T Nation

Protruding Scapula

“I agree with using the Cressey et al. methods, but to say that there is a problem here seems to be jumping the gun already.”

What the hell are you guys talking about? The original poster mentioned the “problem” and asked for advice!

If you don’t think he has a problem then tell HIM that instead of arguing about what was said by other posters. The only thing that anyone has done is to try and relate with the original poster by offering advice that seemed appropriate to that individual giving the advice!

To lighten this thread up a bit, I think we should all take a quick dance break.

[edit: humerous picture was originally attached. sad…]

Here’s some background:

I have no shoulder injuries, thank god.

my posture is pretty good too, I just have these goddamn protruding scapula that are just not really something I like. The left one sticks out a hair farther from what I could tell.

as for doing back and shoulder exercises, I’ve actually done a 1 to 1 ratio of rowes to benching pretty much since I first picked up a weight. I doubt most people can claim that.

But the simple issue is… my scapula slightly protrude and I was just hoping someone might know some things to do to help mediate this.

thanks for the support folks.

I say we think about the scapulae a bit more! :slight_smile:

It’s axiomatic from the stated problem.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
Professor X wrote:How do you know there is a “structural imbalance”?

It’s axiomatic from the stated problem.[/quote]

According to what he just wrote, it doesn’t seem any more of a problem than esthetically.

[quote]ATOMemphis wrote:
To lighten this thread up a bit, I think we should all take a quick dance break.[/quote]

Stop…Hammer time!!!

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
Here’s some background:

I have no shoulder injuries, thank god.

my posture is pretty good too, I just have these goddamn protruding scapula that are just not really something I like. The left one sticks out a hair farther from what I could tell.

as for doing back and shoulder exercises, I’ve actually done a 1 to 1 ratio of rowes to benching pretty much since I first picked up a weight. I doubt most people can claim that.

But the simple issue is… my scapula slightly protrude and I was just hoping someone might know some things to do to help mediate this.

thanks for the support folks.[/quote]

Like was said, anyone who is very lean without a lot of mass on their back will have scapulas that stick out in bold relief. You correct that by simply giving yourself time to get stronger and grow.

[quote]ATOMemphis wrote:
I disagree with the thought that it is automatically a structural imbalance.

There are plenty of athletes who are not suffering from any rotator cuff injuries AND have shoulder blades protruding. Best example I can think of is swimmers. You see the shoulder blades on numerous because a lack of mass.

Reason one sticks out more than the other? When I look in the mirror, over my shoulder at my back, turns out one side is lifted up higher than the other due to my attempted “owl-necking”.

I agree with using the Cressey et al. methods, but to say that there is a problem here seems to be jumping the gun already.[/quote]

Good post.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
“I agree with using the Cressey et al. methods, but to say that there is a problem here seems to be jumping the gun already.”

What the hell are you guys talking about? The original poster mentioned the “problem” and asked for advice!

If you don’t think he has a problem then tell HIM that instead of arguing about what was said by other posters. The only thing that anyone has done is to try and relate with the original poster by offering advice that seemed appropriate to that individual giving the advice![/quote]

NO no no, see - here we are again assuming that because the OP posted that he didn’t like the way his bones showed through his skin, you claim this to be a real problem. A skeletal imbalance! Criminey! The sky is falling! WOLF WOLF!!!

Now I’m only joking and trying to have a good time, I don’t mean any offense, so please laugh along, there’s humor to be found on both sides of the debate here.

The OP responds, get this: No postural problems or injuries or rectal probes still lodged in him, he just plain doesn’t like seeing ‘them’ so much!

Prof. X’s solution to add meat to cover them up seems more and more logical the further this thread goes.

Alternative method: use a metal grinder and sand those suckers down some.

Or, as it is a minor thing you really don’t see very often yourself (its on your back afterall), don’t concern yourself too much in the active pursuit of a fix and let the natural progression of lifting fix it all for you.

