Prowler Workout too Easy

Just alpha. Can I see a link?

[quote]motherofpearl2 wrote:
K[quote]justkevin wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

I w[quote]inkaddict wrote:
How much weight are you putting on it? Couple 45’s is easy for a while, but put 400#s on it and it’s fucking hard. Well, unless you’re a machine and it doesn’t phase you, in which case I would salute you[/quote]
I was using it for condtioning/subsitute for leg excercise. I try putting on more weight but all that is going to make it harder on the legs not lungs.[/quote]
Well, for me, putting more weight on it gets me to puke-town faster than light weight with high speed. It’s all in how much effort you put into it. You could put no weight on it and sprint, or you could load it down and sprint as hard and fast as you can; even though it will move slowly, you’re going to get a greater workout from it being ‘harder’

IMO[/quote]

One thing that I like to use is a moderate weight- 2 45’s or 2 45’s and 2 25’s and do short fast sprint repeats with low rest. Build up to 20-30 trips with 15s rest and your lungs should be feeling it.
But really, the idea should be to make progress, not try to puke- if you’re interested in that I hear a toothbrush works well.[/quote]
I know I should try that but I dontg see it working. My legs gives out before my lungs but ill try it. I know its to progress but I can’t progress soemthing that is too easy. I might use it for work capacity increase and restoration. I would want to puke for menatl toughness and incrase from there.[/quote]

Try it. It’s not a restoration protocol.
And yes, exactly. Your legs give out before your lungs do, it’s a common problem.
The solution is to get around it- shorten the work and rest intervals so that metabolite accumulation in the legs is minimal, and the rest is just long enough for them to recover. Breathing, on the other hand takes longer to both increase and decrease. Your Vo2 uptake may only drop 5-10% in a 15 second break, so the respiratory system is still being challenged even though the legs are being allowed time to recover.

[quote]justkevin wrote:

K[quote]justkevin wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

I w[quote]inkaddict wrote:
How much weight are you putting on it? Couple 45’s is easy for a while, but put 400#s on it and it’s fucking hard. Well, unless you’re a machine and it doesn’t phase you, in which case I would salute you[/quote]
I was using it for condtioning/subsitute for leg excercise. I try putting on more weight but all that is going to make it harder on the legs not lungs.[/quote]
Well, for me, putting more weight on it gets me to puke-town faster than light weight with high speed. It’s all in how much effort you put into it. You could put no weight on it and sprint, or you could load it down and sprint as hard and fast as you can; even though it will move slowly, you’re going to get a greater workout from it being ‘harder’

MIMO[/quote]

One thing that I like to use is a moderate weight- 2 45’s or 2 45’s and 2 25’s and do short fast sprint repeats with low rest. Build up to 20-30 trips with 15s rest and your lungs should be feeling it.
But really, the idea should be to make progress, not try to puke- if you’re interested in that I hear a toothbrush works well.[/quote]
I know I should try that but I dontg see it working. My legs gives out before my lungs but ill try it. I know its to progress but I can’t progress soemthing that is too easy. I might use it for work capacity increase and restoration. I would want to puke for menatl toughness and incrase from there.[/quote]

Try it. It’s not a restoration protocol.
And yes, exactly. Your legs give out before your lungs do, it’s a common problem.
The solution is to get around it- shorten the work and rest intervals so that metabolite accumulation in the legs is minimal, and the rest is just long enough for them to recover. Breathing, on the other hand takes longer to both increase and decrease. Your Vo2 uptake may only drop 5-10% in a 15 second break, so the respiratory system is still being challenged even though the legs are being allowed time to recover. [/quote]

I will try and experiment with different rest cycles and weight.I try higher weight for 10 second sprints for and 5-8 second rest.

OP, you are over thinking this. If it’s not hard, add weight. If you don’t want to do that, add distance. Push it until you feel like you might die, rest and repeat or pull it and do the same. Simple as that.

[quote]masonator wrote:
OP, you are over thinking this. If it’s not hard, add weight. If you don’t want to do that, add distance. Push it until you feel like you might die, rest and repeat or pull it and do the same. Simple as that.[/quote]

Agreed, although it almost sounds as if the OP needs to build some lower body strength in order to get more from the sled.

Maybe you need to start pushing a mac truck… with the parking break on.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=305&pid=2020

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=305&pid=2020[/quote]

Truck not included though, that’s where they get ya.

I’m a middle aged female, 130# . I often push upwards of 400# 30 yards or so on asphalt when I’m pushing heavy. My PR is 529. Two other ladies at my gym have just pushed 560. One weighed in at 132.6# when she did that. If you push 4.22x your body weight I believe you will experience some training benefit.

But if puking is a high priority for you, I suggest pushing it longer distances, again and again. For me the nausea usually sets in when doing multiple sets at a lighter weight for our long course, about 40 yards… Enjoy!

