T Nation

Pull Push Split

I wanted to share with you guys my pull push split that I perfected over time and that I have had amazing results on so that you can judge for yourselves.

Basic overview of this split :

2 DAYS ON - 1 DAY OFF - 2 DAYS ON.

Push Day (overload process) - Chest/Shoulders/Tris
Pull Day (overload and volumization process)- Back/Traps/Bis
Legs Day - Quads/calves
rest
Upper Body Volumization - Chest or Back (depends on what you want to work on the most)/ Tris/ Bis

Push Day - Chest/Shoulders/Tris :

High Incline Bench Press 4 x 5-6 reps
Machine Flies 4 x 5-6 reps
Military Press 4 x 5-6 reps - supersetted with DB lat raises 10 reps and more
Tricep pushdowns 2 x 15-20 reps
Tricep kickbacks 7 x 6 reps - 30 seconds rest between sets

Tempo 3-0-1 - Max velocity concentric movement - you push the way as explosive as possible.
Rest 90-120 secs

14 working sets - 7 volumization sets.

Pull Day - Back/Traps/Bis

Lat Pulldowns or Pull-Ups - If Pull-Ups work up to 50 reps.
If Pulldowns - 4 x 8-12 reps
Bent-Over Rows - 4 x 6-8 reps
Chin-Ups - 4 x 6-8 reps
Hammer Curls - 2 x 15-20
Cable Curls - 7 x 6 reps - 30 seconds rest between sets

Rest 60-90 secs

14 working sets - 7 volumization sets.

Legs Day - Quads/Calves

Squats as deep as possible - 6-10 sets - Pyramid principle. Start with medium weight and work yourself up to 5-6 reps and so forth.
Leg Press - 3 x 12-15 reps
Leg curls 3 x 12-15 reps
Leg extensions 7 x 6 reps - 30 seconds rest between sets

Rest 60-90 sec.

Upper Body Volumization - Chest/Tris/Bis

Low-Incline Bench Press - 3 x 8-12 reps
Machine Flies - 3 x 8-12 reps
Chest Press Machine - 3 x 8-12 reps
Close-Grip Bench Press - 3 x 5-8 reps alternated or supersetted with Close-Grip Machine Curls
Triceps pulldown - 3 x 8-12 reps supersetted with Cable Curls.

Upper Body Volumization - Back/Tris/Bis

Seated Rows - 3 x 8-12 reps
Lat Pulldowns 3 x 8-12 reps
Delt Flies 3 x 8-12 reps
Close-Grip Bench Press - 3 x 5-8 reps alternated or supersetted with Close-Grip Machine Curls
Triceps pulldown - 3 x 8-12 reps supersetted with Cable Curls.

Rest 60 secs.

Basically, your body experiences two growth phases. The first two days focus on building strenght and work with high volume-low reps. The Upper Body Volumization day aids in recovery by flushing blood to the body parts worked and is meant to be done for the pump. You don’t care about the weight you are lifting, you just focus on your pump.

You can combine different groups in the Upper Body Volumization to work on what you want.

What’s amazing results?

FWIW, I like the split, maybe just not some of the selections like DB kickbacks.

I like it. I’d like to hear about your results. Pics?

Hey, I’m inetrested in changing to this split, Did you have a 4 or 5 days split before?, what are the changes that you saw after doing this routine (weight gain, etc)? thx

Hey, for the most part I like it. Just a few concerns:

Your rep range for some exercises is a bit counter intuitive; why the same amount of reps and rest for incline bench and machine press? I think that something like incline press, which is a heavy compound movement, is sufficiently different from something like machine flies, which is an isolation exercise usually done until fatigue sets in, to warrant different rep ranges between the two (more reps on flies, shorter rest time).

I’m doing a push/pull/legs split right now and I found this article to be really helpful in informing how I program my workouts: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_most_effective_way_to_build_muscle
I like the part where he differentiates b/w the different types of movements:
"Strength/Power Compound Movement: These are the movements in the 1-6 rep range, that when done effectively (ramping intensity followed by sufficient warm-ups) will recruit those high-threshold motor units discussed earlier.

Mid-Range Compound Movement: Something like a seated row, machine press, or hack squat in the 8-10 rep range that allows one to focus more on the muscles than the movement.

High-Rep Isolation Movement: Movements in the 12-20 rep range that let us use a much lighter load, but fatigue the muscle toward the end of the set. Leg extension, cable biceps curls, and pec-dec flyes are good choices here."
I programmed my work-out with this model and find that I have a good balance of strength and hypertrophy for my goals.