscle and the synergist?

Like the palms up, or the palms down…

Thank you

[quote]ObsceneJester wrote:
I was wondering what does pull-ups excatly work out (like the target muscle and the synergist)…

Also what does the different grips do? How much does it change the target muscle and the synergist?

Thank you[/quote]

The prime movers are the lats, rhomboids, traps, and rear delts.

By changing the grip, you are able to hit certain muscles a little harder-i.e. wide would hit the lats harder, supinated-narrow grip would hit your biceps harder.

Always include movements in your program with the shoulders externally rotated to keep them healthy. Balance is key.

As said before, changing the body position or the hand grip completely changes the place muscle where the stress is placed. Middle grip, Palms away is mainly deltoid. Short to middle grip palms facing each other is more bicep, wide grip more lat. Depending on your workout split, you could potentially do them all. Another major benefit with a pull up is you dont need to go to the gym to do them.

The best website for this stuff is exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

[quote]ObsceneJester wrote:

Thank you[/quote]

Woah, I’m going to give you the short answer:

Different variations of the pull-up/chin-up just bring more focus to certain parts and you can definately feel it and it’s always good to switch-up the grip!

Muscles Activated (not in any specific order): entire upper back, traps, biceps, forearms, shoulders, serratus and there are ton of stabilizers (antagonistic muscles) that are involved.

Pull-ups are one of my favorite. Without getting specific and scientific, just find the grip that is the most difficult for you and emphasize it. For me it is that simple. Tie weights to you or anything heavy and start experimenting. I use a rope. BTW, the previous posts are right about targeted muscles, I just don’t train that way. I lift because I love to and I have respect for all other forms of lifting. Experimenting is a fun way to lift!