Public perception: Why the War?

Look, I don’t know what everyone else remembers, but I remember the months leading up to the war in Iraq this way:

#1 Sadaam refuses to follow his treaty with the U.S. by not allowing inspections.

#2 Bush says, you better follow your treaty or its void and we go back in and put you in a position where you would have been in '91 if we hadn’t made a treaty.

#3 Sadaam says OK come on. Then quickly goes back to #1 above and the cycle repeats at least 2 more times.

All this time, I’m thinking-he’s forcing us into war! Now, could we have given him 2-3 more chances? maybe. Was it the UN’s buisiness? No! The UN was chosen as the inspecting body for the treaty, but they violated their treaty with us.

As for

1. Weopons of mass destruction, I have heard multiple audio clips on the radio of Clinton stating that Sadaam’s weopons of mass destruction program was a big threat to the US. I can’t find anyone using that term before Clinton so I have to assume it originated with him.

2. I never thought Iraq had anything to do with 9-11. I would be interested and receptive to dated quotes from Bush linking 9-11 to Iraq.

I just think its a good idea to right down what we remember and to check it from time to time. Is my memory off here?

Mert, it is already too late. You should have wrote down your perceptions when the war started. Now we are simply going to get revisionism based on the current situation (this isn’t an insult, it is truly human nature).

mertdawg:

You got it spot on!

Hmmm, that’s funny. What I remember was: Yellow cake!!! Aluminum tubes!!! They’ll greet us with flowers!!! Whole thing will be over in 6 weeks!!!
Muhumad Mahmud Ahmad was in AlQuadi and Iraq!!! WMD! WMD! WMD! WMD! WMD! Neverending war on terrorism!!! Osama who?

[quote]Jay Sherman wrote:
Hmmm, that’s funny. What I remember was: Yellow cake!!! Aluminum tubes!!! They’ll greet us with flowers!!! Whole thing will be over in 6 weeks!!!
Muhumad Mahmud Ahmad was in AlQuadi and Iraq!!! WMD! WMD! WMD! WMD! WMD! Neverending war on terrorism!!! Osama who?[/quote]

Well, I remember that too, about two weeks later when we were going in, but I never heard any of those things up to at least the third time Sadaam refused to follow the treaty.

Jay Sherman wrote:

“Whole thing will be over in 6 weeks!!!”

Anyone else remember anything remotely resembling this?

I don’t.

Thanks for playing!!!

Did you contribute to Kerry’s campaign?

I hope so.

JeffR