Public Posting Powerpoints

I teach at 2 colleges. I have taught at one about a year, I just started at the new one. I use some powerpoint lectures. To post them to the new colleges blackboard, I have to start an account with the new college using my employee ID number, then create another account to finally access the blackboard. Both colleges belong to a central hub of colleges, and so use the same employee ID number. But its like on e college sort of owns rights to it now, and needs to transfer it so the other college has access to it - anyway long story longer, I spent about 7 hours today trying to get it straightened out. All to post my lectures so my students have access. I will have to start again monday. I am sick of it.

Anyone know of a good site where I can just post up about 30 Powerpoint lectures (each one is bout 2-3 mb), so that my students could juyst log in and view the powerpoints?

tell students to take fucking notes.

how did people learn before powerpoint?

is this gonna be on the exam?

LOL OWNED

[quote]CBear84 wrote:

is this gonna be on the exam?[/quote]

Before Powerpoint, they use to write it on their shovels with coal, and before that they used papyrus. But they don’t do that anymore do they, turdtard?

As technology changes so does learning - so why don’t you get up to speed with the year 2009, cecumtard; get your head out of your ghey ass and let someone who actually knows something answer the question.

Do you also address ignorant students with “turdtard” and “ghey ass”? What kind of “university” is it you teach at?

BTW, as technology changes, people become lazier, to the point that all they do is cram slides the night before the exam and forget all of it afterwards, I can find a better use for 30,000$…

I wonder how many people bitching in this thread have actually seen the PowerPoint presentations the OP wishes to upload?

If none of you have (and thus, can’t comment on them with any real authority), do any of you realize that PowerPoint comes with a ‘handout’ feature that allows one to print 3 slides per page with horizontal lines to the right of each box?

This allows for - get this - note taking!

This is because PowerPoints are generally used as an accessory tool in lectures and presentations, which allows one to easily outline the broad strokes in a visual format while verbally presenting the fine print.

Oh, and you’d have to be a real idiot to blame PowerPoint for students memorizing material the night before an exam and forgetting it all afterwards… or are you blaming PowerPoint for procrastination and poor time management skills, too?

[quote]CBear84 wrote:

is this gonna be on the exam?[/quote]

Note taking in a lecture setting is a terrible way to impart information to a student. To summarize the above URL, lecturing is a pacify learning process by the students, and we learn better when we’re active in learning.

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:
Do you also address ignorant students with “turdtard” and “ghey ass”? What kind of “university” is it you teach at?

BTW, as technology changes, people become lazier, to the point that all they do is cram slides the night before the exam and forget all of it afterwards, I can find a better use for 30,000$…[/quote]

No I don’t. Like dress and attire, modes of communication vary as appropriate according to the situation and circumstances. Just like wearing a torn t-shirt to a black tie affair is innapropriate, so is addressing you as anything except “incestuous panty sniffer”.

[quote]anonym wrote:
I wonder how many people bitching in this thread have actually seen the PowerPoint presentations the OP wishes to upload?

If none of you have (and thus, can’t comment on them with any real authority), do any of you realize that PowerPoint comes with a ‘handout’ feature that allows one to print 3 slides per page with horizontal lines to the right of each box?

This allows for - get this - note taking!

This is because PowerPoints are generally used as an accessory tool in lectures and presentations, which allows one to easily outline the broad strokes in a visual format while verbally presenting the fine print.

Oh, and you’d have to be a real idiot to blame PowerPoint for students memorizing material the night before an exam and forgetting it all afterwards… or are you blaming PowerPoint for procrastination and poor time management skills, too?[/quote]

Good points.

I don’t lecture from the Powerpoints - they are supposed to read them on their own.

They have to take copious notes. Ex. one powerpoint explains the basics of homeostasis and negative and positive feedback.

My lecture however, which they had to take notes on covered : [Edited][

I read your link - the teacher appears to be a horrible lecturer, as he must not be developing class participation. As he points out himself, he promotes passive learning, and his students are not actively participating.

Department chairs at other schools allow my students who took my introductory A & P course to matriculate into advanced A & P for majors because they know they will enter the class owning the material they have learned . ex they can reason out whether any sign or symptom they exhibit is parasympathetic or sympathetic.

My test questions are not simple straight forward fill in the blank or A,B,C,D. Students have to reason through several levels before they can deduce the answer - my students are forced to think and I have a high level of participation in my classes.

My department chairs noted this when they evaluation me teaching class and are incorporating some of my ideas and techniques now into the standard learning process.

I agree with the author - standard lecturing is a poor source of “teaching”. I prefer a more Socratic method requiring students to deduce the answers themselves.

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:

BTW, as technology changes, people become lazier, to the point that all they do is cram slides the night before the exam and forget all of it afterwards, I can find a better use for 30,000$…[/quote]

This is s stupid argument - whether the information is in a book, a handout or a PP; there will be students who are lazy.

If I read between the lines; “I can find a better use for $30,000” actually means “I am too lazy to finish college”. Just because you are lazy, do not project that those around you are also too lazy to achieve a college degree.

my student opinion:

All this new technology learning is crap. It always comes up to spending lot of time trying to sort it out, it is not reliable, gotta register to get the information, lose the password, computer is slow, etc…I hate it.

The only valable variable for success is effort and time. Each years they are getting out some new textbooks with new shiny icons and color and a new methodology of learning and blablabla. It is only meant that way so the teachers who wrote it can make new money

lecturing gets the job done and always will.

I dream of a world where I would buy 5 blank notebook for my 5 classes along with 1 pen and a eraser. No 250$ shiny textbooks bill.
I would rather take notes with a book and a pen.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
my student opinion:

All this new technology learning is crap. It always comes up to spending lot of time trying to sort it out, it is not reliable, gotta register to get the information, lose the password, computer is slow, etc…I hate it.

