Proven Ways to Reduce Cholesterol?

hello,

i’m having another blood test in december 16, because my mom thinks olive oil is gonna give me high ldl cholesterol.(even though my doctor recommended it to increase my hdl) i’ve had high cholesterol since age 7, but got rid of it 4 months ago by taking away processed carbs.

but she still thinks the olive oil is gonna kill me(all fat=bad to her). she says if there is anything wrong with my blood work, i have to go back to my old diet(aka processed carbs).

my blood work in june was good, just some low hdl. i want December’s cholesterol results to be perfect to convince my mom. i got this advice from the V-Diet Q&A.

• supplement with fish oil(can’t have this, as my mom would freak if i eat another type of oil)
  • eat ground flax seed(i put this in my oatmeal for breakfast)

know any tips to reduce ldl and increase hdl?
(i googled for info and found “advice” to remove all fats from diet, so i’m not using that again!)

Every time I donate blood they give a free cholesterol test and back in 2009 when I was bulking hard trying to break the 200 pound barrier (got to 215)eating ice cream, cheese cake, milk by the gallon, piles of rice and 1-2 pounds of steak a day. My cholesterol shot up to 162 from 136, since then I decided to hold this weight for a while.

Only recently this semester have I been able to train more consistently than Ive ever have before decided to lean up to about 10% body fat then bulk again once I reach my goal. I basically just mainly ate meat veggies and olive oil with some carbs here and there as I needed for energy and supplemented with fish oil and cholesterol went down to 135 at a higher body weight than before. Now I am about 205ish.

fiber and exercise should help

fish oil. Lots of it. Preferably high quality fish oil like the Biotest stuff.

So you’re 16?

Your parents don’t have to know about the fish oil. Keep a jar in your room and swallow a few capsules before or after every meal. There’s no real problem.

I didnt realize you were so young. It may be hard to afford fish oil. In which case you should eat fatty fish like salmon. Get peanut butter with added omega 3 fat. Smart Balance is a good brand. Its the omega 3 fatty acids that you want to increase.

Eat a lot of fiber. To some extent, it will bind to bile acids in your small intestine, your body will turn more cholesterol into bile acids and your serum cholesterol levels will decrease. I’m fairly sure your parents will allow this.

As with everything, it’s possible to eat too much fiber. Just don’t be an idiot and you’ll do fine.

That overhead press goal in your hub seems a tad high, can you achieve it?

1. Fiber.
  2. Good fats (nuts, nut butters, and seeds; olive, fish, flaxseed, and canola oil; and/or a few servings of oily fish per week).
  3. Fiber.
  4. Exercise.
  5. Get bodyfat down.
  6. Last, cornball resort: statin drugs.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

1. Fiber.
  2. Good fats (nuts, nut butters, and seeds; olive, fish, flaxseed, and canola oil; and/or a few servings of oily fish per week).
  3. Fiber.
  4. Exercise.
  5. Get bodyfat down.
  6. Last, cornball resort: statin drugs. [/quote]

I agree.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

1. Fiber.
  3. Fiber.
  4. Exercise.
  5. Get bodyfat down.
  6. Last, cornball resort: statin drugs. [/quote]

I agree.

[/quote]

thanks for the adivce, just a question though.

i’m 6ft, 170 lbs and 19%bf, so my lbm is pretty bad. would increasing it also help .I go to the gym 5x per week and sprint 1x a week.

and most of the nuts in my house are pre-roasted with vegetable oils, is that a bad thing?

Have you thought about educating your mother?

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[/quote]

tried it, failed. the only person she believes is my doctor, and my doctor is one of those types who wants ALL fat out of the diet.

[quote]deadliftgoal500 wrote:

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[/quote]

tried it, failed. the only person she believes is my doctor, and my doctor is one of those types who wants ALL fat out of the diet.
[/quote]

A doctor who doesn’t advocate fish oil?

Find a new one.

1 Like

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

An especially stupid idea if cholesterol is an issue…

I agree with Vicomte, get a new doc or something… If she’s on one of those “80% carbs, 10-15 protein, 5 fat” diets… Christ…

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with Vicomte, get a new doc or something… If she’s on one of those “80% carbs, 10-15 protein, 5 fat” diets… Christ…

[/quote]

80%carbs/15%protein/5% fat was pretty much my diet 5 months ago lol.

a question again, my mom is getting some raw walnuts and maybe almonds. these 2 nuts are good right?

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

a question again, my mom is getting some raw walnuts and maybe almonds. these 2 nuts are good right?
[/quote]

I’m not sure how much eating some almonds is going to help your cholesterol, brother.

If you’re really worried, get some fucking fish oil.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

i would, but i have no money(no allowance or job!). and my mom doesn’t want me to eat another oil until after the blood test if the results are good. then I’m definitely getting some!

and another poster suggested nuts in his “good fat” suggestion.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I’m not sure how much eating some almonds is going to help your cholesterol, brother.

If you’re really worried, get some fucking fish oil.[/quote]

i would, but i have no money of my own(no allowance or job!)and i’m not allowed to get any more oils until after the blood test if the results are good. after that i’m definently getting some, probably Biotest Flameout.

and another poster suggested nuts in his “good fats” suggestion

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

i would, but i have no money(no allowance or job!). and my mom doesn’t want me to eat another oil until after the blood test if the results are good. then I’m definitely getting some!

and another poster suggested nuts in his “good fat” suggestion.

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you’re really worried, get some fucking fish oil.[/quote]

i would, but i have no money of my own(no allowance or job!)and i’m not allowed to get any more oils until after the blood test if the results are good. after that i’m definently getting some, probably Biotest Flameout.

and another poster suggested nuts in his “good fats” suggestion
[/quote]

instead of asking is every single food is good or bad google a list of foods with omega 3 fatty acid in them. then research them to see if theyre worth pursuing. then eat the ones that work for you

B vitamins have a very strong influence over HDL levels.

Flameout is a really good source of fatty acids. However, if you are on a budget/broke, try Nature’s way MEGA DHA. That is not as good as Flameout, but has 2g DHA per 4 caps and is much cheaper. (10$ for 60 caps). Hide it where you would hide your sock.
Try “Naturally More” peanut butter, can get it at most Walmarts.Its cheap, <3$.

If you are 16, you really really cannot do much about having a stupid doctor or your mom believing dietary cholesterol gives high cholesterol.

Almonds are good, and Walnuts too, if you can eat them :slight_smile:

Edit : And, if KSMAN says something, you blindly follow it. He knows more about the underlying chemistry than your doctors.