T Nation

Prowler Work

So I just got a prowler… Haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but the facility that I have it stored at is somewhat small with regards to straight line length. We’re keeping it on the roof of a building, which I estimate the longest distance I could push it is something like 20 yards.

The articles I’ve read about prowlers cite distances of 50-80 meters, depending on the goal. Is there a work around? Am I overthinking this? Should I just load it up and push the hell out of it for time?

No one?

Turn the sled around at the end of a lap without rest to extend the distance.

I can’t imagine why the building manager would allow anyone to put the sled on the roof.

Lol good point, but its an old US military building :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
Turn the sled around at the end of a lap without rest to extend the distance.

I can’t imagine why the building manager would allow anyone to put the sled on the roof.[/quote]

This, pretty much. You have to keep driving your legs to turn the thing around.

You could also push it one way with the upright posts then immediately switch end for end and push it back with the front handle.

This is kind of like saying "I want to run 400m but the football field where I work out is only 100m long…

What kind of surface is on the roof?

Yeah, I get what you mean… Make the best of the short distance.

The roof is made of concrete, kind of like something on “The Hangover” when they find Doug on the roof if that makes sense. I was thinking about putting down that putt-putt golf grass down to preserve the finish as much as possible, but I think it’ll get worn anyway. Do prowlers leave a mess over time on regular concrete like a parking lot or something similar?

Ok, here is the thing.

Take it out for a walk in the park.

Put a leash (rope, 18’) around the front of it that has handles.

Pull it backwards and then push it back forwards. Conditioning done.

So -
I own an econo which I push for pretty long distances - i’d estimate 50-70 yards. I usually do it on a gravel parking lot - sometimes I go to a concrete lot.

But, my gym has them on the green carpet/turf and the strip is only 10 yards. However, at the gym I have access to infinitely more weight.
My 10 yard pushes can get pretty brutal.

Both work pretty well and keep my body off balance and working hard.

I used to go to a gym where it had a similarly short, narrow area for the prowler. I used to attach a TRX to the front, which I’d lay on top of the plates. I’d push it to one end, quickly spin it round, grab the TRX handles and pull it back. Great conditioning work. The other thing you could do in your circumstances is zigzag across the roof. This would make your sets longer and also be more taxing on the core.

I use 20 30 40 & 50 yards, varies intensities and weights.