Pull:Push Ratios

I’m a police officer who holds strength & conditioning certs for my own benefit. I’m hoping to help our department soon (have to present myself to the brass).

If I could get my co-workers to agree to an absolute bare minimum training program it’d only have pulls. Pull ups, rows, reverse flys, face pulls, J Rope pulls (see Lee Boyce), Romanian dead lifts, and hip thrusts. I’d ask them to do at least one exercise from each plane plus some core work twice a week. Vertical pull, horizontal pull, hip hinge.

This would combat the effects of sitting in a car all day and wearing a duty belt. When I suit up for work I gain 30 lbs from the uniform and gear.

I wouldn’t program the mirror muscles (for a bare minimum program) because they’d be more likely to add those on their own.

Be careful of pull ups, as the lats internally rotate the shoulder. I counted it as a pull for a long time to try counter-balance my rounded shoulders computer posture, but they just make it worse. Obviously fine in a balanced program, but something to keep in mind.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Maybe I like those b/c I think my co-workers are weak and lazy and I think they should at least be able to move their own ass if necessary!