Psoriasis And Lifting

Tanning definitely helped me, but I didn’t pursue it as I felt I was just trading in one problem for another. UVB lamps seem to be really good at treating psoriasis, but they are pretty expensive.

I definitely agree with the op that alcohol is a big factor. It’s so hard to cut down or quit alcohol, and I definitely could not, but I have significantly reduced the amount i drink and it has had a very positive effect.

The best thing you can do is experiment with removing the different foods that people have recommended in here and see how they influence your symptoms. I’d add all processed sugar to the list of foods to eliminate as well.
The biggest thing I have learnt through all of this, is that your body is unique and only through experimentation can you find what is optimal for it. Make sure you get lots of sleep and reduce stress whenever possible.

I had acne for a while and went on accuatne. I belive that there is a similar vitamin a derivative medication for psoriasis called soriatane (spelling may be off). If this medication works as well as accutane then it may be something to consider.

Good luck OP!

In the days since my first post my eye has almost cleared up 100%. All that’s left is a light pinkness like I’ve been rubbing it a lot. I haven’t had a drink in almost a week and I think that really played a big factor. I was borderline alcoholic more or less until I started working out again.

There are some really fucking gross diseases out there.

Yes there are. So remember, kids… always wear a condom.

[quote]Hodge_Podge18 wrote:
Yes there are. So remember, kids… always wear a condom.[/quote]
Shit.

The cases I have observed have had a strong hormonal component. Eliminating gluten, as has been stated, is a great place to start. Eliminating alcohol altogether not seeming to be an option, I’d try gluten-free beers if beer is your thing. One case similar to yours in severity had little to no success until adopting a very strict diet of meat and vegetables only.

[quote]Did you try the Baen website? I used to go to it all the time and read free books.

Thanks I will check it out.[/quote]

I’ve been to the website a few times before but it confuses the hell out of me, much like another Baen author’s (John Ringo) website. I’ll probably just end up ordering the other books I want online. I bought the last two MHI books online and even got him to sign them before they shipped.[/quote]

Okay ended up buying this book and downloading to my Nook and the next two are available on the website to download for like $6.

Fun, fun, fun read, thanks man.

I wasn’t really sure where else to post this since there’s no general health board to put it in, so here’s as good a place as I could think of.

I have psoriasis. Had it since I was five years old, and it’s sucked every damn day. Especially when I hit puberty. During my early teen years the physical pain and burning feeling from having 70% of my body covered in, more or less, an open wound caused me to actually consider ending my own life. As far as I was concerned, that was as good as it was going to get and it would only get worse. Luckily I never did go that route and now have quite the tolerance for pain and suffering. :slight_smile:

Now that I’ve explained that, I can explain this. The only reason I mentioned that last bit was just to give a perspective on how severely one’s life can be affected by this disease. That’s what psoriasis is… an immune disease. Genetic, not contagious or transferable. But, even with that being said, that’s not the reason I’m posting.

I’m curious if any other T-Nation members have had to deal with psoriasis or know someone who has. I’m interested in how lifting and diet affects my condition. I’m currently taking medication to help regulate my immune system to fight the disease and have been taking it since early 2008. That also sucks. Twice a month I have to inject myself in the leg with a dose of the drug Humira. While it works, it also feels like i’m stabbing myself in the leg with a dart. But since it works for the most part I won’t bitch too much.

One thing I have noticed over the past few years is that Humira isn’t helping clear up all of my psoriasis like most people have reported. The psoriasis is affecting my eyelids and recently has caused my left eye to look like I have a ruptured blood vessel. I went to the eye doctor and they said it was something called epicluritalsomethingorother. I don’t remember specifically, but I do remember being told it was supposed to go away on its own within a couple weeks. It’s still here, and while it doesn’t hurt or affect my vision, I am getting sick of having to assure people that I don’t have pink eye and that I’m safe to be around.

I must admit, for the past eight or nine months my diet has been the shittiest it’s ever been, and I worked out maybe four or five times in that time frame. Work schedules were all fucked up since last summer and manpower’s low, but no one wants to hear excuses. I know I’ve been being lazy, so I don’t need to hear that. I’m just curious if it’s the poor diet that’s causing the P to act up more than usual or if it’s just hormones reacting oddly.

Not looking for medical advice or anything like that. Just some conversation to stimulate the thought process, since my doctors don’t seem to have anymore ideas than I do at the moment.

As I asked already, is there anyone else on these boards with the condition that notices a stark difference between when you’re leaner and healthier and when you’ve slacked off and fallen out of shape? And just to be clear, I am talking about the psoriasis and whether it’s clearer or not.[/quote]

Hey Hodge, I have psoriasis too. I don’t have it to the severity that you have, but none the less live with it to my own degree. I only have it in relatively small patches on my knees, elbows, and knuckles.

Interestingly, I didn’t “develop” psoriasis till I was in the Marine Corps. My life up till then I had pretty much flawless skin. My theory, however aweful it may be, is it was triggered by the copious amounts of drugs and vaccines I was given. Anyone whom has been in the military knows what I am talking about. I read somewhere that certain medications/vaccines can trigger it. I am the only one in my family to have it.

