Pull Up/Chin Up Grip

I’ve read numerous times that medium grip pull ups/ chin ups are the way to go as they allow for a greater range of motion so therefore in theory better lat development.

However I read recently that wide grip pull ups/ chin ups work the outer lats more in fact it states the wider the grip the more outer development, which would then mean greater width.

So is it true the wider the grip the more outer lat development ??

Please don’t reply with you should use various grips as that I already know i’m just interested on if the wide grip effects the outer lats more or not ?

Thanks in advance for any replies

I have always thought that a wide grip for pull ups (and pull downs) worked the outer lats more. It also focuses the movement away from other muscle groups such as shoulders, arms and even chest which is why they are harder to do than medium or close grip pulls.

This topic was covered quite extensively in a recent thread, hopefully this will be helpful for you:

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_bigger_stronger_leaner/advice_for_wider_lats?id=5751274&pageNo=0

Thanks for the link…very interesting although from what I’ve read from the link I don’t think it matters if a wide grip or a more narrow grip is used as long as you do pull ups/chins of some kind your back will get wider.

[quote]tredaway wrote:
However I read recently that wide grip pull ups/ chin ups work the outer lats more in fact it states the wider the grip the more outer development, which would then mean greater width.

So is it true the wider the grip the more outer lat development ??[/quote]
That presumes the “outer lats” can be worked more than the “inner lats.” To me, that’s getting into “upper/lower biceps” territory. As in, no such thing. Some guys may like the movement for simple variety, but I wouldn’t make them the cornerstone of a back routine.

Use the grip width that allows an effective stretch and contraction for your frame (arm length, body type, etc). Going wider will reduce the ROM, as you said, which will tend to reduce the overall effectiveness of the pulldown. The wider out you grip, the more your arms are to the side rather than in front of the body, increasing the arm work while decreasing the back contribution.

A wider grip will more heavily tax the Teres Major as it is more of a Shoulder Adduction motion while a narrower grip will tax the Lats more as it is a Shoulder Extension exercise. Both will technically hit both muscles, but you can emphasize one or the other depending on the relative angle of your Humerus/upper arm to your torso.

Like Cris said there are no “outer” vs “inner” lats, but being that the lats are a Triangular muscle (like the pec major) and therefore have fibers that run in a variety of different angles of pull, you can emphasize different parts of the muscle by changing the angle of pull.

That presumes the “outer lats” can be worked more than the “inner lats.” To me, that’s getting into “upper/lower biceps” territory. As in, no such thing.[/quote]

That’s how I thought but the article was written by quite a well known and respected person, I think it was actually from an article written for T nation but can’t remember.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
A wider grip will more heavily tax the Teres Major as it is more of a Shoulder Adduction motion while a narrower grip will tax the Lats more as it is a Shoulder Extension exercise. Both will technically hit both muscles, but you can emphasize one or the other depending on the relative angle of your Humerus/upper arm to your torso.

Like Cris said there are no “outer” vs “inner” lats, but being that the lats are a Triangular muscle (like the pec major) and therefore have fibers that run in a variety of different angles of pull, you can emphasize different parts of the muscle by changing the angle of pull. [/quote]

This gem of a post will probably just be buried away…

Sentoguy to be fare to the T NATION writer of the article he did actually say a wide grip effects the teres major and not just the outer lats…Good post though thanks for the info :slight_smile: