Psycs Journey of the Beginner

First I will post my stats and measurments. i am very lean on a semi-tall frame. I have half-assed my way through training since i was 16 going to the gym off and on, more off then on. My diet is not the best to any degree but i do have a surplus in my kcals. The only thing i really have right is my post workout shake.

Name: Jonathan
Aka: Psycorpse or Psycs
Height: 6’ 2"
Weight: 155 lbs.
Bodyfat: 10-12%

Neck: 14.5"
Shoulders: 44"
Biceps: 13"
Chest: 39.5"
Forearms: 11"
Stomach: 32.5"
Waist: 33"
Wrist: 7.5"
Upper Thigh: 22"
Lower Thigh: 17.5"
Calf: 14"
Ankle: 9.5"

I had been out of the gym for close to six months before 3 weeks ago, when i say that i mean consistantly, i would go maybe once a week if that. Well 3 weeks ago i started to up the frequency and did very basic things to ready my body for a through thrashing that is scheduled for a week or 2 from now. For the next 2 weeks or 3 weeks i am going to do a program known as ‘Upside Down Training’.

‘Upside Down Training’ is basically changing up the order of exercises so that you train small muscle groups before the larger. Now I know this sounds rediculous because you wont be able to handle heavier loads when it comes time for the larger muscle groups, but this program is more for personal evaluation of fitness level and to idenify the weak or problem areas, by useing light weights and never really fatiguing any muscle group (at least for the first part of the evaluation). This program also comes with a thourough stretching routine that is recommended before or after every workout or every day your out of the gym.

Upside Down Training Day 1 - Lower Body

5-10 Minutes Cardio and Stretching Routine
Light Weights and Slow Tempo
'‘1:’'2:60 Second Rest; Repeat

A1 Standing Calf Raise 3x15 at 115 lbs.
A2 Tibia Raise 3x15 at 15 lbs.

B1 Standing Hamstring Curl 2x15 at 25 lbs.
B2 Single Leg Extensions 2x15 at 25 lbs. (uncontrolable leg vibration on almost all reps)

C1 Hip Extension 2x20 at BW
C2 Single Leg Box Step 2x20 at BW (Right Knee had a sharp pain at one point but faded)

D1 Hip Abduction 2x15 at 50 lbs.
D2 Hip Adduction 2x15 at 50 lbs.

E1 Back Extension 2x15 at BW
E2 Single Leg RDL with DB 2x15 at 10 lbs. (I have no idea how to perform this correctly)

F1 DB Split Squat 2x8 at 20 lbs.
F2 Deadlift 2x8 at 60 lbs. (I was thouroughly wiped out by this point almost didnt finish)

I have never done super sets with out rest between the exercises if only very little but none kick my ass. This shows how outa shape i really am and that i have a few problems with my right knee(idk how, i have had problems with it before i started lifting), and i have a very vigorous vibration in my legs on the single leg extensions, idk what the problem is or even if its bad which i suspect it may be.

Just recieved an order of ‘Surge Workout Fuel’,‘Surge Recovery’, and ‘Spike Extreme Energy’. Going to use the first serving of Spike before todays workout and the first serving of Surge Recovery after it. I am saving the Workout Fuel for more intense workouts.

I will also be making an amateur review for Spike Extreme Energy. For my first observation these pills are huge in my book at close to an inch in length and close to half an inch in width these will be the largest pills i have ever swallowed. On a second observation they smell distinctly like vitamin and mineral pills not a pleasent smell but it gives a sense of authenticity, not just some hyped up caffeine.

Upside Down Training Day 2 - Shoulder Stability and Body Weight Conditioning

Body Weight and Resistance Bands
Continuous Sets no rest between exercises

Shoulder Stability Routine

Shoulder Retractions 2x15 with Resistance Bands
Reverse Flyes 2x15 with Resistance Bands
External Rotations 2x15 with Resistance Bands
Diagonal External Rotations 2x15 with Resistance Bands
Prone Dumbbell Reverse Flyes 2x15 with 15 lbs.
2 Minutes Rest Between Sets

Bodyweight Conditioning

20 Seconds of Continuous Reps
1-2 Sets (I did 1 set i am working up to 2)

Push-ups - Reps 17
Mountain Climbers - Reps 18
Burpees(*) - Reps 8
Knee High Drill - Reps 12
Bodyweight Squats - Reps 11
Close-Grip Chin-ups - Reps 8
Bench Dips - Reps 16
Alternating Split Squat Jumps - Reps 18
Single Leg Hip Extension - Reps 18
Bodyweight Reverse Lunge - Reps 12
Standard Plank Single Leg Raises - Reps 10
Side Mount Plank Oblique Leg Raises - Reps 10

(*) During the first rep of the Burpees I had a very intense sharp pain in my right knee which landed me on the floor for a good minute crying out in pain. But through my stubborn stupid drive to complete this workout I found an old knee brace and started over on the Burpees and completed my workout. It was stupid but I did it anyway.

