PTSD Awareness For Trainers

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is an important topic to me and I wanted to share what I was reading. This is an awesome read if you are a trainer for someone attempting to cope with the symptoms. The article really hits home for me and I believe has a lot of truth to it.

1 Like

Not sure I agree that calming down is that great. The mental/physical excitement (by which I mean an “accelerated state,” not that one is “excited” just gets suppressed.

I had some difficulties and would do sprint work, long farmer carries, or things like 10 sets of 10 of 225lb squats, mixing in dumbbell bench, sled, or overhead press. Had to burn out the adrenaline and make my mind and body tired.

Also booze/pot and really bad choices with women to create drama that was not the same drama one is dwelling on is rather useful, although more risky.

2 Likes

I understand not everyone who deals with this is the same. It does hit home for me because I have had many issues working with my trainer. when I am going through an “rough time” breathing and being comfortable helps a lot. The only thing I might not like is the asking questions part because I don’t usually like to talk. I do my best to remember what my therapist tells me and to try not to take it out on anyone. I am far from good in dealing with it… one of the many things I can’t do is go into a crowded gym. What you say about burning off the adrenaline to make yourself tired is also relatable. I think that’s why starting to lift weights has helped out a lot… not that I sleep better but I’m busy and not thinking about things.

Tounge in cheek- Once I quit self medicating and started lifting I did feel a lot better, but then a whole swarm of inner demons began to emerge. Now I’m just a neurotic perfectionist that is afraid of everything. But man, It was fun while it lasted!

1 Like

@SkyzykS WOW!! That’s so crazy that you say your a neurotic perfectionist because I am too. People give me a hard time about it and I’m embarrassed because I know I wasn’t that way before.

I know this sucks to talk about and that’s why few people who know me know about this. They notice I avoid things I enjoyed before the military and I can’t tell you the last time I laughed really hard. I appreciate what you both shared and hope working out keeps it a little under control because I am running out of options.

The root of something like that can be highly individual. Mine stems from a series of very messy and complicated situations, likely beginning just shortly after birth. The sum of it is that I WAY overcompensate for feeling like a broken loser.

I can’t speak for anybody but myself, but a therapist that specializes in these types of things might be really helpful. It definitely helped me. In fact, I might be about due for a tune up. I can be absolutely infuriating sometimes.

These types of things can be chronic, but don’t have to be terminal.

1 Like

I train first thing in the morning and it helps “shed” everything off me so I can usually function just fine throughout the rest of the day and actually be in a good mood. It is the goddamn night time when I am trying to sleep and everything is quiet that is the worse for me.

1 Like

My therapist at the VA is freakin amazing! I just hate not being able to get in for an appointment when I need it. I also agree the nights are a bitch and I haven’t found anything to help with it. I can’t take sleep aids because I would be even more exhausted the next day. I try to make myself extremely tired and hope that helps. I workout after work to let out the stress and hope it helps my mind for the evening.