What I have found to help mine (again my is no where near the severity to yours) is lower body fat, eliminating inflammating producing foods from my diet, getting plenty of sleep, and keeping strees as low as I can. Now, you can barely notice I have it, I really just have redness in those areas as long as I apply a tar coal ointment a couple times a day.

Years ago, it was worse and it really did bother me, I was very self conscious about it. Really people just need to be educated on it, because I don’t think a lot of people know what it is and what it looks like. I’ve tried prescription medications and cortizone injections, but I actually got worse flair ups from these. I now use an OTC product called MG217, and I love it. Doesn’t stain your skin and after about 30 minutes soaks in your skin and looks normal, at least for me.

I wish you the best man, I couldn’t imagine how tough its been for you. Just don’t get discouraged and don’t let it control your life my man. Best of luck.

My mother used to run a doctor’s office when I was a small child, so I learned a lot from the stuff she’d explain to me. One time she told me it’s a gene that’s inside everyone, kind of like cancer cells, that can be unlocked by certain things. If that makes sense. The gene is there, but it doesn’t activate in everyone.

Evolv… funny coincidence. I was medically disqualified from enlisting in the Corps because of my psoriasis.

I can relate to being self conscious about it. Even here in Vermont we get some heat waves during the summer. When I was a teenager I’d wear long sleeves and jeans during the summer just to keep the patches on my body hidden. That didn’t help the ones that would show up on my face, but I tried anyway. It wasn’t until I was closer to 18 that I simply stopped giving a fuck.

Thank God there’s meds that can help it. I’ve heard of this new one out there that’s an injectable that you only need to take once a year. I tried getting my doc to give me a subscription but she advised against it because there haven’t been enough case studies yet. I’ll take her word for it now because I’m really not fond of the thought of side effects. Imagine it… “psoriasis medication known to cause spontaneous combustion.” Lol I’m hoping to be able to get a subscription for it within the next few years.

As you already stated, I’ve also noted a decrease in it with lower bodyfat levels, less stress, better diet and more sleep.

[quote]Okay ended up buying this book and downloading to my Nook and the next two are available on the website to download for like $6.

Fun, fun, fun read, thanks man. [/quote]

Dude, he’s got four or five more books in the series signed to be written. I can’t wait. I liked that first book so much that I got the MHI logo from the back of the back tattooed on my shoulder. It’s quite the conversation piece if people see it. lol

Another great Baen author I like is John Ringo. I’m currently reading the Posleen series (I’m on book 9 of 12), but I’ve read all the books in the Ghost and Looking Glass series too. Baen sci-fi is my favorite.

[quote]Okay ended up buying this book and downloading to my Nook and the next two are available on the website to download for like $6.

Dude, he’s got four or five more books in the series signed to be written. I can’t wait. I liked that first book so much that I got the MHI logo from the back of the back tattooed on my shoulder. It’s quite the conversation piece if people see it. lol

Another great Baen author I like is John Ringo. I’m currently reading the Posleen series (I’m on book 9 of 12), but I’ve read all the books in the Ghost and Looking Glass series too. Baen sci-fi is my favorite.[/quote]

I have read a lot of Ringo’s books back about 4-5 years ago.

I used to read a ton of the free books from Baen, when I was working ER. When we had slow nights I could kick back and read of the net.

Another great Baen author I like is John Ringo. I’m currently reading the Posleen series (I’m on book 9 of 12), but I’ve read all the books in the Ghost and Looking Glass series too. Baen sci-fi is my favorite.[/quote]

Okay just read the first two and downloaded the third one.

Fun reading, again thanks for the referral

Glad to be of service. It’s always nice to pass his work on for more people to enjoy.

Glad to be of service. It’s always nice to pass his work on for more people to enjoy.[/quote]

Yea I read the first one, then World War Z and then the second one. I am halfway through the third.

Did you say he had some others that are pretty good?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Glad to be of service. It’s always nice to pass his work on for more people to enjoy.[/quote]

Yea I read the first one, then World War Z and then the second one. I am halfway through the third.

Did you say he had some others that are pretty good?[/quote]

They’re making a film of World War Z, with Brad Pitt-- I’ve never read the book, but heard fans of it say it would be impossible to get the full quality/scope of the book into a movie.

[quote]Evolv wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

They’re making a film of World War Z, with Brad Pitt-- I’ve never read the book, but heard fans of it say it would be impossible to get the full quality/scope of the book into a movie.[/quote]

It was not what I expected, think a news story with interviews of people from around the world. That is the book, no real lead characters.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

I haven’t read them yet, but his fan page is always blowing up with asking when the next books will be out cuz they’re so awesome.

One series is called Dead Six. That one I’m interested in. The other is the Grimnoir Chronicles. I think he’s got two books out for Grimnoir already, and another should be out soon for Dead Six. And, as I said earlier, there’s supposed to be about five more MHI books coming down the pipeline in the next few years. :slight_smile: