PR's Post-Injury

Ok people, so I’m on the shelf for a few weeks and need some motivation from the Nation.

What I want to hear from you all is this:

• What kind of injury did you have?
  • What kind of PR’s did you set post-injury?

We know about people like EC who had bad discs, and then this stud comes back and pulls 573 and is knocking on the door of 6 bills. Any other success stories out there?

Stay strong
MR

I dislocated my collar bone at the sc joint and went on to win nationals 4 days later. In the next year I added 25 lbs to my bench.

Years back, I was trimming my pubes with a pair of scissors and I was snipping away when I accidentally snipped my penis and cut a big blue vein. It bled for about a week, and I didn’t get wood until it healed, but once it did, I had marathon sex.

Ever since that tragic day, I now use electric trimmers with a guard, as I don’t ever want to cut my dick like that again.

This is a true story

I tore my acl in 2001. Here are some PRs I’ve made since then. BW around 160-165lbs
Sumo Deadlift-405 (With the help of Mike Robertson)
Deadlift-385
Full Squat-315
Parallel Squat-405
Power Clean-245
40 time-4.34 (handheld time done on a track)

Phil,

Thanks for the props on the pull, but you did the hard work yourself. Congrats!

Keep these coming…it’s great reading about people successfully overcoming the odds!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Years back, I was trimming my pubes with a pair of scissors and I was snipping away when I accidentally snipped my penis and cut a big blue vein. It bled for about a week, and I didn’t get wood until it healed, but once it did, I had marathon sex.

Ever since that tragic day, I now use electric trimmers with a guard, as I don’t ever want to cut my dick like that again.

This is a true story[/quote]

Your dick bled for a week and you didn’t go to the hospital? You’re like a woman dude!!!

Well, I didn’t bench for almost the entire 2003 year; I was actually scheduled to have arthroscopic surgery on my right shoulder to fix a partial thickness tear in my supraspinatus and remove a bunch of bone spurs from my tennis career.

Instead, I learned how to train around my problem, cancelled the surgery, and if all goes well, I’ll bench 360+ at 165 on July 30 at AWPC Worlds (did 350 in training last week).

Eric -

How in the world, when you dieted down, you retain such incredible strength? Do you think JB’s Massive Eating provides the suitable caloric stimulus to achieve such gains - some argue it’s too “clean” and that pure excess is the way to go, followed by strict dieting.

I know you’re all about performance (something I’m concerned with as a martial artist) - what sort of fat loss plan do you think is optimal for someone looking to achieve an efficient, cut physique.

neck injury with near total loss of strength and size in right tricep Oct 2000.

C5-7 diskectomy/fusion June 2001.

No lifting at all from Oct 2000 through Sep 2001.

Jun 2002 I was at about 90%-95% of previous strength levels.

PRs:
Mar 04 NASA Meet (raw)
squat 345 (pathetic for my 225lbs but a PR)
bench 320
dead 440

Jun 05 gym lifts
squat 375 (getting better)
bench 350 (touch, no pause)
DB snatch 100

It has been a long, interesting journey.

[quote]zdrax wrote:
Eric -

How in the world, when you dieted down, you retain such incredible strength? Do you think JB’s Massive Eating provides the suitable caloric stimulus to achieve such gains - some argue it’s too “clean” and that pure excess is the way to go, followed by strict dieting.

I know you’re all about performance (something I’m concerned with as a martial artist) - what sort of fat loss plan do you think is optimal for someone looking to achieve an efficient, cut physique. [/quote]

From an email I wrote in response to a similar question a few days ago:

[quote]
I think you might have misunderstood my post regarding making weight. Here’s how I typically do things:

-During the non-competition period, I’m roughly 175-180. This includes sufficient glycogen and obviously adequate hydration status.

-About four weeks out from a competition, I’ll slightly drop my calories to allow for about two pounds of body fat loss. I don’t want to lose too much, as dropping below my set point really compromises strength.

-One week out, I cut out all carbs except fibrous veggies. This isn’t much of a problem, as I’m not really lifting this week. I’ll do some light cardio to assist in glycogen depletion. I’ll get to about 170-171 this way.

-YEAR ROUND, I drink a ton of water and take in lots of sodium. About 24 hours out from the weigh-in, I stop drinking water. Because aldosterone is naturally very low because of my fluid and sodium habits, I can urinate out a lot of water weight before my body realizes that it’s dehydrated. Combined with my carb depletion and the fact that I’m essentially only eating dry Grow!, oil, and maybe some lean meats in that 24 hours, I make weight (165.25).

-The federation in which I lift has a 24-hour weigh-in, so I have plenty of time to rehydrate and take in a boatload of carbs before I lift. Supercompensation is a beautiful thing, as I tend to fill out nicely in time for lifting. I wouldn’t be able to pull this off in a federation that uses the same day weigh-in and lift, though. I generally lift at about 172-173.

Basically, the difference between you and I is that you need to drop weight and stay there, whereas I only need to be there for about 30 seconds! That’s not to say that you can’t drop body fat without strength loss, though; it just has to be a more gradual process. If you drop calories dramatically, your performance will suffer. Bodybuilders can suffer all they want, as they don’t care about being weak. Strength and power athletes need to be a lot more careful.

Hope this clears things up.[/quote]

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:

This is a true story[/quote]

I feel weird…

You gotta be cool, calm and collected. I’m about due for a trim, damn I’m gonna be thinking about this now. You just need to pull them straight and make sure your dicks out the way before you cut.

[quote]elars21 wrote:
I feel weird…

You gotta be cool, calm and collected. I’m about due for a trim, damn I’m gonna be thinking about this now. You just need to pull them straight and make sure your dicks out the way before you cut.[/quote]

Yeah, I was just cutting haphazardly. Not really something you should do in that area. I was snipping like a madman until that fatal snip to my dick.

As for not going to the hospital, I didn’t see the need. I mean, sure, it was a huge vein that runs down the side of my penis. You know, the one that you always can see and gets all big and gorged with blood when you have an erection?

I figured that after a nice cut like that (you should have seen the blood!), it would heal up in a day or two. You know, just scab up and such. But since your dick is always changing size and shifting back and forth during the day and at night, it just didn’t want to heal that quickly. But by the following Friday (it happened on a Sunday), it was good to go. And no scar that I can see either!

March of '03, I get kicked in the solar plexus. Tears cartilage, breaks rib in two places, cracks it in a third. At the time, I was 145lbs or less (can’t remember off the top of my head)

15 months, 8 days later, can lift and do karate again.

I end up DL’ing 360x5 one week, then 420x1 the next at a bodyweight of 210lbs and 17% BF.

Currently working on getting over some slight muscle problems in my hips/legs. Hope to meet some physique and base athletic performance goals after I’m done with the PT. Definetly going to work on going for my second degree in karate as well.

I’ve had various leg injuries from playing soccer (high school) and runing track and cross country (high school and college) at a high level. The most notable setbacks being Achilles tendon and tearing my ACL(bad).

Probably not want you want to hear, but I’ve never quite been the same since my ACL injury. I chose to end my college running career and forgo competition otherwise for awhile. But the silver lining, is that I focused much more on weight training and have gotten very into it. I’m bigger than I’ve ever been and have been able to focus on size and strength in a way I couldn’t as a cross country and middle distance track runner. And I will continue to grow some more. And I can still run essentially pain free when I choose if not at my previous level. Heal up! And embrace whatever is in front of you after recovering from your injury. As you say,

Stay strong

when i was 13 i jumped off a 40 foot cliff and landed on a boat. that ceased all my endeavors to be the greatest wrestler to ever live.

now at 22, im preparing for something even bigger.