Psoriatic Arthritis and Lifting

Hello all!
I thought this might be the correct place for a post since I saw a guy ask about training with RA.

So quick background info:
Im 25 years old (but physical age might be 40), 74 kg and 170 cm. I got my diagnos of Psoriatic Arthritis in august of this year. I have alot of problems with my fingers, hips, knees and chest. I am taking cortisone (prednisol 5 mg), anti inflammitory (arcoxia 120 mg), calcium (calichew 500 mg), pain killers (nobligan 50 mg), and omeprezol arrow (for my stomach) and I take fishoil pills.

So my question is does anybody here have PA and how do you workout, or something like RA?

Any advice about diet, medicine, training etc. would be very grateful :slight_smile:

After I read this article I think it would be best for you to see a sports medicine doctor who specializes in can do rather than can’t do. I also think a conditioning type sport would work the best for you. With my arthritis that is what I did and I feel better than I have in long time.
Osteoarthritis - OA -Center: Symptoms, Treatments, Causes, Remedies for Pain, and Tests

I was diagnosed with PA 3 years ago by a rheumatologist. This was after being misdiagonosed with tendonitis 2 years earlier by a general practitioner. I was prescribed Enbrel right off the bat by my rheumatoligist and have been pain free ever since. I have zero limitations with training of any kind. The only down side is knowing I will be on it for life or until something better comes along.

Did your symptoms appear quickly (over days or a weeks) or slower over months or so of time?

[quote]wiiwii wrote:
Hello all!
I thought this might be the correct place for a post since I saw a guy ask about training with RA.

So quick background info:
Im 25 years old (but physical age might be 40), 74 kg and 170 cm. I got my diagnos of Psoriatic Arthritis in august of this year. I have alot of problems with my fingers, hips, knees and chest. I am taking cortisone (prednisol 5 mg), anti inflammitory (arcoxia 120 mg), calcium (calichew 500 mg), pain killers (nobligan 50 mg), and omeprezol arrow (for my stomach) and I take fishoil pills.

So my question is does anybody here have PA and how do you workout, or something like RA?

Any advice about diet, medicine, training etc. would be very grateful :slight_smile:

[/quote]

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Thank you all for you replies!

JRT6: You have a very valid point, but I can’t do any conditioning type sports exept for swimming. I might try that but it’s no fun and I want too push iron :frowning:

Fed4life: I am glad that your medicine is helping you! My dr is going slow because of my age, 25 year old, so I am not getting any hardcore medicine yet. The next one for me is metroxat I think it’s called, they give it as chemotheraphy for cancer patients. Not a thing I want too take if I can avoid it. But I guess it might come to that in the future.

TESTOSTECULES: My symptoms appered differently, I will try to explain. The pain in my fingers/hands, elbows came more slowly over periods of months if not years. I have had pains in my fingers when I have been chopping vegetables for a few years now.

The pain that came faster was the pain in my chest, between my pecs. My father passed away and I thought it was panic attacs or something like that, but it was inflammation. It feels like have a 45 pound plate on my chest but I am not doing crunches. But the pain there came much faster, period of weeks I would say.

Bushidobadboy: If you have any questions please ask about lifting and PA. I have a workout log in the “beginners section” where you can read how a sick person tries to workout :slight_smile:

With the faster symptoms such as your chest - were you sick just prior to the symptoms, have a sudden rash, severally dehydrated, infection, etc.?

No not that I can remember, nothing physical. Alot of mental stress but I don’t know if that matters in this case.

How much mental stress? I believe that can be a factor as well.

There was a study that showed out of a 1000 rats injected with rabies, 10% of those (don’t quote me on the data exactly) did not show any symptoms of the disease until subjected to major stress such as intensely loud noise, flashing lights, etc. for some time (find the study for the exact stressors here). So I believe personally that stress is very much a factor here for many with RA or similar arthritis disorders.

