Protien Drinks, Explain?

Hello,
I am relatively new to body building. I have occasionally lifted wieghts for sports, but never trained seriously. I have started lifting to get my ass back in shape and attempt to live longer than 65, I am 39 now.

The question:

Please explain whey protien to me. I am a register nurse so I might understand the molecular explaination but its not needed.
In specific, give me your feedback on meal replacements, protien shakes and there like.

I have read enough to know the real thing - turkey, chicken, egg whites etc… is best. What makes a Protien meal replacement drink worthy? I have an affinity for Labrada’s products.

My trainer has based my nutritional intake on Phil Kaplans supportive eating, lean protiens, fiberous carbs, and starchy carbs 3 - 3.5 hours while awake. I have done well. Its amazing what muscle building and a reasonable diet can accomplish. 30# and 4 inches in the waist over 12 weeks has sold me.

I feel in control of my body again. Muscles are starting to firm up and work like they should.

Any suggestions and hints would be appreciated.
Thanks,
C

[quote]40forward wrote:
Hello,
I am relatively new to body building. I have occasionally lifted wieghts for sports, but never trained seriously. I have started lifting to get my ass back in shape and attempt to live longer than 65, I am 39 now.

The question:

Please explain whey protien to me. I am a register nurse so I might understand the molecular explaination but its not needed.
In specific, give me your feedback on meal replacements, protien shakes and there like.

Any suggestions and hints would be appreciated.
Thanks,
C[/quote]

Not really sure what you need might want to read the protein roundtable series here the various product threads etc.

They are, protein drinks, essentially easy food targeted. WEhey in general is a fast acting protein dependent on quality, how distilled,pure it is. it is seperated from the other things in milk, the fat, sugar and casein. has i high bioavailibilty, is used and well quiclky. thats the basic. some are more pure then others faster digested, concenttrate, isolate, hydro…

Then you have casein, other protien in milk slow digesting, forms a gell slow sustained release. Think curded cottage cheese, curds and whey, whey is largely a byproduct of the cheese industry or was

that help

Phill

it’s fast acting, so post workout, combined with high GI sugars you get the best recovery and muscle building effects

it can be taken along with a less than ideal meal to boost protein intake

and can just be a convenient quick anti catabolic boost at any time

Whey protein is useful because it:

-comes in a convenient powder form.

-is fairly fast-digesting (I think it peaks in ~2 hours?), which is good in and around workouts and/or for breakfast, when your body has just gone for 8 hours without food.

-has a high biological value (100 or so?), meaning most of the protein in it is “usable” by the body. As a comparison, beef is in the 70s, plant proteins are 50s-70s.

-whey concentrate is supposed to contain sub-fractions and immunoglobulins and things that I’m not terribly familiar with, but that are supposed to be good for you in a way not involving the fact that it’s protein.

-is relatively cheap.

That’s for “whey”, which I assumed to mean the whey concentrate and isolate that you here so much about. Also important to look at when considering protein powders are casein (there are several varieties) and whey hydrolysate. If you want to know about those also, just ask.

checkout this websight, look around and it should give you a good idea what whey is. Do you need it? Well I can buy 4 lbs of chicken breast for 6 bux, but for 4lbs of whey it is 40 bux.