ProfX,

““Like was said, anyone who is very lean without a lot of mass on their back will have scapulas that stick out in bold relief.””

Wrong. If your scapulae are sitting tightly where they belong (against the ribcage) they won’t be sticking out.

CU,

The harsh reality is that your scapulae stick out because they are weak. They are weak because you let them be. If the habit is too ingrained then consider “Rolfing”. It is highly reccomended.

Hey AeroStallion, post a pic of your condition.

ATO Memphis,

The original poster doesn’t understand the FACT that protruding scapulae is the same goddam thing as “structural imbalance”. He thinks his posture is “ok” cause he doesn’t know what he is talking about. Just tryin to shine some light on the facts here.

An aesthetic issue it may be, if wants it to go away he needs to retract the scapulae which = correcting the imbalance.

It’s so friggin logical that it hurts! :slight_smile:

No worries here about hard feelings btw.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
ProfX,

““Like was said, anyone who is very lean without a lot of mass on their back will have scapulas that stick out in bold relief.””

Wrong. If your scapulae are sitting tightly where they belong (against the ribcage) they won’t be sticking out.

[/quote]

Could you explain how someone would look at their back in a mirror without contorting their back at all? Even holding another mirror would require raising one arm which would change what you just wrote.

How did they get so weak all of a sudden?

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
ATO Memphis,

The original poster doesn’t understand the FACT that protruding scapulae is the same goddam thing as “structural imbalance”. He thinks his posture is “ok” cause he doesn’t know what he is talking about. Just tryin to shine some light on the facts here.

An aesthetic issue it may be, if wants it to go away he needs to retract the scapulae which = correcting the imbalance.

It’s so friggin logical that it hurts! :slight_smile:

No worries here about hard feelings btw.[/quote]

nothing hurts

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
CU,

The harsh reality is that your scapulae stick out because they are weak. They are weak because you let them be. If the habit is too ingrained then consider “Rolfing”. It is highly reccomended.[/quote]

Rolfing… you’re creative, you, funny guy.

so I didn’t intend for this to be a waving of ones pricks in this thread, which is exactly what it’s turned to, but oh well, we’ll just have to weed through the shit.

which is too bad because I doubt I’m the only person with this problem, and wouldn’t mind addressing it.

Oh well, moving on…

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
ATO Memphis,

The original poster doesn’t understand the FACT that protruding scapulae is the same goddam thing as “structural imbalance”. He thinks his posture is “ok” cause he doesn’t know what he is talking about. Just tryin to shine some light on the facts here.

An aesthetic issue it may be, if wants it to go away he needs to retract the scapulae which = correcting the imbalance.

It’s so friggin logical that it hurts! :slight_smile:

No worries here about hard feelings btw.

nothing hurts[/quote]

BUT WAIT…It MUST hurt. You MUST have a serious disorder!!! You just don’t know what your talking about. I have decided you have hepato-neural-myogenic-follicular-scapularitis. I can tell this because you didn’t use proper punctuation at the end of your last post which is a clear sign of this devastating disease.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
CU AeroStallion wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
ATO Memphis,

The original poster doesn’t understand the FACT that protruding scapulae is the same goddam thing as “structural imbalance”. He thinks his posture is “ok” cause he doesn’t know what he is talking about. Just tryin to shine some light on the facts here.

An aesthetic issue it may be, if wants it to go away he needs to retract the scapulae which = correcting the imbalance.

It’s so friggin logical that it hurts! :slight_smile:

No worries here about hard feelings btw.

nothing hurts

BUT WAIT…It MUST hurt. You MUST have a serious disorder!!! You just don’t know what your talking about. I have decided you have hepato-neural-myogenic-follicular-scapularitis. I can tell this because you didn’t use proper punctuation at the end of your last post which is a clear sign of this devastating disease. [/quote]

haha… yeah, I figured as much, shit

that was so logical that it hurt!