The only valable variable for success is effort and time. Each years they are getting out some new textbooks with new shiny icons and color and a new methodology of learning and blablabla. It is only meant that way so the teachers who wrote it can make new money

lecturing gets the job done and always will.

I dream of a world where I would buy 5 blank notebook for my 5 classes along with 1 pen and a eraser. No 250$ shiny textbooks bill.
I would rather take notes with a book and a pen. [/quote]

LOL, a student who gets it!

About the textbooks though, they aren’t useless. A good textbook is certainly worth the investment. As you point out though, most (introductory) textbooks not only are terrible, but they are continually updated year in and year out for no other purpose than to make money for the textbook industry.

Take calculus for example. There have been no substantial changes in the sort of calculus taught in an undergraduate calculus series in the past 100 years. Further, there exist several classic texts on the subject such as Apostol that FAR exceed your average contemporary calc book in clarity, exposition, and depth.

Nevertheless, each year a few dozen new textbooks, or new editions, come out and universities “update” their book lists. Why exactly is some new book needed? I have no idea.

Funny enough, Dover reprints many classic texts in paperback for literally under $15. Much of my collection in math and logic come from Dover, and much of it was printed before 1970. Of course, books on current issues in model theory of many-valued logic can’t be gotten through Dover, but surely good books on basics like variational calculus, analysis or first-order logic can be.

Anyway, the situation of course is different in fields that have evolved more recently, like biology or psychology, but even in cases where anything but a modern introductory textbook would be out of date there is still no need for the sorts of abuses seen in the textbook industry.

[quote]Zack Nelson wrote:
CBear84 wrote:

Before Powerpoint, they use to write it on their shovels with coal, and before that they used papyrus. But they don’t do that anymore do they, turdtard?

As technology changes so does learning - so why don’t you get up to speed with the year 2009, cecumtard; get your head out of your ghey ass and let someone who actually knows something answer the question.
[/quote]

Very professional of you.

Anyway, learning doesn’t “change” as technology changes, what changes are the tools one has available to help facilitate learning. I would argue, and I believe CBear84 would agree, that those tool has diminishing returns.

Giving a student modern paper and modern pencils with which to take notes with has clear advantages over stone tablets, but exactly what advantages power point has over notes isn’t really clear. Sure, you can make arguments for and against it, but given the attitude you’ve displayed here I’d guess you only see the issue one way–yours.

Well for an actual response to the OP’s original question. You could make a small website and just have the powerpoints for each class you teach downloadable from there. That would probably cost a few bucks a month, unless you can find a free hosting service. Past that you could compress them all into a .zip file, then mass email that to your students at the beginning of each term.

On the subject of learning, I just payed about 800 dollars for this semesters books. And the books my college is switching too are absolute crap, they are usually written by a group of teachers in the school less then 200 pages and bound with those crappy plastic springs. Not to mention they are non-returnable.

I honestly miss the days of just mass handouts of everything; however, due to budget constraints no one does that anymore. I’d gladly bring a package of printer paper to each class.

poo.

[quote]
CBear84 wrote:

Zack Nelson wrote:

As technology changes so does learning - so why don’t you get up to speed with the year 2009, cecumtard; get your head out of your ghey ass and let someone who actually knows something answer the question.[/quote]

and

[quote]I don’t lecture from the Powerpoints - they are supposed to read them on their own.

They have to take copious notes. Ex. one powerpoint explains the basics of homeostasis and negative and positive feedback. [/quote]

I’m glad that your students have to take notes. As a student myself, I see all of the disadvantages that you dont. I’m sure that you have been a student before, and even taken a few classes where a power point lecture was involved.

however.

I see the Entitlement Epidemic leeching into the school system, even at the note taking level. Students expect the information they need to know on the test to be summarized into bullet points on a slide on a big screen in front of them, and they expect to have a copy of said slide on the desk in front of them.

They expect to get an even more condensed version of these power point packets in the form of a 1 page “study guide” a week before every exam.

Because the idea of buying and reading the book, picking out pertinent paragraphs and ideas, taking notes during class, and making your own study guide by cross referencing the two is an idea more horrifying than abortion.

I will not apologize I see it in different schools all across the country.

I’ll add that the students who do their own work always make better marks than the ones who rely on slides.

as technology changes so does teaching. we have more technology and more computers and more flashy pretty icons and more notes online and as a nation, we are DUMBER than we have been in DECADES!! I’m so glad you gave me the opportunity to point that out!

fucktard.

[quote]
stokedporcupine8 wrote:
Very professional of you.

Anyway, learning doesn’t “change” as technology changes, what changes are the tools one has available to help facilitate learning. I would argue, and I believe CBear84 would agree, that those tool has diminishing returns. [/quote]

yep i agree but i like my angry version better.

fuckem. give em stone tablets. they’d get a workout, or at least increase their NEPA, while learning. win win.

[quote]Tyrant wrote:
Well for an actual response to the OP’s original question. You could make a small website and just have the powerpoints for each class you teach downloadable from there. That would probably cost a few bucks a month, unless you can find a free hosting service. Past that you could compress them all into a .zip file, then mass email that to your students at the beginning of each term.

[/quote]

I was going to say this, but the OP seemed to imply that he wanted something free. Whether or not there’s some neat and free hosting service he could use to put notes on, I don’t know.

I second the get your own website idea, for what it’s worth. I’ve had a few profs that have their own aites and update them with notes and whatnot.

[quote]CBear84 wrote:

stuff
[/quote]

I’d blow more hot air, but this thread is dead.