T Nation

Psychology of Feeling Small While Losing Fat

wHat is the consensus of the mind-st of most of you here on this forum about your mindset about feeling and “looking” smaller while getting leaner I seem to have a big problem with this feeling and wind up sabotaging my plans to feel that tight shirt feeling

Mark

It’s sad.

People who truly believe they are “losing the gaiiynz” when dieting are actually just realizing that they’re not as damn big as they thought they were when they were putting on excess fat for no benefit other than ego stroking.

If nothing else, it’s a good reality check.

This is the BODYBUILDING forum.

No one cares how much cheese you can grate on your hawt abs if people can’t tell that you lift weights seriously when you wear a spacesuit in the middle of a midnight nor’easter. Under a flickering street light. Uphill both ways.

Bitches might SAY they like them hawt abs, but unless you cut your shirts off at the nipples, who gives a fuck? Once you get in a position to take your shirt off around them, it’s pretty much “game over” anyhow. I mean, it’s not like they can tell how lean you are by looking at your arms, jawline, or belly bulge (which is only there 'cause you eat so much FOOD to fuel your 230+ lbs of LBM). Realistically, bitches only care about basic body shape… which I think means that if you are basically shaped like a human body, you are g2g.

Nothing – and I mean NOTHING – is a BIGGER turn off to both bros AND bitches than that shift from admiring your hawt abs and veiny biceps to noticing that lonely ‘L’ (or even ‘M’) sitting on your shirt tag… anything UNDER XL pretty much screams “I’m average”, and I don’t know about you but I don’t EVER wanna be that way. I live my life one protein shake at a time, and that means there’s NO POINT to cutting if you aren’t gonna still be turning heads – and stretching shirt sleeves – at the end of it.

[quote]anonym wrote:
Nothing – and I mean NOTHING – is a BIGGER turn off to both bros AND bitches than that shift from admiring your hawt abs and veiny biceps to noticing that lonely ‘L’ (or even ‘M’) sitting on your shirt tag… anything UNDER XL pretty much screams “I’m average”, and I don’t know about you but I don’t EVER wanna be that way. I live my life one protein shake at a time, and that means there’s NO POINT to cutting if you aren’t gonna still be turning heads – and stretching shirt sleeves – at the end of it.[/quote]

Brilliant.

[quote]marktb wrote:
wHat is the consensus of the mind-st of most of you here on this forum about your mindset about feeling and “looking” smaller while getting leaner I seem to have a big problem with this feeling and wind up sabotaging my plans to feel that tight shirt feeling

Mark [/quote]

Photos taken in general lighting are really helpful, especially if those photos are taken by someone who is not you in keeping one in a reality check about how much fat one is actually carrying and what levels they are comfortable with. One can trick themselves relying on only the mirror and good lighting. It also depends on how your body carries fat, my friend carries body fat much better than I do even though he’s at a higher body fat percentage.

I guess for some at a certain level of body fat; they feel like they are losing size when they are leaning down because they are not near the point of leanness where getting leaner starts to be more visibly significant and I guess this is more true for those who carry their body fat proportionately. Pictures tracking leaning down progress can also be helpful as one may not notice the day to day changes in the mirror.

Edited.

If you have a realistic sense of how much water weight/bloat and fat you’re really carrying, there shouldn’t be any problem.

[quote]anonym wrote:

Nothing – and I mean NOTHING – is a BIGGER turn off to both bros AND bitches than that shift from admiring your hawt abs and veiny biceps to noticing that lonely ‘L’ (or even ‘M’) sitting on your shirt tag… anything UNDER XL pretty much screams “I’m average”, and I don’t know about you but I don’t EVER wanna be that way.[/quote]

Ouch

[quote]sexyxe wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

Nothing – and I mean NOTHING – is a BIGGER turn off to both bros AND bitches than that shift from admiring your hawt abs and veiny biceps to noticing that lonely ‘L’ (or even ‘M’) sitting on your shirt tag… anything UNDER XL pretty much screams “I’m average”, and I don’t know about you but I don’t EVER wanna be that way.[/quote]

Ouch[/quote]

Yeah, I dunno guys XL is average these days :wink:

Everyone seems to be speaking from their own perspective as usual.