For me, I hesitate to call RA or PA a disease and classify it more as a disorder as I was able to eliminate 99% of my symptoms over the course of 10 months. My symptoms were very acute and very intense. I could not walk for over a month, the swelling took much longer to subside… etc. etc. It was very painful and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

The mental stress factors where the following:

• my girlfriend had been ill (a dissese called myastenia gravis) and been in and out of hospitals for a few months
  • my dad got cancer in his stomach, and died later from the illness.
  • I was failing law school

that was the stress aspect of it.

I am very glad to hear that you are doing much better :slight_smile:
What kind of training do you do? Free weights or what?

Actually, I coming up on my one year anniversary of the first sign of my symptoms in a couple of days which within two weeks left me bed ridden.

I recognized, after researching like a madman, that I had two areas that I could control, stress and diet. I did both - went on an elimination diet for two weeks, then beef or fish, vegetables, olive oil, and water only for over three months. I found this audio technology for meditation that takes you from Beta state down to delta to help stress. I can’t recommend that enough. There’s tons of medical data on audio tech. that producers the Beta, Alpha, Theta, Delta brain wave states. It helped me early and through other help I was able to reduce my stress tremendously. A funny aside, two weeks prior to my first symptoms I tested my stress on those little credit card type stress biofeedback cards you get from health insurance companies - basically it measuring the heat in your hands. Well, everyone in my office was able to get a reading except for me - It would never change colors. The reason I mention this is that I oddly noticed after starting to use the audio tech that my hands were almost on fire as my circulation (I guess) returned to normal. I read after that this can be a sign of stress so biofeedback devices might be useful. I notice now that if my hands get cold when the temperature is normal I need to actively concentrate on reducing stress.

Now… I’m squatting very heavy for me is practically a miracle if you have ever seen the swelling in arthritic knees and how stiff that person looks trying to move. By the way, I’m only 35. It’s the big three for me, squats, deadlifts, presses.

Wow!
You really improved alot and it sounds very impressing how you managed to turn everything around.

You mention audio technology for meditation, do you have any links for that. It seems like something that would be very helpful for me.

keep lifting heavy! :slight_smile:

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

If you look up audio and brain wave states you should find a couple of links to find the cd’s you need.

For me, I believe stress was a “major” factor - wife, two kids, couple houses, etc. etc. and my wife and I had a major blow out the day before I blew out :slight_smile:
Connection - I think so…

You learn when faced with serious health issues (like ahh… not being able to walk all of sudden or lift your arm - try taking making it to the bathroom to take a piss with that shit totally over night but I digress) what are truly priorities in your life however it’s so easy to lose site of that - it only takes a little time to forget - weird how that works.

I need to find my “way” again with that but I believe from that experience that you can “learn” to control stress in active ways through deep concentration and a little help from this audio tech to help it along.

I have read that true physical healing from stress can only happen once you hit the Delta state which you do reach in deep sleep however Buddhist monks can also reach this state awake - I experienced, with the help of the audio tech which otherwise takes years of meditation to get to. There were a couple of weeks there where I really thought I had things figured out on a universal scale… well, it’s hard to describe.

Believe me I’m no new age dude I’m just relaying what worked for me and my personal experiences.

I have also read (and searched for) tons of data regarding the relationship between deficient testosterone levels and RA/PA, etc. I just had my blood pulled for that and we’ll see…

Thanks for the advice, I will look into the audio tapes.

You have some very good points, it is very helpful to hear from other people who want too lift iron and has a medical condition.

Hope the bloodwork helps finding out if high test levels helps with RA etc.

I might need to buy some Alpha Male :slight_smile:

I have some experience with this. The following is/are not fast acting, but I know a number of people including myself who have benefitted from the following. From your Sweden address see if you can locate something called Knox Joint Formula. We were getting it at a local store, but now find a much better price on the internet. Use it at least 4 months, it can be very slow acting, but no side affects with us. Also see if Lifeplus.com has a way for you to get their Proanthanol Bio Complex, 100mg 2@ day. I do not sell or work for either company, but these two work wonders for several problems. Seven years ago my lady friend could hardly walk stairways. She was recently showing off taking stairs backwards, and she is 62 years olde. Oh, she now does rides the bicycle, lifts light weights and some stretching/mantra stuff that I do not know the name of.

Also, google your illness + fish oil.