Now for my evaluation of Spike Extreme Energy. I found that I didnt really feel any high or jitters from this pill like with other energy supplements. But as I progressed through my continuous sets I found the only thing really slowing me down was my heavy breathing and not a lack of energy. I found this very relieving and at the end and as i am writing this i am still very envigorated.

I ordered the Chocolate Flavor Surge Recovery. I found it very light on the stomach and quite flavor filled. My only problems with it are the liquids thickness to the rich flavor are off ratio, it was so light cause I mixed it with water. I think I will mix it with milk next time to see if I enjoy it better.

It also had this bitter taste right when the liquid touched my tongue and it continued till the mid back of my tongue, dispite that i found it quite enjoyable for the after taste always ligered instead of the bitterness. Next time I order I will go after the Original flavor instead of Chocolate to see which i would prefer more.

I am completely envigorated at the moment, I do not feel draind like I usually do after my workouts, which i am usually unstable and irritable afterwards.

Well the down fall of taking any kind of energy supplement based off stimulants would be insomnia which i have bad right now lookin at 3:24 on my clock right now with out a single yawn or thought of sleep. I need to take the Spike earlier in the day and probably start my workouts earlier as well.

Today was a scheduled off day so I took no supplements besides some low class protein powder I found at a drup store. I also pulled out my old P90X dvds and put in the X Stretch routine and followed it to the letter. To complete a single cycle of P90X is one of my short term goals.

The 18th should have been a upper body day in the Upside Down Training but as my gym closes early on saturdays and sundays i was left high and dry after work, so i just went home and did a few pull up sets both close grip and wide. didnt really keep track cause i was bummed cause the gym was closed. On a serious note i did do the ‘Ab Ripper X’ from the P90X series, its quite thourough in its ability to reach all sections of the abdominals.

The 19th i again found myself out of luck at the gym for it closing early. So being an idiot i perform the Ab routine for the Upside Down Training. Now granted both ‘Ab Ripper X’ and the UDT ab routines are very leg and hip flexor oriented, they utterly destroyed my hips.

The 20th I can barley move due to joint pain in my hips not just muscular pain. i am now thinking about forking over 15 dollars for a bottle of ‘Curcumin 500’ for the joint and muscular pain relief i hear it provides, straight up overdose of tylenol does nothing. Was lucky that was my day off, i dont know what would have happened if i had to stand stationary for hours on end with this kinda pain.

Upside Down Training - Day 4 - Upper Body

Shoulder Stability (before as a warm-up), did this yesturday so skipped it today
60 Seconds between Supersets

A1:A2
Barbell Shrug 2x20 at 60 lbs.
Dumbbell Shrug 2x20 at 20 lbs.

B1:B2
Seated Barbell Wrist Curls 2x20 at 30 lbs.
Seated Reverse Barbell Wrist Curls 2x10 at 30 lbs. (should have been 20 reps but i broke my left wrist a year ago(i have a screw in it) and couldnt continue for higher reps)

C1:C2
Supinated Incline Dumbbell Curls 2x15 at 15 lbs. (forearms hadnt recovered so couldnt curl any higher weight)
Reverse Barbell Curls 2x10 at 30 lbs. (again my grip gave out before i could continue)

D1:D2
Supine Close Grip Bench Press 2x15 at 40 lbs.
Tricep Pressdown 2x15 at 40 lbs.

E1:E2
Lying Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raise 2x15 at 15 lbs.
Plate Lateral Raise 2x15 at 10 lbs. plates (at one point my forearms went totally numb and went cold only lasted for the rest period)

F1:F2
Close Grip Pulldown 2x12 at 105 lbs. (grip really started to fail me here)
Dumbbell Pullover 2x15 at 25 lbs.

G1:G2
Incline Dumbbell Chest Press 2x15 at 20 lbs.
Dumbbell Flye 2x15 at 15 lbs. (grip utterly failed on last set, almost couldnt rack the 15’s cause my hands wouldnt work, thats just sad)

I again took the Spike energy tab and again i am very pleased with the way i felt and didnt feel while taking it, only thing slowing me down was muscular failure not actual physical exhaustion. I am still kinda mellowed out on it.

I also took my Surge Recovery with milk this time, it was exactly like Nestle Chocolate Nesquik in taste, mixability, and texture. My only fault and that was my error not the products was i added the milk on top of the powder and my blender bottle couldnt dislodge a good portion of the powder on the bottom, i just took a spoon to it then it mixed great.

After this workout i am sure that my gripping strength will skyrocket and maybe add some mass to my skinny forearms. My gripping strength has always been one of my short falls to heavier lifting, so i see this as a good foundation to really jump start my forearm development, and aide in my journey to heavier lifts.