As for the question, it’s the same mindset as small guys that are worried about putting on some fat when trying to get bigger. You just got to push through it and realize to get where you want to be you’re going to have to go to battle not only physically but mentally.

[quote]anonym wrote:
This is the BODYBUILDING forum.

Nothing – and I mean NOTHING – is a BIGGER turn off to both bros AND bitches than that shift from admiring your hawt abs and veiny biceps to noticing that lonely ‘L’ (or even ‘M’) sitting on your shirt tag… anything UNDER XL pretty much screams “I’m average”, and I don’t know about you but I don’t EVER wanna be that way. I live my life one protein shake at a time, and that means there’s NO POINT to cutting if you aren’t gonna still be turning heads – and stretching shirt sleeves – at the end of it.[/quote]

I LOLED so hard at “I live my life one protein shake at a time.”

I agree with everything Anonym mentioned… I have always been TOO lean so I am on the opposite end of the scale. If your gonna cut just do it and suck up your pride if you find out you had less muscle then you thought… Leaning out the correct way their should not be much muscle loss at all anyways.

lol @ one protein shake at a time . but take a 600 pound obese guy who is just waiting to die, this guy can fill out xxxxxl shirts with 25" arms making coleman look like a twig.

yea, you have to get some mass on you to grow, but we are just getting back to the previous thread.

YOU DONT HAVE TO BE A FAT GUY THAT LIFTS WEIGHTS TO GET BIG, THERE IS NO REASON WHY ANYONE TRAINING FOR SIZE should EVER GO ABOVE 15-16% BODY FAT.

just cut weight, ye that stage when you dont see any difference in the mirror yet you feel small and like shit is hard. but there is a lot of shit going on in your body. stick with it, once you pass that phase you will look better and better every day.

also, no noe should lose strength during a cut, unless you are going down sub 10% things could get tricky.

i’d rather look really good on L-XL shirts than a fat piece of crap filling out xxl shirts with burger arms, and im all for real bulks to the point where i lose all my abs. but there is a limit. this is bodybuilding not fat building

the core of the problem is natural BB’s over eating and gaining weight thinking they are on 1 gram of test a week. then ,when its time to cut… newsflash, the physiology of the non AAS enhanced body comes pounding their heads. they didnt gain all that shitload amount of muscle , it was just fat.

[quote]anonym wrote:

Now this makes me demand for a leg picture from you because what you said makes me think you only work on glamour muscles.

[quote]dollytan86 wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

Now this makes me demand for a leg picture from you because what you said makes me think you only work on glamour muscles.[/quote]

holy fuck…

[quote]Rush88 wrote:

[quote]dollytan86 wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

Now this makes me demand for a leg picture from you because what you said makes me think you only work on glamour muscles.[/quote]

holy fuck…[/quote]

leg mass is counter productive for him ,as he needs to keep his weight down so his boyfriend can lift him up for intercourse

You feel small?

Lemme tell you about feeling small…

i think that girl has bigger quads than him in the picture!

[quote]dollytan86 wrote:

Wow ! Is it a fake ?

Looks like it is jason statham’s face :slight_smile:

Mathieu

These responses are a little odd for a forum like this. I don’t know one really big guy (as in big enough for people to ask if they compete in bodybuilding or pro sports) who ISN’T worried about losing muscle when dieting. That is the entire reason most continue training the way they do in spite of lesser calories (and often less energy) during dieting.

This definitely does NOT mean that everyone who thinks like this just isn’t as big as they thought they were.

The bottom line is, most of the really big guys you see are “gym rats”…which means they are just a little crazy to begin with.

Most of the people who NEVER think like this usually aren’t that big in the first place.

[quote]hanban wrote:

YOU DONT HAVE TO BE A FAT GUY THAT LIFTS WEIGHTS TO GET BIG, THERE IS NO REASON WHY ANYONE TRAINING FOR SIZE should EVER GO ABOVE 15-16% BODY FAT.
[/quote]

Just a heads up…your body couldn’t care less whether you were exactly "15% or exactly “17%”.

If a trainer is gaining a lot of muscle mass and their body is really responding to training, they would have to be a little off to think they should start dieting simply because they get read at “17%” body fat regardless of how they look or their gains.