PT Test Training Help

I have a PT test coming up. The initial test is the first week of August and the second test is in December. The second test is graded. To pass the test, I need to complete the following (min):

a) 16+ pull ups
b) 81+ push ups
c) 81+ sit ups (in 2 minutes)
d) 3 mile run in under 24 minutes
e) Bench press at 121% of body weight.
f) Seated shoulder press at 81% of body weight.
g) Squat at 141% of bodyweight

I am a 24-year old, 5’7", 140 lbs female. I used to train quite often, but fell off for a bit. I have picked it back up over the last three months and did Stronglifts 5x5 until my knees weren’t happy with the running and squatting volume. I have been focusing mostly on strength, but I am a little perplexed how to train for this, since it seems like three separate goals: strength, endurance strength and endurance. Currently, I am testing at:

a) 7 pull ups
b) 28 push ups
c) 92 sit ups
d) 3 miles in 28 minutes
e) 130 lbs 1RM
f) 100 lbs 1RM
g) 200 lbs 1RM

My weak points are generally my knees and shins. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What kind of a test is this specifically? I ask because I do not think I know one female athlete who could accomplish all of those things. Especially if the pullups, pushups, squat, millie, and bench are legitimate ROM.

Kudos for giving it a try.

What is this test for???
I agree with snap. I don’t think I know any women that could accomplish all of those feats.

_Queen

It is for a fire academy test. The men and the women are both tested the same on body weight and running. Lifting is percentage of body weight for everyone.

Try to lose weight. Even if you are lean right now, when everything is a percentage of body weight, everything is easier the smaller you are. Of course, that only helps pass the test, it doesn’t actually make you better at many real world tasks since other stuff doesn’t magically get lighter because you lost weight. That’s the general weakness of bodyweight standards in general. It does make running and climbing easier, though.

Has any woman ever passed this test? This is surely just some station wide test I assume? There’s no way this could be some kind of nationally regulated test.

You’re fine on squat and pullups. You will definitely be able to reach those goals for the 3 mile run and pullups. You may potentially be able to get the overhead strength in time as well.

The pushups and bench look completely insane though for a lady. I mean even if you lost 20lbs you’d still be 15lbs short on your bench, and you’d probably get 15lbs weaker on it from losing weight so it’s a wash. I’m not saying you can’t get a 170lb bench, I’m just saying it could potentially take literally years.

This test seems completely unreasonable for females.

I don’t know about other fire departments, but a northern California police department test was all of the above and I have to get over a 6ft. wall. I “assumed” I would not have a problem with wall, but it was the last obstacle in the test and for the life of my 6’2" self, I could not get over that darn wall!!

I would get with a physical therapist and see if he/she could recommend braces to wear while do the test and getting ready to do the test. There are shin and knee braces that will support you while you are doing these exercises. Should they be a problem during the test, they will not show under a loose pair of sweats.

Something I probably don’t have to tell you, as a female, you need to ace -both- tests. Continue working out, running and do the best you can possibly do. You may need to rescue me in a house fire one of these days, I want you strong enough to do it.

With all of that squatting and running, I’d just be making sure your form is flawless if you haven’t already. ATG - or at the very least make sure you’re breaking parallel - on every squat rep, and no toe-striking when you’re running, cause that’ll mess up your knees in a heartbeat with as much as you’re training. Other than that, make sure you’re getting enough rest and a knee brace or something wouldn’t be a bad idea.

But on a side note, holy shit.

[quote]stall wrote:
I have a PT test coming up. The initial test is the first week of August and the second test is in December. The second test is graded. To pass the test, I need to complete the following (min):

a) 16+ pull ups
b) 81+ push ups
c) 81+ sit ups (in 2 minutes)
d) 3 mile run in under 24 minutes
e) Bench press at 121% of body weight.
f) Seated shoulder press at 81% of body weight.
g) Squat at 141% of bodyweight

I am a 24-year old, 5’7", 140 lbs female. I used to train quite often, but fell off for a bit. I have picked it back up over the last three months and did Stronglifts 5x5 until my knees weren’t happy with the running and squatting volume. I have been focusing mostly on strength, but I am a little perplexed how to train for this, since it seems like three separate goals: strength, endurance strength and endurance. Currently, I am testing at:

a) 7 pull ups
b) 28 push ups
c) 92 sit ups
d) 3 miles in 28 minutes
e) 130 lbs 1RM
f) 100 lbs 1RM
g) 200 lbs 1RM

My weak points are generally my knees and shins. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks![/quote]

You can do these things, it just takes consistency and training. I agree that if you lower your body fat will make you run faster, do more pull-ups, etc… but its not a deal breaker. I’m 154lbs and can do 12+ pull-ups. Pull-ups is simply muscle memory. Train to get in as many reps as you can a day. Everytime you see a pull-up bar, knock some out. That’s how I built up my rep scheme. If you message me I can send you some workouts to increase your numbers and references I’ve used.

[quote]stall wrote:
It is for a fire academy test. The men and the women are both tested the same on body weight and running. Lifting is percentage of body weight for everyone.[/quote]

I am a former police academy trainer and a current federal agent, specializing in training foreign police/ military. I have never seen or heard of a physical test, like the one you posted.( for civilians) I am amazed this has not been challenged in court, especially the pullups, squat, and bench. Has any woman been hired at that FD? just curious.