[quote]ldt wrote:
I’m a middle aged female, 130# . I often push upwards of 400# 30 yards or so on asphalt when I’m pushing heavy. My PR is 529. Two other ladies at my gym have just pushed 560. One weighed in at 132.6# when she did that. If you push 4.22x your body weight I believe you will experience some training benefit. But if puking is a high priority for you, I suggest pushing it longer distances, again and again. For me the nausea usually sets in when doing multiple sets at a lighter weight for our long course, about 40 yards… Enjoy! [/quote]

Oh dear, i’ve just been humbled. Nice avatar too

[quote]dudsman wrote:

[quote]ldt wrote:
I’m a middle aged female, 130# . I often push upwards of 400# 30 yards or so on asphalt when I’m pushing heavy. My PR is 529. Two other ladies at my gym have just pushed 560. One weighed in at 132.6# when she did that. If you push 4.22x your body weight I believe you will experience some training benefit. But if puking is a high priority for you, I suggest pushing it longer distances, again and again. For me the nausea usually sets in when doing multiple sets at a lighter weight for our long course, about 40 yards… Enjoy! [/quote]

Oh dear, i’ve just been humbled. Nice avatar too
[/quote]

As have I. 560 is a big jump for me. It took me quite a while to get to 529. And I am a pretty dedicated lifter. This woman is a relative newbie. Aaargh. Well it gives me something to shoot for.

Was this written as a joke or just to elicit a response? Sprinting is arguably one of the most physically demanding exercises a person can perform.

Sprint faster, harder, longer, with more weight, or with less rest, and it doesn’t matter who you are you will create an oxygen deficiency in the lungs and/or muscles. That goes for sprinting with or wthout a prowler/sled.

Set your goals, continually increase the intensity of any or all of the above listed factors and you will progress. If puking is a goal increase intensity and you will reach it. Good Luck!!

With our athletes who are in good shape in regards to the prowler:

Load up the prowler first and do 5-7 sets of heavy drags for 25 yrd pulls.

Then do your “sprints” with a lighter weight - timed 1 minute rest intervals (usually 10 sprints is more than enough to elicit the response you are after)

I will try and experiment with different rest cycles and weight.I try higher weight for 10 second sprints for and 5-8 second rest.[/quote]

so far you havent mentioned how many sprints you are doing. all i have seen is 50 yards down and back (how many times?).

-add more weight
-which handles? try the low ones

and what you said above, 10 second sprints for 5-8 seconds rest indicates to me that youre not putting a lot of effort into these sprints. if youre sprinting longer than youre resting, youre doing something wrong. you shouldnt be able to give an all out effort for 10 seconds, then rest barely long enough to get your hands off the prowler, stand up straight take a breath and be ready to put your hands back on the prowler.

overall, work harder. if you go all-out for 10-15 seconds, you should be sucking wind pretty hard for 30-45 seconds if not more.

Always feel the Prowler in my legs. It never kills my lungs.

I also run long distance and sprint to prepare for PT tests.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:

[quote]masonator wrote:
OP, you are over thinking this. If it’s not hard, add weight. If you don’t want to do that, add distance. Push it until you feel like you might die, rest and repeat or pull it and do the same. Simple as that.[/quote]

Agreed, although it almost sounds as if the OP needs to build some lower body strength in order to get more from the sled.[/quote]

not really i squat 325x8 atg and deadlift 500x2.

[quote]gbouge1 wrote:
Was this written as a joke or just to elicit a response? Sprinting is arguably one of the most physically demanding exercises a person can perform.

Sprint faster, harder, longer, with more weight, or with less rest, and it doesn’t matter who you are you will create an oxygen deficiency in the lungs and/or muscles. That goes for sprinting with or wthout a prowler/sled.

Set your goals, continually increase the intensity of any or all of the above listed factors and you will progress. If puking is a goal increase intensity and you will reach it. Good Luck!![/quote]

I run long distinces,weight train, sprint(including prowler sprints,tabatas,circuit,etc)
I can run all day and although it be hard my legs will give out before my lungs. For example if I was able to keep up 100 percent threshold I MIGHT feel it in my lungs but I dont so it acually gets more easy after a while.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:

I will try and experiment with different rest cycles and weight.I try higher weight for 10 second sprints for and 5-8 second rest.[/quote]

so far you havent mentioned how many sprints you are doing. all i have seen is 50 yards down and back (how many times?).

-add more weight
-which handles? try the low ones

and what you said above, 10 second sprints for 5-8 seconds rest indicates to me that youre not putting a lot of effort into these sprints. if youre sprinting longer than youre resting, youre doing something wrong. you shouldnt be able to give an all out effort for 10 seconds, then rest barely long enough to get your hands off the prowler, stand up straight take a breath and be ready to put your hands back on the prowler.

overall, work harder. if you go all-out for 10-15 seconds, you should be sucking wind pretty hard for 30-45 seconds if not more.

[/quote]

I really don’t know but i did it untill it got easy. Maybe 15 sprints of 40 50 yards plus to try to make it harder i might jog around as active recovery but it still was not hard enough. Anyway I feel like my long distinces running needs more work since my anarobic condtioning is “maxed” out for now.

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:
With our athletes who are in good shape in regards to the prowler:

Load up the prowler first and do 5-7 sets of heavy drags for 25 yrd pulls.

Then do your “sprints” with a lighter weight - timed 1 minute rest intervals (usually 10 sprints is more than enough to elicit the response you are after)[/quote]

I did try heavier weight on the prowler and it was harder but then again that was after not conditioning in a while.

Try doing push ups and pull ups in between prowler sets. Whenever I mix upper and lower body work right after each other it makes me sick.