I don’t mean to piss on your parade, man, but reading your log makes it seem like everything is a weak and/or problem area. I mean, you shouldn’t need to run any complex evaluations to know that as an average person weighing 155 at 6’2" you’re probably weak all around. And if you don’t really fatigue your muscles, how would you expect them to grow?

I don’t know how committed you are to this program, but it would seem that doing 26 different exercises would make it harder for you to get better at any of them. Why not just hammer a few big lifts until you’re putting up decent numbers, and then add in other stuff (like grip work) when you actually need it?

i am mainly using this as a pre-program, it was never really built to be long lasting or extensive in nature. even the author of the program says to not use longer then 4-6 weeks. i have injured myself in the past just jumping in to other programs so i want it to more gradual then couch potatoe to gym rat. i never intended this to ever pack on pounds or even build muscle, i see it as muscular conditioning for heavier loads later. i knew this would cause controversy to some, what it really boils down to is not leaping before i can walk.

I do appreciate your concern for my well being and progress and if you see further fault in my progress in a few months from now i would again like to hear from you. i am begining to like this forum more and more because we watch each others back.

Upside Down Training - Day 5 - Rest day

5-10 Minutes Cardio
Optional: Full Body Stretching and Ab Routine

Upside Down Training - Day 6 - Shoulder Satability and Body Weight Conditioning

5-10 Minutes Cardio
Body Weight and Resistance Bands
Continuous Sets no rest between exercises

Forgot to do shoulder stability(wish i hadnt)

Body Weight Conditioning

20 seconds of continuous reps
1-2 minutes between sets
1-2 sets (1st set reps):(2nd set reps)

Pushups - 20:20
Mountain Climbers - 24:23
Burpees - 8:0 (left shoulder had bad joint pain so couldnt perform second set of Burpees)
Knee High Drill - 15:13
Bodyweight Squats - 14:13
Close-grip Chin-ups - 8:10
Bench Dip - 13:13
Alternating Split Squat Jump - 17:14
Single Hip Extension - 17/17:17/17
Reverse Lunges - 8/8:7/7
Oblique Abductor Raise - 15/15:15/15

This workout included lots of breathing and tons of sweat it felt good to be done. took no supplements other then regular protein. may have to seek medical observation of my left shoulder it has this same joint piercing pain as when i do bench press, one can hope it can be fixed and is no major thing.

Upside Down Training - Day 7 - Rest Day

Upside Down Training - Day 8 - Lower Body

A1 Seated Calf Raise 3x15 at 70 lbs.
A2 Standing Calf Raise 3x15 at 135 lbs.
A3 Tibia Raise 3x15 at 15 lbs.

B1 Standing Hamstring Curl 2x15 at 35 lbs.
B2 Single Leg Extensions 2x15 at 25 lbs. (a little less leg shaking this time)

C1 Hip Extension 2x20 at BW
C2 Single Leg Box Step 2x20 at BW (no knee pain)

D1 Hip Abduction 2x15 at 60 lbs.
D2 Hip Adduction 2x15 at 60 lbs.

E1 Back Extension 2x15 at BW

F1 DB Split Squat 2x10 at 20 lbs.
F2 Deadlift 2x10 at 60 lbs. (I was thouroughly wiped out by this point almost didnt finish)

Ok well i decided to take my Surge Recovery with my Spike tab pre-workout, i may at one point start the Pre-Workout Insulin Spike Protocol at some point, i guess this would be a good start. scratch mixing SR with milk, way to frothy and foamy. Had very little pain in my knees for the second time through this, that was good i hope it stays that way.

Upside Down Training - Day 10 - Upper Body

Shoulder Stability (before as a warm-up)
60 Seconds between Supersets

A1:A2
Barbell Shrug 2x20 at 60 lbs.
Dumbbell Shrug 2x20 at 30 lbs.

B1:B2
Seated Barbell Wrist Curls 2x20 at 30 lbs.
Seated Reverse Barbell Wrist Curls 2x10 at 30 lbs. (didnt hurt as much as last time)

C1:C2
Supinated Incline Dumbbell Curls 2x15 at 15 lbs.
Reverse Barbell Curls 2x10 at 30 lbs.

D1:D2
Supine Close Grip Bench Press 1x15 at 40 lbs, 1x15 at 50 lbs.
Tricep Pressdown 2x15 at 40 lbs.

E1:E2
Lying Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raise 2x15 at 15 lbs.
Plate Lateral Raise 2x15 at 15 lbs.

F1:F2
Close Grip Pulldown 2x15 at 90 lbs. (grip really started to fail me here)
Dumbbell Pullover 2x15 at 25 lbs.

G1:G2
Incline Dumbbell Chest Press 2x15 at 25 lbs.
Dumbbell Flye 2x15 at 20 lbs.

Wasnt as tired out as last time, this is a good sign that my conditioning and endurance are increasing. 1 more cycle and i will continue with another program.