Protien Requirements

I know that the required protein for muscle building and fat burning is 1 gram per pound of bodywieght.
With being a forty year old fat ol’ fart, does that include all of my wieght or what my supposed ideal weight is? I am supposed to wiegh 170 pounds at 5’9 however I weigh in at 235.
235 grams of protein?
Thanks

I have always believed that about the 1 gram per lb of body weight but i think an easy way too tell if your getting enough protein is your level of soreness after training. If you just started training then most likely you’ll be sore for a couple days. However, if you’ve been training for a couple months and you still get sore for like a couple days after training then increase your protein consumption. I would shoot for protein consumption thats closer to your ideal weight.

shoot for protein consumption closer to your ideal weight like around 170 too 190 grams per lb of body weight. If you train and find you are sore for a couple days then increase protein consumption.

[quote]jk7777 wrote:
shoot for protein consumption closer to your ideal weight like around 170 too 190 grams per lb of body weight. If you train and find you are sore for a couple days then increase protein consumption.[/quote]

WTF?!? If you are sore you need more protein? Ummmm…no.

Wishin,

As far as muscle building goes, there is little benefit to muscle building above and beyond 1.5 grams per KILOGRAM of bodyweight. There are others that will argue this. Of course, many of them have read far too many bodybuilding magazines and not enough (if any) original research.

HOWEVER, increased protein DOES provide many positive effects as far as fat loss is concerned. I’d consider 1lb per pound a happy middle ground between too much and too little.

I’m not exactly sure where you’re getting your IDEAL weight from, but you might consider evaulating yourself by bodyfat percentage as opposed to a so-called ideal weight. I’d go with 1 gram per pound of your total weight.