T Nation

Pull Up Bar

I was looking to buy a mounted (not doorway) pull up bar but the cheapest I could find them was about $100! Does anyone know how I could build one?

You can buy a removable one for $30 at most places, and the stationary ones are usually about the same.

I’m in the same boat. I tried out a $120 vkr at Sports Authority over the weekend and I was concerned about the flexing with just my body weight. I don’t want to spend $300-$400 for a ‘gym-grade’ piece. My dad built a pullup bar many years ago, but he welded a steel bar to a rectangular steel plate on each end and suspended it from the floor joists in the basement. I am looking at this route, but it wouldn’t solve my dip station problem. I was thinking about how to solve this today. I might just go with the cheap ($100+) tower for the time being.

DB

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
You can buy a removable one for $30 at most places, and the stationary ones are usually about the same.[/quote]

Hey Nate,

Where can you get the stationary ones for only $30?

Try Play-it-Again Sports or Champs.

I have a removable one with a variety of grips that I purchased from Champs. It’s one of the best chin-up bars I’ve used.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
My dad built a pullup bar many years ago, but he welded a steel bar to a rectangular steel plate on each end and suspended it from the floor joists in the basement. I am looking at this route, but it wouldn’t solve my dip station problem. DB[/quote]

DB -

I work out at home and I have a joist-mounted bar in my basesment. My setup is even simpler - I just screwed six 40-pound hooks into the joist and placed a steel bar in the hooks. It works fine, I bought a long bar so I can vary the grip width. It all cost me about $9 at Home Depot.

And for dips I just use chairs. I place them back to back and put weights in the seats to stabilize them. The thing I like about this is you’re not stuck with one grip, you can space the chairs differently and you can set 'em up to be parallel or turn them in like a V.