T Nation

Proven 4 Days/wk Workout Program?

Is there a popular proven workout that is good for intermediates looking to add size and strength. I prefer upper/lower splits but anything will work. I know I probably should never design my own program but I was thinking about something like

Upper Day 1 heavy (6x3)
Lower Day 1 volume (4x8)
off
Upper 2 volume (4x8)
Lower 2 heavy (6x3)
off
off

Upper 1
DB bench
BB row
Military press
chinups
dips
bbcurl

lower 1
Squat
Lunges
Step Up
Shrugs
Seated Calf Raises
Wrist Roller

Upper 2
Incline DB Bench
Reverse Grip Row
Pullups
Arnold Press
Tricep Extension
Hammer Curls

Lower 2
Deadlift
Split Squats
Leg Press
Behind Back Shrugs
Standing calf raise
Wrist Roller

Please critique or suggest another program

thanks for all your help

[quote]sublimelaxer wrote:
Is there a popular proven workout that is good for intermediates looking to add size and strength. [/quote]

Back/biceps
Chest/triceps
Thighs/calves
Delts/traps

[quote]I know I probably should never design my own program …
[/quote]

What in the world gave you this idea?

The whole POINT of this is to figure out what works for you, and you alone.

Your objective should be to try a few basic things until you are experienced enough to know how your body responds and what you need to be doing.

An “intermediate” should have a pretty firm grasp on something like that, and be able to design his own program without any problems.

[quote]
An “intermediate” should have a pretty firm grasp on something like that, and be able to design his own program without any problems.[/quote]

indeed this is true. I have had great success with my own programs, however, whenever i post an example of one they get trashed by everyone

[quote]sublimelaxer wrote:

indeed this is true. I have had great success with my own programs, however, whenever i post an example of one they get trashed by everyone[/quote]

If it aint broke don’t fix it.

[quote]mr popular wrote:

Back/biceps
Chest/triceps
Thighs/calves
Delts/traps

[/quote]

Good program IMO

Don’t neglect the rows, and chins or pulldowns. Don’t be afraid of the lat pulldown. A lot of us find it’s much better once you learn to use it. I use a grip that ends right before the bar curves down with a thumbless grip, and high rep sets. I love it.

Like Mr. Popular said, find what works for you. Ignore the dogma.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Don’t neglect the rows, and chins or pulldowns. Don’t be afraid of the lat pulldown. A lot of us find it’s much better once you learn to use it. I use a grip that ends right before the bar curves down with a thumbless grip, and high rep sets. I love it.

Like Mr. Popular said, find what works for you. Ignore the dogma.[/quote]

if I can do weighted pullups is that better than pulldowns?

[quote]sublimelaxer wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Don’t neglect the rows, and chins or pulldowns. Don’t be afraid of the lat pulldown. A lot of us find it’s much better once you learn to use it. I use a grip that ends right before the bar curves down with a thumbless grip, and high rep sets. I love it.

Like Mr. Popular said, find what works for you. Ignore the dogma.

if I can do weighted pullups is that better than pulldowns?[/quote]

Why not do both?

[quote]sublimelaxer wrote:

An “intermediate” should have a pretty firm grasp on something like that, and be able to design his own program without any problems.

indeed this is true. I have had great success with my own programs, however, whenever i post an example of one they get trashed by everyone[/quote]

Who is “everyone” and which of them have pictures of themselves available?

[quote]Locker121 wrote:
sublimelaxer wrote:

indeed this is true. I have had great success with my own programs, however, whenever i post an example of one they get trashed by everyone

If it aint broke don’t fix it.[/quote]

I guess if he was experienced enough to make it work, he wouldn’t be asking this question.

4 days a week is the absolute minimum I would expect someone to train if their goal was optimal progress.

bodypart splits are the easiest time proven way to make progress.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Locker121 wrote:
sublimelaxer wrote:

indeed this is true. I have had great success with my own programs, however, whenever i post an example of one they get trashed by everyone

If it aint broke don’t fix it.

I guess if he was experienced enough to make it work, he wouldn’t be asking this question.

4 days a week is the absolute minimum I would expect someone to train if their goal was optimal progress.[/quote]

What is your suggestion I found that if I squat or dl more than twice a week I have severe lateral knee pain caused my an injured IT band in highschool football. I would not like to be the guy in the gym that has disproportionate upper/lower body so i try to keep work level the same

The page has a lot of good info on it but if you scroll to the bottom there’s a 4 day upper/lower split that has worked well for me.

Did this guy just write, “I know I should never design my own program”?

Dude, with that way of thinking, you’re NEVER going to be as good as you can be! Mark my words!

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Did this guy just write, “I know I should never design my own program”?

Dude, with that way of thinking, you’re NEVER going to be as good as you can be! Mark my words![/quote]

They don’t even TRY to think for themselves. In fact, they seem to think this is what you shouldn’t do. None of these guys are exactly going to be standing out much in the future. They aren’t the type.